5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
isnt the suspension in the laramie upgraded? I didnt think the difference was just leather seating
Suspension is the same. The only suspensions I know of are the 4x2, 4x4, ORG, air, and Rebel (I'm not sure if there are any variations between the 3.7L, 5.7L, and EcoDiesel engine options due to weight difference). You can even get air suspension on a Tradesman and Big Horn.

Some of the features are standard instead of options (like LED headlights, Alpine audio) and there are some features specific to only the "higher" trims - leather seats, ventilated seats, driver memory buttons, Keyless & Go, and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting (like reclining/heated/ventilated rear seats and the HK audio).

My wife doesn't have any interest in driving my truck (she didn't drive my last one for the 11 years I had it) so the memory buttons would be nice but hardly used. The only real option I couldn't get in a Big Horn was the leather seats (which I really wanted) but it wasn't worth it to me to either pay $9000 more for the Laramie version of my Big Horn (not in my budget) or lose all the 'cool stuff' (sport package, ORG, BUG, etc.) and have a bare-bones Laramie.

The cloth seats are more than doable (they are w-a-y nicer than the 4th gen) and are harder to get dog hair out of but I'll probably get some Katzkin covers down the road and then I'll have my leather seats.

Others will probably have different opinions but I am more than happy with the truck I picked. Plus it was almost impossible to find a Laramie with the ORG that wasn't black when I was looking.

Rau

Reaction score
Suspension is the same. The only suspensions I know of are the 4x2, 4x4, ORG, air, and Rebel (I'm not sure if there are any variations between the V-6 and V-8 due to weight difference). You can even get air suspension on a Big Horn.

Some of the features are standard instead of options (like LED headlights, Alpine audio) and there are some features specific to only the "higher" trims - leather seats, ventilated seats, driver memory buttons, Keyless & Go, and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting (like reclining/heated/ventilated rear seats and the HK audio).

My wife doesn't have any interest in driving my truck (she didn't drive my last one for the 11 years I had it) so the memory buttons would be nice but hardly used. The only real option I couldn't get in a Big Horn was the leather seats (which I really wanted) but it wasn't worth it to me to either pay $9000 more for the Laramie version of my Big Horn (not in my budget) or lose all the 'cool stuff' (sport package, ORG, BUG, etc.) and have a bare-bones Laramie.

The cloth seats are more than doable (they are w-a-y nicer than the 4th gen) and are harder to get dog hair out of but I'll probably get some Katzkin covers down the road and then I'll have my leather seats.

Others will probably have different opinions but I am more than happy with the truck I picked. Plus it was almost impossible to find a Laramie with the ORG that wasn't black when I was looking.

What is ORG and BUG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rau

Reaction score
Thank you for quick responses!

I thought that Laramie in a base level or with level 1 equipment is almost equal to big horn.

One thing I really like in Laramie is standard ventilated seat and they are not available in big horn.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the Equipment Group that you get.

I think the 7" EVIC is standard for Laramies and up and you have to get the Level 2 Equipment Group in a Big Horn to get that.

It looks like the Equipment Groups line up off by 1 for the most part (Big Horn Level 1 is a Laramie base, Big Horn Level 2 is a Laramie Level 1) with some minor differences - I don't have rain sensing wipers or auto-dimming high beams. That would also mean that the Laramie has a different sensor in the mirror that has the capability of more features (Big Horns don't have the tech group that has lane assist, adaptive cruise control, parking assist, etc.).

Even though they have similar functions there are some underlying differences in the behind-the-scenes gear.

Reactions: Rau

spiG

Reaction score
Currently looking at a 2020 1500 Big Horn 5.7 etorque, 3.92, 12" Nav, Night Edition, Trailer brake, 9 Speakers with sub, rear liners.

MSRP $54,150
Discount $7346
Rebate $7000
+ $1695 Freight + tax/title/fee
= $44,232.24

I'm in NC and this is in VA, would have to drive 4 hours to get it just deciding if I want to wait and get the Built to Serve (won't get the discounts like this) or just get this one. Love either or.

Last edited:

Rau

Reaction score
Reading this thread I am getting an impression that there are more total discounts on Big Horns compared to Laramies. Am I getting it right?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently looking at a 2020 1500 Big Horn 5.7 etorque, 3.92, 12" Nav, Night Edition, Trailer brake, 9 Speakers with sub, rear liners.

MSRP $54,150
Discount $7346
Rebate $7000
= $44,232.24

I'm in NC and this is in VA, would have to drive 4 hours to get it just deciding if I want to wait and get the Built to Serve (won't get the discounts like this) or just get this one. Love either or.
That looks to be 26% off MSRP which is is a great deal, especially in this COVID market. I don't think you're going to find a better deal than that. I got 18% off of mine last year when there was inventory.

Reading this thread I am getting an impression that there are more total discounts on Big Horns compared to Laramies. Am I getting it right?
Yep. When I bought my truck there was an additional $5000 FCA factory incentive if you bought a Big Horn....so I did. ;)

There's usually an additional incentive for Big Horns. I don't know if they are trying to get people to buy a new truck, upsell from a Tradesman, or if they are trying to bolster the Big Horn numbers so that the Laramies, Longhorns, and Limiteds are a more exclusive group. I will say that my Big Horn MSRP was $11K more than a base model Laramie. :eek:

Current deal specifically for Big Horns is over $3K factory incentive for a 5.7L + 0% APR with 3 months payment defferal if you finance through Chrysler Capital.

Last edited:

Paultg

Reaction score

MSRP $54,150
Discount $7346
Rebate $7000
= $44,232.24

That seems like a great deal. Also note the MSRP typically included the +$1695 destination, so make sure they aren't adding that back in by mistake.
Check the window sticker for actual MSRP. You can look it up online with the vin at https://windowstickerlookup.com/

2 Pulled Hammys

Reaction score

MSRP $54,150
Discount $7346
Rebate $7000
= $44,232.24

That seems like a great deal. Also note the MSRP typically included the +$1695 destination, so make sure they aren't adding that back in by mistake.
Check the window sticker for actual MSRP. You can look it up online with the vin at https://windowstickerlookup.com/

I don't think it's by mistake. Standard operating procedure for most of the VA dealers. Remove freight from dealer discount, then add it back in as separate line item. More like a 23% discount on this one once the freight is thrown back in, which is on par with most of the Big Horn sales posted here of late. Fair to good deal in the current market IMO. If it's the truck you want I wouldn't be afraid to take that deal.

baccigalup

Reaction score
I think I am gonna regret not going for this deal as I don't see many of these left, but at ten percent off msrp after reading these threads I know there are better deals than this. I would walk off with a Lamarie paying 64k with tax and fees.....I think that's high from What I'm reading. I gave the dealer my offer today for 61k otd I might be stupid holding off for another 2k and then getting less on my trade but I would also be getting a car thats a year newer. I just hope waiting till nov pays off.

Tonner

Reaction score
Looks like ill be getting more of a rebate on my 2021 than I expected. $2K rebate right off the bat isn't too bad?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 8.22.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 8.22.08 PM.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 70

AK103

Reaction score
Looks like ill be getting more of a rebate on my 2021 than I expected. $2K rebate right off the bat isn't too bad?

$500 of that is for financing with Chrysler capital.

Betkemd

Reaction score
Laramie level 1, 12 inch screen, sport appearance, hemi, 33 gallon tank, under seat storage

Msrp is $57740
Price they have me at is $50,321

Do you think I can get them lower? Near 49k?

Any tips to get them down lower? Any new rebates on 2020 laramie?

Employee pricing and they said they cant go lower, but i want them to go down lower to 49.

jm192

Reaction score
Laramie level 1, 12 inch screen, sport appearance, hemi, 33 gallon tank, under seat storage

Msrp is $57740
Price they have me at is $50,321

Do you think I can get them lower? Near 49k?

Any tips to get them down lower? Any new rebates on 2020 laramie?

Employee pricing and they said they cant go lower, but i want them to go down lower to 49.

Can they get lower? Sure. Are they motivated to?

I do believe you get the best deals at the end of the season/month/year. If you're inclined to wait 4 weeks, they might give you another 1,000 off. But they may also sell your truck.

Look at other dealers. Try Cargurus and Truecar. Maybe someone else will get you to where you want to be.

You can talk numbers and show them where such and such dealership has it for 49,000. Such and such may be using some shady tactics. I've seen dealerships advertise their internet price where they give you every rebate in existence to make their internet price the best. Then they tell you that you don't get several of those once you're there in person.

One dealership had stupid good prices. They were doing all of the rebates. They were also subtracting the Destination fee and then putting it in the fine print that the price didn't include it. It's in the MSRP. In what world would you offer me a price without that? What a joke.

My point is--you can cite better prices, but those better prices may not be legit.

Laramie's are super nice, and this one sounds especially loaded. If this is the truck you want, and you've spent time haggling it--sometimes your best move is just to buy it. It's human nature to want to feel like we won or got the best deal we could. If they had it at 49K, we'd want it at 48K. And that's not a shot at you--that's all of us. But, Leaving and risking someone else buying the truck in order to save 1,000$ doesn't make a ton of sense to me. You're shopping for 50,000$ trucks, so I have to assume the extra 1,000 and interest won't break you.

wmkidde

Reaction score
This all sounds like it was written by a dealer to mislead the uninformed so they can put more money in their pocket. If you can't get a new truck for at least 10% off sticker you have no deal. Invoice should be the starting point of your negotiation because the dealer is still making profit and holdback on that amount. With their volume discounts from the manufacturer it can mean several percentage points below invoice for them. Any time you see pieces on paper like shown here they are a prop and not a true reflection of what a dealer would actually receive for new cars delivered. The closer to the new model year the greater the discount. Last year Chevy and GMC had $18,000 off their remaining inventory and they still made a small amount of money on them or would not have sold them at that price. Don't believe everything you read. Especially from a dealer. Car dealers are like politicians. You know what you're getting when their lips are moving.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can't get a new truck for at least 10% off sticker you have no deal. Invoice should be the starting point of your negotiation because the dealer is still making profit and holdback on that amount.
Not everybody. My wife wants a new Toyota Tacoma and they do not deal on those at all. They discount whatever incentive Toyota is offering and not much else. Out of all 7 Toyota dealerships that are within driving distance the best dealer discount I've gotten was $100 off a $36K MSRP.

Last year Chevy and GMC had $18,000 off their remaining inventory and they still made a small amount of money on them or would not have sold them at that price. Don't believe everything you read. Especially from a dealer.
Even at the "dealer's price" (below MSRP) there's some hold back in there for them to make a few bucks on the truck.

You can find the diamond every now and then. Sometimes a dealer will let a vehicle go below cost (e.g. "I just got 30% off a Limited!") when they are trying to meet a goal. Manufacturers provide incentives for reaching certain goals. If they are close to a major one they may lose a few bucks on some vehicles to get the Golden Goose. Those are more luck than strategy though.

Users who are viewing this thread