5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Dealer discount was $6,382. Not sure where that falls in line with what others have been getting but I was good with that combined with the $8,250 in rebates.

looks like you carried some negative equity and some taxes so if your happy thats all that matters, here in texas i wouldnt take any dealer discount less than 10k,

what were your financing terms?

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
looks like you carried some negative equity and some taxes so if your happy thats all that matters, here in texas i wouldnt take any dealer discount less than 10k,

what were your financing terms?
I did have some negative equity in my '18 Denail I traded in. The $3,845 on line 16 is the check to settle up the difference so essentially it was like buying without a trade in other than the tax savings. Did 48 @ 1.9 through my bank.

10k discount would be awesome. This was the best I could find in a 500 mile radius including Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana.
The prices Don Davis is showing are pretty on par with the midwest.

Last edited:

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I did have some negative equity in my '18 Denail I traded in. The $3,845 on line 16 is the check to settle up the difference so essentially it was like buying without a trade in other than the tax savings. Did 48 @ 1.9 through my bank.

10k discount would be awesome. This was the best I could find in a 500 mile radius including Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana.
The prices Don Davis is showing are pretty on par with the midwest.

yeah don davis is one of the ones i stay away from, did you shop any other brands, if i can find a 19 ford with the 0 percent for 84 with the rebates I may go that route, glad to see 1.9 is still around, that is what i got a year and a half ago but was told car rates had went up, if i could find a 10k in dealer discount along with 8500 in rebates and 1.9 rate or less i would jump on it

anyone hear of any rebates with any of the big companies are next month, hard to think they will do anything but be better, my guess being same or more rebates included with the 0 intrest

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
yeah don davis is one of the ones i stay away from, did you shop any other brands, if i can find a 19 ford with the 0 percent for 84 with the rebates I may go that route, glad to see 1.9 is still around, that is what i got a year and a half ago but was told car rates had went up, if i could find a 10k in dealer discount along with 8500 in rebates and 1.9 rate or less i would jump on it

anyone hear of any rebates with any of the big companies are next month, hard to think they will do anything but be better, my guess being same or more rebates included with the 0 intrest
Yes, I did shop around a bit. I have a good relationship with my local GM dealer and have only had GM trucks (15 to be exact). After my 6th Denali and staying loyal just because I decided to look around because of the issues that plagued the 14-18 GMs (my '16 was bought back because of 8sp issues and replaced with a '17) and with how far behind the new GMs are comparatively. Worked a deal on a '20 Denali that had a 2K higher MSRP and was going to be about 5.5K higher out the door on a truck that wasn't as nice as the Ram. I only briefly looked at Ford online and built what was a 6k higher MSRP truck than the Ram. That turned me off enough that I didn't speak with a dealer.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
in terms of negative equity, I kind of look at it like this:

1) if you hate the vehicle you have, unload that sucker. Life is short. 5k loss on a vehicle, he’ll even 10k loss on a vehicle is a joke in the long run.

2) as long as you are financing MSRP or less on the vehicle you are buying it’s probably not that bad.

3) if you are 10-20% over MSRP even after huge rebates/discounts, maybe pump the brakes. Or find one of these long term 0% loans and prepare to ride it out for at least 4 years to get yourself out of the hole.

4) i find it to be a bad decision putting money down on a vehicle. Reason being, if you toss 10k down on a 50k truck. It gets totaled in the first two years.... more than likely you are about to lose some money. Interest rates are so low (even 0%) just buy a 400 dollar gap policy and let it ride. Take that money and do something else. If your vehicle is Totaled, you win. You can easily invest that 10k dollars and make more than you would be saving on the auto loan.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You are correct. I bought last Wednesday and I could pick between dealer sale and 0% for 84 or dealer sale + rebates. I qualified for $7,500 in rebates. To compare apples to apples a 84 mo loan at 3.89 was going to be about $7,500 in interest making the total 84 mo cost almost exactly the same regardless of which incentive. In my case I took the rebates because I trade every 24-36 mo. In this instance I've only paid the first part of the interest vs the $7,500 higher purchase price, making for about $3k less payoff after 36 mo.
Your business why you choose to trade that often, however unless you get a sweet fleet type price, you eat a lot of depreciation. Just wondering.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Holy negative equity/underwater batman
I only took a quick look at the sales doc but it seemed like he was only owing $4K ish on the Denali. Some payoff of 42 and change and a trade allowance of 38... If he really hated the Denali then its cheap to get rid of it, plus the interest saved on the trade allowance. (I had to pay full bore as I didn’t have a trade.)

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
Your business why you choose to trade that often, however unless you get a sweet fleet type price, you eat a lot of depreciation. Just wondering.
Trading every 24 on average is just a vice of the wife and mine. We're fortunate enough to be in the position to be able to do so and that's what we enjoy. We're currently waiting on her JLUR that was ordered 2/6 to be build to trade her car in. I've probably ate enough depreciation over the years that I could have bought this Ram outright. I'm beyond ok with that.

Last edited:

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
I only took a quick look at the sales doc but it seemed like he was only owing $4K ish on the Denali. Some payoff of 42 and change and a trade allowance of 38... If he really hated the Denali then its cheap to get rid of it, plus the interest saved on the trade allowance. (I had to pay full bore as I didn’t have a trade.)
You are exactly correct, I owed $42,xxx and got $38,500 trade. I put "down" the difference so I didn't finance the negative equity and had $38.5k in tax savings. In settling up on the trade it was essentially a standalone purchase except for the tax reduction. I would gladly write that check again to be done with that transmission.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You are exactly correct, I owed $42,xxx and got $38,500 trade. I put "down" the difference so I didn't finance the negative equity and had $38.5k in tax savings. In settling up on the trade it was essentially a standalone purchase except for the tax reduction.
Works for me... and obviously you. Enjoy the Ltd, I know I do. Would have liked the 33 gallon tank but didn’t hardly see any without 3.92’s, and I wanted 3.21.
1st world decisions...

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
Works for me... and obviously you. Enjoy the Ltd, I know I do. Would have liked the 33 gallon tank but didn’t hardly see any without 3.92’s, and I wanted 3.21.
1st world decisions...
Lol, yes 1st world decisions. I knew I wanted the 3.21 also but was indifferent to the 33 gal and eTorque. This one was on the lot exactly how I would have built it otherwise so I have them. I only average about 7k miles a year and nothing really long haul so the 33 gal wasn't important to me. Guess time will tell on the eTorque, especially pulling the boat this summer.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as you guys but worse. I buy a new truck every 2-3 years.... but usually spend 5-10k on mods lol.

sometimes I’m able to sell them for a decent price, like I might come out better than if it was stock and I traded it in. But some I take it on the chin. Like this Rebel now, I thought it would be easy to sell my truck for ~45k but it’s been months. Shameful plug for anyone looking for a nice lifted rebel lol, I’ve got one.

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as you guys but worse. I buy a new truck every 2-3 years.... but usually spend 5-10k on mods lol.

sometimes I’m able to sell them for a decent price, like I might come out better than if it was stock and I traded it in. But some I take it on the chin. Like this Rebel now, I thought it would be easy to sell my truck for ~45k but it’s been months. Shameful plug for anyone looking for a nice lifted rebel lol, I’ve got one.
Lol, exactly. I'm not at 5-10k but put about 2k worth of accessories up for sale off my '18. They were accessories GM paid for because of all the transmission troubles I had so anything is free money to put towards this truck.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I got them down to $48,780 OTD w/ the 0% financing for 60 months, so roughly 22% off MSRP. Considering I’ll see the loan through, I’ll be saving thousands in interests.

Pick her up tomorrow View attachment 48039
Purchased mine in November 19, 62,440 sticker and I got them down to 48,500! Sounds about the same, I think I got a good deal and they gave me $500 more then my trade in was worth

Attachments

• E87E1FEC-7386-4349-8042-F12839D6D1E5.jpeg
    E87E1FEC-7386-4349-8042-F12839D6D1E5.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 46

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should feel shafted by whomever gave you that rate if your credit is good. You should also feel shafted by whomever told you 860 as the scores stop at 850.
That's my score from Citi.

Attachments

• 87016617-FBCE-4368-A37F-07440E03FB9F.jpeg
    87016617-FBCE-4368-A37F-07440E03FB9F.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 42

Jrsem0317

Reaction score
Correct....a quick search will show that is a Citi created arbitrary number over the standard 850 score and means nothing/is fluff. Regardless, obviously your credit is good.

antwon412

Reaction score
Well so far I’m at $57k OTD on a $62k msrp Rebel.
doesn’t seem that great to me. That’s only about 10,000 below MSRP before TTL.

it seems like about that much before incentives should be more realistic.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you really only need a 720 or better to land an auto loan at top rates, hundreds of banks that stop there.... an 800 doesn’t really mean anything either, you still need the income and credit history. I mean the score helps lol, but you can still land a decent loan with like a 650 if your credit history is strong. I’ve done it.... 648 score and financed my 2015 ram at 2.35% back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online