5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I went to bunch of dealers aggressively shopping 2500s, Ended up trading in the lifted rebel for 36k but I took my bed cover lol (cost me 1100), left my amp steps which I wanted to take but they wouldn’t go for it lol, and got a ecodiesel limited. Sort of wild card. Didn’t want a limited because I hate all the self driving nonsense but when I saw it, optioned the way I like, I wanted it. Really wanted a diesel, just didn’t want to spend that much on a Cummins and don’t need all the HD aspects of it, and this hopefully is going to turn out to be a ocol

I’ll have to post the numbers when I get out, but I’m right around 14% dealer with zero fees. Took the 0% at 84 months.

Looking to do the new FTS kit when it comes out (6-8” kit) and maybe be able to get 17-18mpg vs the 14 or way less I struggle with now.
Congratulations! Let's see pics!

keyser soze

Reaction score
You can get the exact invoice from searching, but %7 off MSRP is pretty close. You can use %3 for holdback. So %10 off MSRP for a dealer discount. That's generally the high end of a good deal. %15 off MSRP is a great deal.
Can't say i agree with that part of the statement...but if YOU think that is a good deal then it is. That's all that really matters anyway.

There's a dealer in my area with advertised prices of 20k off MSRP $47k +/- with all incentives and dealer discounts on 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel Tradesmans (roughly 40-43% off MSRP, option dependent) and i'm still reluctant.

On the 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel Laramies, roughly $53k MSRP the total discount is about $15k, about 28%...and they refuse to negotiate past advertised prices.

Just before the quatantine i was in negotiaions for the very same priced Laramie at another dealership for roughly 35% off MSRP with all incentives and dealer cash, but the dealership got closed down for several days and now has done away with the dealer cash.

I agree that dealerships don't seem to be very motivated during theses times as several people have told me that they will not negotiate past what is advertised on their websites. If that's going to be the case, then i'd rather wait or pay a little more for a factory build and get EXACTLY the truck i want.

VirtualRam

Reaction score
Can't say i agree with that part of the statement...but if YOU think that is a good deal then it is. That's all that really matters anyway.

There's a dealer in my area with advertised prices of 20k off MSRP $47k +/- with all incentives and dealer discounts on 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel Tradesmans (roughly 40-43% off MSRP, option dependent) and i'm still reluctant.

On the 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel Laramies, roughly $53k MSRP the total discount is about $15k, about 28%...and they refuse to negotiate past advertised prices.

Just before the quatantine i was in negotiaions for the very same priced Laramie at another dealership for roughly 35% off MSRP with all incentives and dealer cash, but the dealership got closed down for several days and now has done away with the dealer cash.

I agree that dealerships don't seem to be very motivated during theses times as several people have told me that they will not negotiate past what is advertised on their websites. If that's going to be the case, then i'd rather wait or pay a little more for a factory build and get EXACTLY the truck i want.

Ahh, meant to say %15 off MSRP for dealer discount is a great deal. I'd walk from a deal at only %15 total from MSRP.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So did you have the option of the 14% from the dealer plus either the 0% or the rebates? Or is the rebates in the 14%?

14% and then yea the choice between rebates or 0%. They actually offered me outside financing for 1.9% 72 months but the payment was higher than I wanted lol. It actually would have been less over all, 600 something I believe. But I chose the payment savings.

i paid about 1800 more than I REALLY a wanted to, wanted 15% and another 500-1k in trade but this truck was optioned exactly how I wanted:

body color
Level 1
22s
Ecodiesel

No other fluff. Although I wanted 3.92, after driving it with the diesel I think the 3.21 are going to be ok. If I hate them post lift, guess I’m spending some money on swapping in a 3.92 diff.

NJC1684

Reaction score
Dealer pissed me off misrepresenting the truck sales price plus I had two other deals on hold or $1000 less than his with no addons. His truck was $49K after the add-ons. I had two other deals at $48,3 and $48,1 with no addons, all three trucks have an MSRP of $64,530

Which one did you get & what options?

NJC1684

Reaction score
Ahh, meant to say %15 off MSRP for dealer discount is a great deal. I'd walk from a deal at only %15 total from MSRP.

I read it wrong the first time I read it this afternoon as well. Then while typing my response I caught it. lol

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Which one did you get & what options?

Neither, decided to gamble and see what the truck market does with Covid19.
I'm looking at a 4x2 Limited, etorque 5.7 with Level 1, pano sunroof , 3:21 gear which these trucks had but I really want the MF tailgate too and none had it. Seems that limited with multi-function tailgates are still hard to find and my hope is that as the model year goes on that they will become easier to find.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Since nothing really to do i thought, hell, maybe its time to trade up to a Laramie & FINALLY have my dang proximity key back since all the incentives are great and i am a "wicked negotiator"....lol

Well, let me tell you, the price negotiated off MSRP is a breeze, what i found impossible to the point where i was "DONE even trying after the 3rd dealer i contacted" was my trade.

Now trust me when i tell you, i have traded brand new RAMS after only 6-9 months of ownership before, and never, ever, ever, never thats "n-e-v-e-r" been offered such lowball amounts. My fully loaded 2 WD 2019 Lone Star that should easily have fetched 32-35 with only 7500 miles on it & having every option under the sun INCLUDING RAMBOX, Pano Roof Nav LED Etc (only lacking e-torque & 4 corner suspension ($55,000 MSRP July 2019) only fetched offers of $25,000 to $26,500...

By the 3rd offer, the guy was like, "yeah its horrible... All the auctions are closed, no one's bidding on anything...real mess" (And you add to it no dealers know how to appraise any way any more- they strictly go by book value...period).. plus, I think if you couple that fact with how heavily discounted the trucks are, last years trucks don't stand a chance for trade in value : (

But i will say this, it is a dang shame that the BEST trucks ram ever made, heck any Mfg ever made, have the WORST resale....

So sadly there will NOT be an early trade in for this gal... Which is ok, i STILL love Black Beauty The Sequel : ) But i will say , had i gotten a decent amount for her, i woulda easily been the proud new owner of this one: Already had her name picked out "Winterfell" : )

southern.jpg

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea my truck should have brought an easy 38, even 40 on the high end and I took 36k. I wasn’t as disciplined lol. Here she is:

msrp $69,640
Price paid 59,840
Dealer discount 9800 (14%)
0% APR 84 month
No fees or additional fees
Trade: 36k (really worth ~38 IMO)

I think they made money on the trade FOR SURE.

Attachments

• 38BF862C-0271-45C6-A73C-4B2AE565405E.jpeg
    38BF862C-0271-45C6-A73C-4B2AE565405E.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

chrisnack

Reaction score
I could find MF tailgate all day, couldn’t find Rambox.

if you are trading in less than a year you are gonna lose your *** every time. Done it many times. My last 5 vehicles I had less than a year.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

if you are trading in less than a year you are gonna lose your *** every time. Done it many times. My last 5 vehicles I had less than a year.

that has no bearing on actual trade values right now. Of course it depreciates. I made that comment in reference to the other folks mentioning low trades.

Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Yea my truck should have brought an easy 38, even 40 on the high end and I took 36k. I wasn’t as disciplined lol. Here she is:

msrp $69,640
Price paid 59,840
Dealer discount 9800 (14%)
0% APR 84 month
No fees or additional fees
Trade: 36k (really worth ~38 IMO)

I think they made money on the trade FOR SURE.
Hi Ho Silver :) What year was your trade? Was it the REBEL in your signature?!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Ho Silver :) What year was your trade? Was it the REBEL in your signature?!

yes. 2019 rebel 23k miles, 6” lift, amp steps, I took the bed cover and forged wheels. Traded it in on my other “winter” set of grid wheels. 59k sticker, I paid 48k. I think the June sales really ranked the resale, people were buying my truck for like 44k last June. I still think my truck was worth about 38k, but I did see a couple used ones listed with similar options for 41 ish. So maybe not. I saw a used rebel 12 with sunroof for 43k. So that’s not good lol. As new prices get more aggressive, the used market is going to take a hit too. At least for trade values.... you can never really win it seems.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
. I think the June sales really ranked the resale, people were .... you can never really win it seems.

grrrr I USED to win all the time :(

I, like you, looked for similar vehicles to mine to see what they were going for and like you saw them selling for only 2000 or so over what they were quoting so that's why I gave up....

Ain't no way in the world I would let this Black Beauty be plundered out of my hands for 26K! Fully loaded and less than 7500 on clock?! I'd rather WALK everywhere... Lol 23970368-74B0-4DD8-AF71-0DE55AC379C5.jpeg

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score

Have to disagree. Every single truck i traded in that was LESS than a year old, i easily was offered within 1500.00 to 2,000 less than i settled on. I usually "steal my truck" from a dealer, i've always underpaid or walked away, so early trade in is never really an issue if i wanted the newer one bad enuf... This time around, bids were 6-8,000 under my target, so its more how poor resale is than the "normal hit you take"... it simply would have been positively bonkers to even entertain their offers.....

And i soooo get it on the RAMBOX... never ever enjoyed an option so much, surpasses the pano roof in terms of my most fav option everrrrrrrrrrrr : )

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also didn’t realize until I was there they cut the big discounts on the 19s, 3k rebate and did away with 0% 84 on them. So as soon as the 2020 picked the 5k cash rebate and 0% 84 that immediately crushed 19 used values. All part of the circle....

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted or not (sorry if it’s a repost), but it seems FCA has set a goal of restarting up production on May 4th. So this also could move the rebates in one direction or another depending on how you view the overall COVID19 pandemic. While FCA may start back up, it may be a while to fully recover the job losses by so many. Anyways I just thought I would share the article.

https://moparinsiders.com/fca-plans-to-restart-production-for-u-s-canada-on-may-4th/

I’m still on the hunt myself for a loaded Limited 4X4 But I think I finally found one with MFT, RamBox, Pano, eTorque, 33 gal, 4X4, 22” wheels, Level 1, Body color bumpers, Black interior, 12.5” screen. Just waiting on the rebates to get sweeter. MSRP is $71,700, their best price now is $58,989. No dealer in Atlanta area has one built this way. Was going for Granite Crystal but found this one in Delmonico Red. That’s my favorite color anyways.
Happy hunting!

Jeffjjones

Reaction score
I don't know much about trucks, never owned one but want to buy one. Need your advice.

Looking for Limited 4X4. I am not planning to tow anything or haul anything. Just want a truck because I have never owned one in my life. Willing to pay cash or get a loan and pay it off right away. Not in a rush as this would be an extra vehicle. Will put about 4000 miles at most per year and plan to own it forever, if I can. Not trading in anything.

I just want a good looking truck. My personal preference is for chrome bumpers but I see many of you like body colored ones. Here are my questions:

1. What features I should absolutely get? Isn't premium sound, panaromic sunroof and 12.5 inch screen standard on all limited?
2. I do not understand hold back, and dealer rebates. Someone else asked for these a few pages back. There was a detailed reply but I still do not understand them well. My plan is to ask for out the door price regardless of where the discounts are coming from. I purchased my last two cars (sedan and SUV) using this strategy and it worked well. Would this work for a truck as well?

I intend to wait for the prices to get better than they are. Have waited for over a year now for the truck and I feel i am close to getting it now.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have to disagree. Every single truck i traded in that was LESS than a year old, i easily was offered within 1500.00 to 2,000 less than i settled on. I usually "steal my truck" from a dealer, i've always underpaid or walked away, so early trade in is never really an issue if i wanted the newer one bad enuf... This time around, bids were 6-8,000 under my target, so its more how poor resale is than the "normal hit you take"... it simply would have been positively bonkers to even entertain their offers.....

And i soooo get it on the RAMBOX... never ever enjoyed an option so much, surpasses the pano roof in terms of my most fav option everrrrrrrrrrrr : )

Depends upon the market but in general he's right. Between deprecation and resale on a 1-2 model year old vehicle, you'll normally take a hit

Users who are viewing this thread