5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred engine choice: 6.4 SRT or 3.0 turbo or...

Preferred engine:

• 5.7 hemi (395 hp)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 6.4 hemi (470 hp)

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 3.0 hurricane turbo (400 hp)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 3.0 hurricane HO turbo (500 hp)

• 3.0 ecodiesel (260 hp)

• a hybrid of some sort

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Limited. OEM tires and wheels and yes 3.92 gears built from the factory

Right above where it claims I get 22mph highway and 18 city it says "this vehicle was built especially for (my name)"
Funny how I never get anywhere close to 22mpg highway or 18 city.

I get 17 highways tops no matter the speed and I know city mpg doesn't matter because cities have hills, traffic, and stoplights.
I have never seen 20 mpg, let alone 22.

Point being is everyone knows EPA ratings are BS for Ram so why would we start believing them now.

I get that mileage regularly

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you driving 60mph when calculating your highway MPG? If not, then you will never get the EPA rated mileage. I averaged 19.5 MPG on a trip to Oklahoma City two years ago and that was driving 70-75mph most of the way. That was hand calculated, not using EVIC read out. If I drop to 60mph my EVIC reads over 20mpg, even with the lift and tires. And now even with my new front bumper, my first tank of mixed driving I averaged 14.5mpg
I've tried going 64mph which seems to be the fastest I can go before I just start gaining RPMs because of 392s I assume.
Anything at or above 69mph i'm already stuck in 8th.

My Evic is very accurate the few times I tested it. I think it was under .5mpg more then my actual mpg over a few 450 mile trips

I can't hit 20mpg in my evic unless I am going download with my foot off the gas...

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was mentioned that the hemi can't be electrified. I would disagree. The etorque is worthless obviously on the front of the motor, but a sandwiched electric motor between the hemi and trans would be a great idea, same as chevys. A turbo v6 or even a turbo 4 would be fine for normal driving and with the added batteries would be powerful off the line. I don't think a turbo 4 is appropriate for towing tho, as the batteries would be depleted very soon helping out, altho chevys turbo 4 by itself has some tow rating I assume. Turbo for the efficiency win, but 6 cylinders long already really complicates any other short nose mid size vehicle, especially with a sandwiched electric motor addition. Sad, I was hoping for a rear drive charger to continue also.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The 6.4L was one of my favorite engines from all the vehicles I’ve ever owned. If Ram had introduced it into the 1500 I would have gladly paid up for it. Hell I would have even bought it if they pasted this useless ET system on it.

silver billet

Reaction score
The 6.4L was one of my favorite engines from all the vehicles I’ve ever owned. If Ram had introduced it into the 1500 I would have gladly paid up for it. Hell I would have even bought it if they pasted this useless ET system on it.

It boggles the mind, doesn't it? They stuff that engine in almost everything from challenger to jeep gc/gw to durango. Even the wrangler has it which is completely bonkers. It's kinda insulting that they withhold it from us truck guys who could really use it.

The 5.7 is working ok, but sometimes you just want more.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It boggles the mind, doesn't it? They stuff that engine in almost everything from challenger to jeep gc/gw to durango. Even the wrangler has it which is completely bonkers. It's kinda insulting that they withhold it from us truck guys who could really use it.

The 5.7 is working ok, but sometimes you just want more.
I've been dreaming ahead of trading in the wife's cherokee next spring for something a tad bigger, and the Durango's have caught my eye. Obviously the v6 would do just fine for hauling kids to hockey games, but the hot rodder in me can't overlook the 6.4. But man, they're not giving those away though ha. So I told her maybe we should just get one with the 5.7. And then ya know, throw a blower at it, mild exhaust, nice wheels and tires, a one inch drop, etc. etc.

I honestly blame this forum, you're all terrible influences.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6 cylinders long already really complicates any other short nose mid size vehicle
I can only think of 1 vehicle this may be an issue in, the Pacifica. That will most likely get a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl or a variant.
Sad, I was hoping for a rear drive charger to continue also.
It will, there will be an ICE option and electric option.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was mentioned that the hemi can't be electrified. I would disagree. The etorque is worthless obviously on the front of the motor, but a sandwiched electric motor between the hemi and trans would be a great idea, same as chevys. A turbo v6 or even a turbo 4 would be fine for normal driving and with the added batteries would be powerful off the line. I don't think a turbo 4 is appropriate for towing tho, as the batteries would be depleted very soon helping out, altho chevys turbo 4 by itself has some tow rating I assume. Turbo for the efficiency win, but 6 cylinders long already really complicates any other short nose mid size vehicle, especially with a sandwiched electric motor addition. Sad, I was hoping for a rear drive charger to continue also.
I don't know why everyone thinks the Charger and Challengers will be only electric. At no point did Dodge ever say they were going all electric on those cars. The "last ride" promotion is just that, a promotion to sell more cars and charge more for them. They will be refreshed with new body style and still carry an ICE as well as electric option

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There has never been any mention of a turbo 4 cylinder in the Rams.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The purpose of the 3.0L isn't to get better mpg, which is barely does without a load. It's purpose is for lower CO2, which is substantially lower than the 5.7L, and future hybridation that the Hemi cannot do.

They could have improved CO2 by adding Direct Injection, like everyone else has. It was my great hope that a refresh of the Hemi would simply be this - and maybe an aluminum block perhaps.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone thinks the Charger and Challengers will be only electric. At no point did Dodge ever say they were going all electric on those cars. The "last ride" promotion is just that, a promotion to sell more cars and charge more for them. They will be refreshed with new body style and still carry an ICE as well as electric option
Oh, that's right, I forgot about the electric Challenger until I read your post! I hope it isn't the last ride. I would love a hybrid Charger.
There has never been any mention of a turbo 4 cylinder in the Rams.
You're right, I didn't mention the current or foreseen Rams. You can tell from my wishlist tyype of post that I'd entertain such a hybrid tho.

silver billet

Reaction score
I've been dreaming ahead of trading in the wife's cherokee next spring for something a tad bigger, and the Durango's have caught my eye. Obviously the v6 would do just fine for hauling kids to hockey games, but the hot rodder in me can't overlook the 6.4. But man, they're not giving those away though ha. So I told her maybe we should just get one with the 5.7. And then ya know, throw a blower at it, mild exhaust, nice wheels and tires, a one inch drop, etc. etc.

I honestly blame this forum, you're all terrible influences.

Yeah it all depends on the price. I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't care what trim you're in, you can get a 10 speed and their premium engine, they do this best of all the brands. GM requires an upper trim. Ram Canada required an upper trim to get the ED.

I'm not into upper trims or fancy wheels and suspension tricks. Just give me the option to buy the 6.4 in a big horn for a modest fee.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can only think of 1 vehicle this may be an issue in, the Pacifica. That will most likely get a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl or a variant.

It will, there will be an ICE option and electric option.
Hadn't thought of the Pacifica; not sure the straight 6 was destined for that vehicle. I guess the point is - how tight is the charger or wrangler packed front to rear with a 4 cylinder long engine, whether a v8 or straight 4, and now they might try 6 cylinders long? On another thread, I wondered about foot box area if the flywheel and possible electric motor have to be moved back creating a larger trans tunnel in the cabin.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of the Pacifica; not sure the straight 6 was destined for that vehicle. I guess the point is - how tight is the charger or wrangler packed front to rear with a 4 cylinder long engine, whether a v8 or straight 4, and now they might try 6 cylinders long? On another thread, I wondered about foot box area if the flywheel and possible electric motor have to be moved back creating a larger trans tunnel in the cabin.
3.0 I6 isn't a big engine its about 3" longer than the 5.7.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They could have improved CO2 by adding Direct Injection, like everyone else has. It was my great hope that a refresh of the Hemi would simply be this - and maybe an aluminum block perhaps.

That would have been cool, but I think they also factored the ability to work with future hybrid systems, which the Hemi isn't designed for, at least beyond a mild-hybrid system.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I hope you are right man, that would be cool. I think the confusion is that almost all major publications have that literally 2024 it's only going to be EV Chargers & Challengers, based on Stellantis quotes.

Then, there was a article published by Drive that stated that "maybe" not the case, that a hybrid system may also join them based on a former worker. However, that isn't confirmed either, but Mopar Insider thinks both SO & HO will be offered.

Again, very cool and makes sense. But nothing directly from Stellantis yet.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah it all depends on the price. I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't care what trim you're in, you can get a 10 speed and their premium engine, they do this best of all the brands. GM requires an upper trim. Ram Canada required an upper trim to get the ED.

I'm not into upper trims or fancy wheels and suspension tricks. Just give me the option to buy the 6.4 in a big horn for a modest fee.
Same here. I've always been a middle trim kind of guy and then modifying things to what I like. I'm just trying to convince the wife that she needs a vehicle that I like :LOL: . I sent her this earlier, I at least got a chuckle out of her so I'm taking that as progress.

1675441699968.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe because every news article says so.

Dodge has communicated very clearly that the “Challenger and Charger, in the current platform and powertrain as we know it, will be built through 2023. In 2024 we’re moving on, and the new Dodge cars will be fully electric,” springing from Stellantis’ global STLA Large platform.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe because every news article says so.

Dodge has communicated very clearly that the “Challenger and Charger, in the current platform and powertrain as we know it, will be built through 2023. In 2024 we’re moving on, and the new Dodge cars will be fully electric,” springing from Stellantis’ global STLA Large platform.

These are articles written by people interpreting what Dodge has put out. But there has been zero confirmation from Dodge that they are going fully electric. When they say "current platform" that just means the models are being redesigned.

Users who are viewing this thread