5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would just add that one thing to factor in, in regards to selling privately or trading is the sales tax credit you'd get for trading in. Carmax offers you 30k and the dealer offers you 29k, the dealer trade will be a better deal. I believe this is the situation in most states (Not sure how Canada works)

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Salesman never asked me about trade in till after we agreed on price for the truck, so that was not factored into the price negotiation at all. He also never asked how I would pay for it yet even after ordering, which I was happy about. When I got to pickup the truck, I plan on showing the dealer Kelley Blue Book value of the car with selected options, and ones I have added to the vehicle.

To answer glennfl4's question.

rvsixer

Reaction score
Salesman never asked me about trade in till after we agreed on price for the truck...
Kudos, this is the correct way to do a deal, And also prevents overinflated reports of off "MSRP" numbers, or the feeling you didn't get such a good deal after all later.

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kudos, this is the correct way to do a deal, And also prevents overinflated reports of off "MSRP" numbers, or the feeling you didn't get such a good deal after all .
Who overinflated reports off of MSRP?

glennf14

Reaction score
Salesman never asked me about trade in till after we agreed on price for the truck, so that was not factored into the price negotiation at all. He also never asked how I would pay for it yet even after ordering, which I was happy about. When I got to pickup the truck, I plan on showing the dealer Kelley Blue Book value of the car with selected options, and ones I have added to the vehicle.

To answer glennfl4's question.
Great advice for those who are trading. Thanks!

glennf14

Reaction score
Who overinflated reports off of MSRP?
No one is accusing anyone.

It’s just very hard to gauge the “true purchase price” or “true discount” of someone’s new truck when they have a trade-in. The value of the trade is a wild card variable that has many factors.

If the dealer low balls you on your trade but then makes you feel good by discounting more off MSRP then that’s not a true representation of the MSRP discount.

Just wanna make sure folks are mentioning whether or not a trade-in was part of their negotiations.

I will not have a trade-in so I’m much more interested in folks purchase price without a trade involved. I private sold my little 2006 Mustang V6 with 107k miles. Driving my beater/trusty 2004 Grand Cherokee, in-line 6, 208k miles, in the meantime.

Last edited:

cjbrown24

Reaction score
Wow! Nice deal! Any tips? Were you eligible for any special pricing? (Affiliate, Friends & Family, etc)
No special pricing. Just emailed Dennis Dillon in Idaho and they sent the offer pretty quick. Anywhere local wouldn't come within $6k of the deal. To me it's worth the flight and road trip back. They were great to work with and extremely helpful in pricing out different builds for me until I ultimately got what I wanted. Said they would have someone pick us up at the airport and everything.

rvsixer

Reaction score
No one is accusing anyone.

It’s just very hard to gauge the “true purchase price” or “true discount” of someone’s new truck when they have a trade-in. The value of the trade is a wild card variable that has many factors.
Thanks for reading and understanding my post before commenting .

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for reading and understanding my post before commenting .
Prior to your membership with this forum it has previously discussed that members would take into consideration their trade in value and or express if they had a trade in. From my experience with this forum and particularly this thread it is safe to say 8-10k off MSRP to purchase a 2019 Ram is safe to strive for.

glennf14

Reaction score
No special pricing. Just emailed Dennis Dillon in Idaho and they sent the offer pretty quick. Anywhere local wouldn't come within $6k of the deal. To me it's worth the flight and road trip back. They were great to work with and extremely helpful in pricing out different builds for me until I ultimately got what I wanted. Said they would have someone pick us up at the airport and everything.
Just checked their website. Wow those prices look good. I like their no haggle approach, too. Wouldn’t mind taking my business to them except I’m all the way in NC :-/

If I showed those prices to my local dealers they’d probably laugh at me ;-)

rvsixer

Reaction score
Prior to your membership with this forum it has previously discussed that members would take into consideration their trade in value and or express if they had a trade in.
Very first post in this thread specifically asks trade in value NOT be considered:
"Please do not include trade in values..."

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Im pretty shocked to see such big discounts so early, but I am also shocked by the fact that I have still not seen a single 2019 on the road yet.

I wonder if sales are lagging, which in turn means inventory is piling up and that is what is motivating some of these huge discounts on brand new models?

I really wanted to hold off until the end of the year before considering a 2019, but the Chrysler Capital lease rates this month are actually pretty good (best yet for 2019's) add in a $10k discount and its getting harder for me to say no....

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im pretty shocked to see such big discounts so early, but I am also shocked by the fact that I have still not seen a single 2019 on the road yet.

I wonder if sales are lagging, which in turn means inventory is piling up and that is what is motivating some of these huge discounts on brand new models?

I really wanted to hold off until the end of the year before considering a 2019, but the Chrysler Capital lease rates this month are actually pretty good (best yet for 2019's) add in a $10k discount and its getting harder for me to say no....
maybe people are buying the 18's because of those amazing deals

glennf14

Reaction score
Just checked their website. Wow those prices look good. I like their no haggle approach, too. Wouldn’t mind taking my business to them except I’m all the way in NC :-/

If I showed those prices to my local dealers they’d probably laugh at me ;-)
Forgot to ask: is anyone familiar with a big volume dealer here in the southeast that would be somewhat comparable to Dennis Dillon? Just curious, thanks!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes your correct and otherwise notate such if you have a trade.

It would be impossible to know the true price paid without knowing if a trade was over or under valued. The KBB price is a good standard for that. I got 2k more for my trade so essentially the dealer gave up 2k additional in the overall deal.

If this isn't factored then only non-tradein negotiated prices would be relevant.

I listed my negotied price then noted whether I was up or down on my trade. I hope that's ok.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
In Virginia I saw 1 2019 Limited and a 3500 on the road, and that's all for new Rams so far. Just drove from VA to NY and saw no new ones. Only ever seen 2 Rebels in Va.

alow

Reaction score
I've seen two here. Hoping to make it 3 as soon as my dealer calls.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was at the dealership today (not the one I ordered from), they were saying that they're expecting the same thing...good incentives, especially on the higher-trim models. Fingers crossed.

Hmmm, did they add any expected dates for those good incentives? I'm fortunately waiting until I see the eTorque Rambox unicorn in person anyway, but when that finally comes I definitely don't want to miss some kind of crazy good incentives.

alow

Reaction score
It appears to be a rotating thing. Sometimes offered sometimes not. Also wait until your truck is on rail and then request a brochure. There are random $500 off incentives in those but not in every one. If you don't get it the first go around then order a brochure again but wait until it ships as it expires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online