5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred engine choice: 6.4 SRT or 3.0 turbo or...

Preferred engine:

• 5.7 hemi (395 hp)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 6.4 hemi (470 hp)

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 3.0 hurricane turbo (400 hp)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 3.0 hurricane HO turbo (500 hp)

• 3.0 ecodiesel (260 hp)

• a hybrid of some sort

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nothing has been announced yet. It's all speculation at this point. Stellantis has recently said the EV Ram will not replace ICE power plants. I expect the the Hemi will still be around for several more years.

That's what the CEO said, the 3.0L is not replacing the Hemi in the 1500.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing has been announced yet. It's all speculation at this point. Stellantis has recently said the EV Ram will not replace ICE power plants. I expect the the Hemi will still be around for several more years.
I would be surprised if we have the 5.7 hemi in 2025. Based off what we are told in training and by tech advisors/field engineers.

silver billet

Reaction score
6.4 Hemi with 470 hp in a half ton……for $2000….take my money.

Mine too. But I'm not hopeful, even if it made to the half ton they'd probably require a pricey trim first. In Canada we couldn't get the ED unless we bought the more upscale trim, so if you're a base truck kind of guy like me you first need to pay the fee to upgrade to a higher trim, then you need to pay for the engine. GM does the same thing with their premium engines.

Thankfully the 5.7 is available everywhere.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would be surprised if we have the 5.7 hemi in 2025. Based off what we are told in training and by tech advisors/field engineers.
That would be "several" more years

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Mid-Cycle refresh is coming in for 2024 model year, which I suspect we will see the 3.0L introduced.

So in less than 1 year, probably the middle or 3rd quarter of this year, we will know what powertrain they will be using for the 24' refresh. I still hedging my bets the Hemi will be sold alongside the 3.0L to go with the revised front & rear facias, probably different wheels and revised interior.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ill wait till 2025 at this point lol and see what happens lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dewey

Reaction score
I’m won’t be in the market for another truck till 2026 or later so I’ll wait and see how it all shakes out.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm impressed with how well the 5.7 is doing here, currently at second choice!

Since GM has recently announced an almost billion dollar investment into 6th generation v8's for use in trucks/suv's, and Toyota making noise about how EVs are not all that great, it gives me hope that we might get v8's in a Ram for a while yet too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL EPA ratings.
Are you serious? I don't get anywhere close the EPA ratings on my truck that's nonsense on a Ram
Yeah, I've actually gotten better than EPA ratings in my truck on long highway drives. Of course that was before lift and tired. Must be those damn 3.92 gears

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've actually gotten better than EPA ratings in my truck on long highway drives. Of course that was before lift and tired. Must be those damn 3.92 gears
I have a 2022 Limited. OEM tires and wheels and yes 3.92 gears built from the factory

Right above where it claims I get 22mph highway and 18 city it says "this vehicle was built especially for (my name)"
Funny how I never get anywhere close to 22mpg highway or 18 city.

I get 17 highways tops no matter the speed and I know city mpg doesn't matter because cities have hills, traffic, and stoplights.
I have never seen 20 mpg, let alone 22.

Point being is everyone knows EPA ratings are BS for Ram so why would we start believing them now.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Limited. OEM tires and wheels and yes 3.92 gears built from the factory

Right above where it claims I get 22mph highway and 18 city it says "this vehicle was built especially for (my name)"

I get 17 highways tops no matter the speed and I know city mpg doesn't matter because cities have hills, traffic, and stoplights.

Point being is everyone knows EPA ratings are BS for Ram so why would we start believing them now.
I get those #'s driving no issue.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The purpose of the 3.0L isn't to get better mpg, which is barely does without a load. It's purpose is for lower CO2, which is substantially lower than the 5.7L, and future hybridation that the Hemi cannot do.

The standard output version of the 3.0L makes more power than the 5.7L while getting similar mpg and much lower CO2. Add the future prospect of a hybrid system, which it was design to handle. Eventually, they will phase out the 5.7L, but probably not right away.

silver billet

Reaction score
The purpose of the 3.0L isn't to get better mpg, which is barely does without a load. It's purpose is for lower CO2, which is substantially lower than the 5.7L, and future hybridation that the Hemi cannot do.

The standard output version of the 3.0L makes more power than the 5.7L while getting similar mpg and much lower CO2. Add the future prospect of a hybrid system, which it was design to handle. Eventually, they will phase out the 5.7L, but probably not right away.

Yeah the hemi is a dirty engine no doubt. But it was also designed in early 2000's, with GM just dropping almost a billion on future v8 development for trucks we can hope FCA hasn't given up either.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah the hemi is a dirty engine no doubt. But it was also designed in early 2000's, with GM just dropping almost a billion on future v8 development for trucks we can hope FCA hasn't given up either.

I would hope so, especially with "the Hemi" being so heavily attached to the RAM brand. But RAM has new owners and I think they aren't as romantic as that. When you consider that the money cows of the Charger and Challenger are going EV in 2024, that shows you there are no sacred cows with Stellantis.

It will likely come down to sales, if they see a big enough drop due to customer demand, but I don't think that will happen even with the Hemi eventually being phased out. Some of us will just be happy to have a internal combustion engine in the near future. I especially like the prospect of a hybrid full size truck over an EV.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Are you driving 60mph when calculating your highway MPG? If not, then you will never get the EPA rated mileage. I averaged 19.5 MPG on a trip to Oklahoma City two years ago and that was driving 70-75mph most of the way. That was hand calculated, not using EVIC read out. If I drop to 60mph my EVIC reads over 20mpg, even with the lift and tires. And now even with my new front bumper, my first tank of mixed driving I averaged 14.5mpg

Users who are viewing this thread