5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Jtholla

Reaction score
First post... Laramie Ram msrp $62,890. Their final firm price is $48,128. Still trying for a $2000 rebate that they said doesn't work but another dealer said it did... I'm at 23% off. I do have to figure out how to get it 493 miles to my house, shipper wants $498 bucks to ship so I may have to drive or pay up... I'm hoping to close this deal today.
What is your break down between discount and rebates?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think so I'm in New Hampshire but found the truck 2 states away, if it was in NH I'd get another 2k rebate. I might try to call corporate about a coupon or a new code... worth a shot
Thought rebates were based of where it is titled?

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
I haven't had the experience you have had with Auto Trader. I had had trucks come up in the search on the Ram site that do not appear in the Auto Trader search. Example from the Ram site:

or from the dealer site for the same truck:

That dealer, Leith Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM https://www.leithchryslerdodgejeepram.com - does not even come up in a search on the Auto Trader site when doing a 10 mile radius search on the zip code in their address, 28315. I may not be seeing something that is right in front of me (which is not new), but I am not getting the same results you are.
well boys, what can i say?! nothing is 100%!!! BUT i will say that i have found my "dream truck" several times while using Auto Trader Lickety split, and using the RAM Build site constantly turns up matches not even with the RIGHT color, drive or equipment and they'll consider that a "close match"....

And that site is "glitchy as all get out" IF you TRY to save a configuration, you better be careful, because it drops out MAJOR options when you call up the URL it saved for you!

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
well boys, what can i say?! nothing is 100%!!! BUT i will say that i have found my "dream truck" several times while using Auto Trader Lickety split, and using the RAM Build site constantly turns up matches not even with the RIGHT color, drive or equipment and they'll consider that a "close match"....

And that site is "glitchy as all get out" IF you TRY to save a configuration, you better be careful, because it drops out MAJOR options when you call up the URL it saved for you!

The only issue I've had with the RAM site is that if you refresh the inventory match page it defaults back to a 25 mile radius no matter what was selected. You are able to sort by the number of criteria that match your selected options and you can click on the "i" after the "X of X Matches" to see what options are and are not on the vehicle you are looking at. It's nice in that you can sort by the vehicle that has the most option matches. The only other gripe I had was that until a couple of weeks ago, the option of the for "Comfort and Convenience Group" for the Rebel was not listed as an option. That has been corrected.

Also, It seems on the Auto Trader site, most of the Rebel options are not listed by their name. There is no "Luxury Group" option. I don't know if that is supposed to be the Level 1, Level 2 or Rebel 12 option, none of which are listed. They also list things like the "Smoker's Group", "Mopar 10 Package", "Protection Group" - never seen these mentioned anywhere else. The "Rear Camera & Park Assist" and "Remote Start and Security Alarm Group" may translate to other available option groups, but that is not what they are called.

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
I've attached a .pdf version of the excel document with zip codes that will cover about 99% of the US with some overlap obviously but I did minimize overlap as much as possible while still covering the majority of the contiguous US (not Alaska or Hawaii). I've also placed the link below to the map I used to make where you can see the 150-mi radius circles that is the maximum Ram allows you to search when using zip codes. You can zoom in and out of the map as you see fit. If this post is found to be useful, perhaps it can be placed as a sticky.

Funny I had the same idea and was doing the same thing manually as well. Thanks for putting this list together.

jerseyjoe

Reaction score
I've attached a .pdf version of the excel document with zip codes that will cover about 99% of the US with some overlap obviously but I did minimize overlap as much as possible while still covering the majority of the contiguous US (not Alaska or Hawaii). I've also placed the link below to the map I used to make where you can see the 150-mi radius circles that is the maximum Ram allows you to search when using zip codes. You can zoom in and out of the map as you see fit. If this post is found to be useful, perhaps it can be placed as a sticky.

Heminator, thank you for this. That will be very helpful although the tips about AutoTrader seem to have helped as well. I did find two that are very close to what I want, the closer match being in southern Florida but that's over $5k more than the one in the midwest for no apparent reason.

deucehearts

Reaction score
I have been reading through this forum and just wanted to say congrats to the members that are getting these good deals. I'm in the NW suburbs of Chicago and can't get anything close. The best I got so far was about $3000 off MSRP. It seems like most around my area dont want to negotiate (at least with me). I had a Laramie at MSRP $63,000 and the internet and phone price down to $55,000. I stated I needed to test drive before talking any further and when I got done they said the hard price is now $61,000. How do you do it? Where are these magical dealerships that actually work deals? I will gladly pay the $500 delivery from out of state another member was talking about. I have played dumb and I have also gone in informed (that gave me the rudest responses). I have even started looking into using an auto broker (insert eyeroll gif) to do it for me since I feel I'm getting nowhere in three weeks.
Thanks for any input and once again congrats all others getting these great deals.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I have been reading through this forum and just wanted to say congrats to the members that are getting these good deals. I'm in the NW suburbs of Chicago and can't get anything close. The best I got so far was about $3000 off MSRP. It seems like most around my area dont want to negotiate (at least with me). I had a Laramie at MSRP $63,000 and the internet and phone price down to $55,000. I stated I needed to test drive before talking any further and when I got done they said the hard price is now $61,000. How do you do it? Where are these magical dealerships that actually work deals? I will gladly pay the $500 delivery from out of state another member was talking about. I have played dumb and I have also gone in informed (that gave me the rudest responses). I have even started looking into using an auto broker (insert eyeroll gif) to do it for me since I feel I'm getting nowhere in three weeks.
Thanks for any input and once again congrats all others getting these great deals.

Patience. Unless you NEED a truck right now because you just had one totaled or something to that effect (there could be other reasons), just wait. The problem right now is that the manufacturers are offering 0.9% for 84 or 0.0 for 72 and because rebates can't be combined, many dealers are thinking that's their green light to charge as close to MSRP as they can (not actually discounting the trucks much or less than they typically would) in part because the factories have just re-opened and inventory hasn't been flowing from the factories so they've been assuming they're in a strong position. Do your homework, know the price you're willing to pay, and don't settle. I provided a post a few pages back with zip codes you can use to do searches on Ram's site and you can also use auto trader. The dealer's willing to negotiate are transparent and will post their dealer discounts in plain site on their sites. The ones who don't are the ones who are holding out for as close to MSRP as they can get.

It's a business and right now supply and demand aren't necessarily in the buyer's favor. Truck sales have still been fairly good considering what's going on but what the dealers are failing to realize is that the people buying right now are mostly those were about to buy anyway and with 30+ million people unemployed, the market is going to dry up pretty quick and with the factories back open, the inventory will fill up too. I would say June/July we should start to see a shift back to a buyer's market.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look up Kernersville Ram in North Carolina. My son and I bought from them last year and got treated fairly. They aren’t the cheapest (no Koonz type prices and games) but they have their pricing right up front.

Lest anyone think I work for them (some schmuck last year said I did cause’ I mentioned them a few times), I merely own the dealership and about 500 others across the US and Lower Slovakia, but can’t be bothered with the day to day or year to year operations. Just keep da’ checks comin boyz!

Calameda

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while - first time post. Wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great tips and hints. Picked up our Ram 1500 Limited yesterday in Salt Lake. It’s a 2019, nicely loaded. MSRP 67590, paid 52312 before TTL, and skipped all the extras in finance. I’m sure some of the great negotiators on here could have improved a lot on that, but my wife is happy with her truck, and I don’t feel like I got totally hosed, so win win for me. Thanks again to everyone!

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Look up Kernersville Ram in North Carolina. My son and I bought from them last year and got treated fairly. They aren’t the cheapest (no Koonz type prices and games) but they have their pricing right up front.

Lest anyone think I work for them (some schmuck last year said I did cause’ I mentioned them a few times), I merely own the dealership and about 500 others across the US and Lower Slovakia, but can’t be bothered with the day to day or year to year operations. Just keep da’ checks comin boyz!

They aren’t the cheapest (no Koonz type prices and games).
What did you mean by this statement? According to all the posts I’ve read on here from those that have purchased from Koons, they seem happy with the 8% under invoice plus rebates at time of delivery And was a good easy purchase. Where’s the games at? By the amount of your posts (way more than mine), maybe you have heard of more things about Koons than I have. Can you share? Thanks.

Ivan44

Reaction score
Games? I’d like to know as well because I’m about to place an order with Koons. Tired of dealing with the BS in the southeast.
What did you mean by this statement? According to all the posts I’ve read on here from those that have purchased from Koons, they seem happy with the 8% under invoice plus rebates at time of delivery And was a good easy purchase. Where’s the games at? By the amount of your posts (way more than mine), maybe you have heard of more things about Koons than I have. Can you share? Thanks.

Kaag

Reaction score
I remember reading something a week or 2 ago on here about koonz not honoring something if it changed when the actual vehicle arrived from the factory. I can’t remember if it was a rebate or the 0% interest.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I remember reading something a week or 2 ago on here about koonz not honoring something if it changed when the actual vehicle arrived from the factory. I can’t remember if it was a rebate or the 0% interest.

It was said when 0% for 84mo was being offered that Koons would price order protect the 0% but at 5% below invoice not their normal 8% below invoice.

Tcanderson20

Reaction score
It was said when 0% for 84mo was being offered that Koons would price order protect the 0% but at 5% below invoice not their normal 8% below invoice.
Yeah that was me. Some other guy said they were playing games but idk about that. They were straight forward with me.

Boston

Reaction score
Here’s hoping that the production lines ramp up quickly and get trucks to dealers. That’s the best way to keep incentives up and prices down.
That said, I used to be in the Carolinas regularly so Kernsville was never far away. But my nearest Boston dealer Brigham Gill doesn’t play games either.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yeah that was me. Some other guy said they were playing games but idk about that. They were straight forward with me.
It varies by sales staff maybe. There’s been some other reports In the last couple months such as you’ve seen/mentioned but if it is now in the past then thats great.
I had it happen to me but caught it (mostly the haziness about the factory $1695 delivery fee added onto the bottom) before a 12 hour, 1 way drive there.
If I hadn’t been peed-off already at the salesperson due to that failure to mention it on the price, I might have let the sales manager try to save the deal. The sour taste left plus the 24 hours of driving with a less than happy spouse (the truck was for her and she detests car buying) did it for me.
Maybe my experience was a “one-off” but since it happened, I said “games”.
Even then their price was still a couple K below what I paid for locally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ha ha, don’t go by # of posts, probably 1000 of them have been letting new owners know about the “Bonus Drive” $250 rebate check offer, which I’ve since quit doing.
Yes I’ve heard of a few things positive and not so, and even have mentioned they are a low price volume dealer on the east coast to some folks, so it's been both ways.
Edited 5-23-2020: I could care less if someone buys from their dealer down the street or travels 3000 miles, it’s their money. Just be an informed buyer and don’t simply look at advertised prices from any dealer.
Here’s the fine print on the bottom describing Kz’s approach to pricing, just so you are aware before you go there (note the bolding you see is mine):
“We make every effort to provide accurate information, but please verify options and price before purchasing. All vehicles are subject to prior sale. All prices are special internet prices only. All financing is subject to approved credit. All prices exclude freight. All prices exclude tax, tags, and processing fee of $799. WOW prices include all applicable rebates and incentives. Additional rebates and incentives, such as Military or College Graduate programs, may apply to those who qualify. WOW pricing may not be compatible with special factory financing. WOW prices are valid based on manufacturer incentive program time periods, which vary by make. See dealer for details.”

**Please note that many/all dealers have “fine print” that you have to watch out for. The place I bought from had a $699 dealer fee and I was in a corner cause’ my wife wanted THAT truck, so I was kinda stuck. After 33 years of marriage, walking out over $699 wasn’t an option....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread