5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Laramie was msrp $59,800. Pricey due to all the features I wanted. But after negotiations, total came out to $50,600 with ttl. Good enough for me.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I was lurking on this thread and in these forums for a long while. Thanks for all the great advice and information here!

On Tuesday, I purchased a Laramie crew cab with the short bed in Maryland...here's what the numbers ended up being:

$57,345 MSRP (including destination)
$42,956 "negotiated price"
$45,250 sale price (includes all discounts, $299 maryland processing fee, $300 title/tags, destination)

Add 6% sales tax to the sale price and that's what I paid to get out the door.

I did not use Chrysler financing else the price would be $500 less. I also did not qualify for any of the highly conditional rebates.

Also, a couple dealers I was working with mentioned the same thing independently to me. Given they couldn't meet the price I wanted to pay, they mentioned sales are not particularly awesome this month for RAM, and they expected to be able to beat my price as soon as middle of next week.

Those dealers said November sales started strong, which is why a couple of the coupons were pulled mid-month. However, sales have slowed dramatically and they expect much stronger incentives next Monday/Tuesday, whenever the black friday rebates and coupons expire.

Obviously, YMMV, they may be applying a lens of the mid-atlantic and they may have just been doing their best to keep me from buying a truck from a competitor, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Eagleone

Reaction score
Thanks cmdr for that insight on the slowing demand. I'm tossing around two deals right now and I'm having a hard time deciding which way I want to go. The truck is a Laramie Sport Crew Cab 4x4. Here's where I'm at...

My first deal is a truck that is about 3 hrs away and it's on the lot, the difference between this truck and the one I'm considering ordering from another dealer is the truck I priced to order would have the off-road package, bed utility package (however they are going to do a spray in bedliner), and the side steps. Otherwise they are basically the same, here's the numbers for the one on the lot and we were strictly talking OTD pricing so I have no idea where the money breaks down to for the first deal.

MSRP: $56,875
OTD price w/ trade in: $28,220 or if I decide to not do the spray in bedliner it would knock off $450

Second deal, dealer about 5 hrs away and would be a factory order

MSRP: $58,175
Dealer discount: $7,565
Rebates: $4,500 (Black Friday 38CK9, Chrysler Cap 39CK2, West BC Retail 70CK1, USAA)
Trade-In: $19,500
Sales Price: $26,610 + tax ($1,796.18) + Fees ($580) = $28,986.18 OTD

When I crunch numbers and calculate percentage below MSRP on each of the trucks they are basically the same, it comes out to about 49% below. What would you do? I guess in the end I'm getting more bang for the buck if I order since it already includes the bed liner, side steps, and the off-road package which I really like.

4sallypat

Reaction score
I was lurking on this thread and in these forums for a long while. Thanks for all the great advice and information here!

On Tuesday, I purchased a Laramie crew cab with the short bed in Maryland...here's what the numbers ended up being:

$57,345 MSRP (including destination)
$42,956 "negotiated price"
$45,250 sale price (includes all discounts, $299 maryland processing fee, $300 title/tags, destination)

Add 6% sales tax to the sale price and that's what I paid to get out the door.

I did not use Chrysler financing else the price would be $500 less. I also did not qualify for any of the highly conditional rebates.

Also, a couple dealers I was working with mentioned the same thing independently to me. Given they couldn't meet the price I wanted to pay, they mentioned sales are not particularly awesome this month for RAM, and they expected to be able to beat my price as soon as middle of next week.

Those dealers said November sales started strong, which is why a couple of the coupons were pulled mid-month. However, sales have slowed dramatically and they expect much stronger incentives next Monday/Tuesday, whenever the black friday rebates and coupons expire.

Obviously, YMMV, they may be applying a lens of the mid-atlantic and they may have just been doing their best to keep me from buying a truck from a competitor, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

That is one heck of a good deal!
25% off MSRP for a negotiated price is awesome!

Good to hear that RAM may increase incentives next week in December because I gave an offer to my local dealer for a Rebel.
The dealer this month said no but next month he thinks the incentives will increase and he thinks I may be able to get it 17% off MSRP + incentives.

Cannonball

Reaction score
@cmdr bobert your dealer removed the destination charge to reach you're nego price then added it back in? If so that's quite the penny pinching on their part.

Regardless, seems you won overall at what i calculate to be 22.1% off msrp. Good deal! And a big thank you for the insight on your dealer's impressions of what December incentives may be!

glennf14

Reaction score
Bought a rebel e torque L2 with pano sunroof. MSRP 60600 got for 51200 before ttl. Used affiliate code.
Didn't qualify for the 0/72 That really sucked but.. bought from capital in Garner, nc. Probably could have negotiated a little better but It was about 6pm and I caved lol
congrats! good looking truck. i'm in holly springs

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Hey Rancid - I had the same problems about being sure that I could see the full inventory of all RAMs on all lots in the entire US so I wrote a script to scrape Ram's webpage for all the trucks they have (software guy here)... If you tell me the exact option codes you want I could run it through and let you know if any of your trucks exist. I know for a fact that the truck I want doesn't exist anywhere (Laramie, 6' box, bench seats, e-torque hemi, off road group, 12" display, bed utility group...).

Wow, thanks!

Longhorn, two tone (any), 4x4, Equip Group 1, Security Group, Twin Panel, V8 etorque.

Things I don't want - air suspension, towing package.

Thanks Red!

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
@cmdr bobert your dealer removed the destination charge to reach you're nego price then added it back in? If so that's quite the penny pinching on their part.

Regardless, seems you won overall at what i calculate to be 22.1% off msrp. Good deal! And a big thank you for the insight on your dealer's impressions of what December incentives may be!

They did not - that is more context for others as I couldn't tell in reading all the posts where that fee is factored in to price.

Jhalter23

Reaction score
Been reading this thread for a while and appreciate all the info you all have shared.

Two questions
Has anyone in Colorado gotten 10k off MSRP? The best I've done is get a Limited from 63k MSRP to 56k including rebates thus negating the financing option currently available. I've reached out to about 8 dealers in metro Denver and that's about as good as I've seen. This seems more costly than many others are getting. Earlier in the thread someone referenced the inflated prices in Denver, curious if that's still the case.

Secondly, I looked online at Boise Idaho dealer Dennis Dillon who had prices much lower (63k MSRP down to 51,572) Has anyone flown in from out of state and driven their car back home? I'm in Northern Colorado so it'd only be 12 hours and a good opportunity to get to know my new truck! Thank you in advance!

geotex1

Reaction score
To add to the rumor mill... My selling dealer was completely new to me, but phone conversations were good and in-person was even better as I was first in the door in the morning and very quickly found common ground with the salesman, sales manager, fellow who does the trade-in appraisals, and the finance guy fairly fast! I used to be a consulting engineer, and made my living by selling my services through common ground.

Long story short, there was some pretty strong insight that after expiration of Black Friday rebates, there will be a very strong offering for year-end clearance on in-stock vehicles only, but it also won't be seen until the week of 10-December. The dealership I bought from is a super high volume, so I did not really want to gamble as it was the only truck on the lot within 500 miles ticking the majority for me. I must have had a good poker face as the sales manager sweetened the pot throwing in two coupons totaling another $750 off a price I was already happy with.

geotex1

Reaction score
Been reading this thread for a while and appreciate all the info you all have shared.

Two questions
Has anyone in Colorado gotten 10k off MSRP? The best I've done is get a Limited from 63k MSRP to 56k including rebates thus negating the financing option currently available. I've reached out to about 8 dealers in metro Denver and that's about as good as I've seen. This seems more costly than many others are getting. Earlier in the thread someone referenced the inflated prices in Denver, curious if that's still the case.

Secondly, I looked online at Boise Idaho dealer Dennis Dillon who had prices much lower (63k MSRP down to 51,572) Has anyone flown in from out of state and driven their car back home? I'm in Northern Colorado so it'd only be 12 hours and a good opportunity to get to know my new truck! Thank you in advance!

Make sure you qualify for that price before you book anything! I'm sure you know that some dealers reduce the MSRP with every possible rebate that 90% of buyers don't qualify for. There are also some different regional rebates. In my lifetime, I have purchased several vehicles out-of-state like this. My two pieces of advice, travel pre-approved for financing if you have to finance - gives you a stronger bargaining position, and be completely OK with the possibility for not having success! I have had this happen 3 times and returned home empty-handed. You have to be good with this possibility and the expense, because if you are in a mindset that you cannot waste the trip you will compromise and definitely feel unsatisfied later on.

Jhalter23

Reaction score
Make sure you qualify for that price before you book anything! I'm sure you know that some dealers reduce the MSRP with every possible rebate that 90% of buyers don't qualify for. There are also some different regional rebates. In my lifetime, I have purchased several vehicles out-of-state like this. My two pieces of advice, travel pre-approved for financing if you have to finance - gives you a stronger bargaining position, and be completely OK with the possibility for not having success! I have had this happen 3 times and returned home empty-handed. You have to be good with this possibility and the expense, because if you are in a mindset that you cannot waste the trip you will compromise and definitely feel unsatisfied later on.

Thanks for that feedback, REALLY helpful.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
Thanks cmdr for that insight on the slowing demand. I'm tossing around two deals right now and I'm having a hard time deciding which way I want to go. The truck is a Laramie Sport Crew Cab 4x4. Here's where I'm at...

My first deal is a truck that is about 3 hrs away and it's on the lot, the difference between this truck and the one I'm considering ordering from another dealer is the truck I priced to order would have the off-road package, bed utility package (however they are going to do a spray in bedliner), and the side steps. Otherwise they are basically the same, here's the numbers for the one on the lot and we were strictly talking OTD pricing so I have no idea where the money breaks down to for the first deal.

MSRP: $56,875
OTD price w/ trade in: $28,220 or if I decide to not do the spray in bedliner it would knock off $450

Second deal, dealer about 5 hrs away and would be a factory order

MSRP: $58,175
Dealer discount: $7,565
Rebates: $4,500 (Black Friday 38CK9, Chrysler Cap 39CK2, West BC Retail 70CK1, USAA)
Trade-In: $19,500
Sales Price: $26,610 + tax ($1,796.18) + Fees ($580) = $28,986.18 OTD

When I crunch numbers and calculate percentage below MSRP on each of the trucks they are basically the same, it comes out to about 49% below. What would you do? I guess in the end I'm getting more bang for the buck if I order since it already includes the bed liner, side steps, and the off-road package which I really like.

My understanding of factory orders are the rebates you get are whatever is valid when the order is delivered, not the rebates available when you place the order.

Second - I wouldn't figure your discount using the trade in, this way you continue to compare apples to apples.

For the dealer with the truck on the lot...it's still the end of the month tomorrow. Since it can't hurt, I'd let them know you *heard* the incentives are going to be better in a couple weeks from other dealers and you're inclined to wait, and ask what they can do to lower the price if you agree to purchase by tomorrow.

Worst case, you still buy the truck. Best case, they have a reason to move it and decide to knock a few more bucks off.

All JMO.

WKH

Reaction score
Haven’t had any luck with any dealers on Florida dropping price to what I’ve seen in this thread. Today started getting emails back saying we’ll make a deal but no numbers. One called to ask how my experience was???....I said fine but I offered 55k to there 59,999 & only got no more room??‍♂️ We’ll see what happens tomm?

Eagleone

Reaction score
cmdr, I've already proposed that to them. They took another $500 off citing the eTorque rebate I told them started up again, then they said oh but we have to charge $389 for dealer doc so they basically came down $111. I told them thanks but no thanks, I'll wait I'm in no rush for a new truck my Titan is just fine for now until camping season. Also, I've very good with numbers I've figured the pricing both with and without a trade in. Both Dennis Dillion and Fremont dealerships were pretty close about a 1% apart from MSRP. The difference is one truck is exactly the way I want and the other I'm paying for a couple options I don't care about.

Jhalter, in response to Dennis Dillion. They are the other dealer I made reference to, I've been talking to them for about a week and they seem pretty stand up. Their prices are as advertised, I got an itemized break down from MSRP to out the door there was no funny business. The only reason I haven't immediately pulled the trigger with them is because it would have to be a factory order since they don't have any trucks on the lot. Having said that they price their factory orders exactly like they do the ones on the website. Also locally I've been offered $21k on my truck, Dennis Dillion only offered $19k and they aren't up for negotiation, they are a no negotiation dealer. Trust me I've tried.

Eagleone

Reaction score
Also, as far as rebates go when ordering and I think I've seen this on the forum as well; the dealer told me the rebates that are active at the time of order stand. If any additional rebates come up or increase upon delivery those are added to the price. So essentially they price can go down but it will not increase. I'd imagine if they didn't do it this way they would lose out on customers due to the risk involved with missing out on rebates.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, as far as rebates go when ordering and I think I've seen this on the forum as well; the dealer told me the rebates that are active at the time of order stand. If any additional rebates come up or increase upon delivery those are added to the price. So essentially they price can go down but it will not increase. I'd imagine if they didn't do it this way they would lose out on customers due to the risk involved with missing out on rebates.

Correct - rebates are locked at time of order but if they are better at the time of delivery you get those.

You guys are getting pretty darn good deals right now.

Jhalter23

Reaction score
cmdr, I've already proposed that to them. They took another $500 off citing the eTorque rebate I told them started up again, then they said oh but we have to charge $389 for dealer doc so they basically came down $111. I told them thanks but no thanks, I'll wait I'm in no rush for a new truck my Titan is just fine for now until camping season. Also, I've very good with numbers I've figured the pricing both with and without a trade in. Both Dennis Dillion and Fremont dealerships were pretty close about a 1% apart from MSRP. The difference is one truck is exactly the way I want and the other I'm paying for a couple options I don't care about.

Jhalter, in response to Dennis Dillion. They are the other dealer I made reference to, I've been talking to them for about a week and they seem pretty stand up. Their prices are as advertised, I got an itemized break down from MSRP to out the door there was no funny business. The only reason I haven't immediately pulled the trigger with them is because it would have to be a factory order since they don't have any trucks on the lot. Having said that they price their factory orders exactly like they do the ones on the website. Also locally I've been offered $21k on my truck, Dennis Dillion only offered $19k and they aren't up for negotiation, they are a no negotiation dealer. Trust me I've tried.

Thanks for that info. I'm asking them for a pricing breakdown so I can look at the 0 percent for 72 months vs taking the rebates and financing elsewhere

Eagleone

Reaction score
currently that 0% for 72 months is going to cost you $4k in rebates since I'm putting so much down through my trade it doesn't make sense for me to do it.

glennf14

Reaction score
currently that 0% for 72 months is going to cost you $4k in rebates since I'm putting so much down through my trade it doesn't make sense for me to do it.
Good point, make sure ya'll do the math on whether you're better off taking the incentives versus taking the 0% for 72 months. Look at your total cost if you took the 0% financing, then look at your total cost if took the incentives (the cost of the truck plus the interest you'll pay over the life of the loan).

Users who are viewing this thread