5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred engine choice: 6.4 SRT or 3.0 turbo or...

Preferred engine:

• 5.7 hemi (395 hp)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 6.4 hemi (470 hp)

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 3.0 hurricane turbo (400 hp)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 3.0 hurricane HO turbo (500 hp)

• 3.0 ecodiesel (260 hp)

• a hybrid of some sort

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it all depends on the price. I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't care what trim you're in, you can get a 10 speed and their premium engine, they do this best of all the brands. GM requires an upper trim. Ram Canada required an upper trim to get the ED.

I'm not into upper trims or fancy wheels and suspension tricks. Just give me the option to buy the 6.4 in a big horn for a modest fee.

FWIW, you can't get a Hemi in an HD anymore at Laramie or higher trims. It started first with Limited and Longhorn and recently trickled down into Laramie.

If you want one you now have to option up a Bighorn and of course, there's some options you just can't get in a Bighorn.

ETA: Looks like they *may* have brought the hemi back on the 2500/3500 Limited and 3500 Laramie (still no Longhorn option). Unless Ram's Build and Price is broken again.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, you can't get a Hemi in an HD anymore at Laramie or higher trims. It started first with Limited and Longhorn and recently trickled down into Laramie.

If you want one you now have to option up a Bighorn and of course, there's some options you just can't get in a Bighorn.
That’s kind of mind blowing.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6.4L was one of my favorite engines from all the vehicles I’ve ever owned. If Ram had introduced it into the 1500 I would have gladly paid up for it. Hell I would have even bought it if they pasted this useless ET system on it.
I definitely would have paid more to have a N/A 6.4 in my truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Before the release of the Hurricane engines, I most definitely would have loved a 392 in my truck. And would have paid extra for it. But with the power output of the Hurricane engines, I will take the HO Hurricane.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before the release of the Hurricane engines, I most definitely would have loved a 392 in my truck. And would have paid extra for it. But with the power output of the Hurricane engines, I will take the HO Hurricane.
Do you know if anyone reputable has ever done a report comparing the longevity of N/A vs turbo- vs super-charged engines?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you know if anyone reputable has ever done a report comparing the longevity of N/A vs turbo- vs super-charged engines?

Just look for how many forced air gas engines you find in the 2500's or F250's (none) vs the massive small and big block N/A's you find (all of them).

Turbos are used to eek out tiny incremental improvements for MPG and emissions.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hurricanes are too new for any decent longerivity reports. As far as just general engine life, it's all in how you drive. A turbo motor will generally have longer engine life than a super charger. Most people forget it takes horsepower to spin a super charger. So even normal driving there is always a load on the engine. Turbos are generally easier on engine because of how they operate. Unless you are brake stalling to build boost, they come on smoother. And "normal" driving there isn't as much stress on the engine or accessories to spin them.

Basically, as long as your aren't beating on them all the time, even boosted engines will last if properly maintained.

I had a 92 Dodge Daytona with the 2.5l Turbo engine and manual transmission. When I bought it, it has over 100k miles on it. Didn't burn a drop of oil. Needed a little TLC to vacuum lines and turbo. Precious onwer had upgraded the turbo to the Garret turbo off the T2 cars, and I added the factory intercooler to it from the T2 cars. I would average 25-30mog with it when driving normal. And it was still fun as hall and would out you back in your seat when you hammered on it. Unfortunately, it met an early demise after I finally got it running good when a tree limb fell on it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675534411827.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675534411827.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 13

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just look for how many forced air gas engines you find in the 2500's or F250's (none) vs the massive small and big block N/A's you find (all of them).

Turbos are used to eek out tiny incremental improvements for MPG and emissions.
And look how many N/A diesel engines there are.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Hurricanes are too new for any decent longerivity reports. As far as just general engine life, it's all in how you drive. A turbo motor will generally have longer engine life than a super charger. Most people forget it takes horsepower to spin a super charger. So even normal driving there is always a load on the engine. Turbos are generally easier on engine because of how they operate. Unless you are brake stalling to build boost, they come on smoother. And "normal" driving there isn't as much stress on the engine or accessories to spin them.

Basically, as long as your aren't beating on them all the time, even boosted engines will last if properly maintained.

I had a 92 Dodge Daytona with the 2.5l Turbo engine and manual transmission. When I bought it, it has over 100k miles on it. Didn't burn a drop of oil. Needed a little TLC to vacuum lines and turbo. Precious onwer had upgraded the turbo to the Garret turbo off the T2 cars, and I added the factory intercooler to it from the T2 cars. I would average 25-30mog with it when driving normal. And it was still fun as hall and would out you back in your seat when you hammered on it. Unfortunately, it met an early demise after I finally got it running good when a tree limb fell on it.
Thanks. I've always wondered.

silver billet

Reaction score
And look how many N/A diesel engines there are.

Diesels are built many times strong than gassers due to the nature of diesels high pressure and compression. Putting a turbo on them doesn't matter there.

These small displacement turbos are meant for hauling family, not heavy loads.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Diesels are built many times strong than gassers due to the nature of diesels high pressure and compression. Putting a turbo on them doesn't matter there.

No argument there's which is why I find it funny every time someone brings up HD trucks and the engines they use

silver billet

Reaction score
No argument there's which is why I find it funny every time someone brings up HD trucks and the engines they use

That's because you're not thinking it through. Heavy duty diesel engines (like the cummins) are pushing around busses and trucks that tow 30+k pounds. Big N/A gassers are next. They're generally more simple and are less stressed than force air gassers.

If you think a 3.0 putting out more power than a 6.4 which is more than double the displacement, isn't going to be more stressed and prone to reliablity issues, well you're welcome to your opinion.

Obviously Ford feels different, possibly with all their experience designing both N/A and turbos they know what they're doing and what works best for "trucks that work hard" but that's just a guess.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's because you're not thinking it through. Heavy duty diesel engines (like the cummins) are pushing around busses and trucks that tow 30+k pounds. Big N/A gassers are next. They're generally more simple and are less stressed than force air gassers.

If you think a 3.0 putting out more power than a 6.4 which is more than double the displacement, isn't going to be more stressed and prone to reliablity issues, well you're welcome to your opinion.

Obviously Ford feels different, possibly with all their experience designing both N/A and turbos they know what they're doing and what works best for "trucks that work hard" but that's just a guess.
Dodge has good history of turbo engines as well. It's not like this is their first attempt. But they aren't marketing, or selling these engines as heavy duty towing engines. The HD trucks arent getting them. At least not any time soon. Yetz multiple people, you included, keep bringing up the gas engines in the HD trucks as examples why they won't work.

I mean for that matter, the 5.0 used in the F-150 was designed for the Mustang, not as a towing engine for trucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
Yetz multiple people, you included, keep bringing up the gas engines in the HD trucks as examples why they won't work.
Yes, because that's literally all the information you need to know. Ford's 3.5 ecoboost puts out almost as much power as the 7.3. They had it on the shelf, bought and paid for, in terms of power output they could have easily used it in the super duty. But no, they spent probably half a billion developing the 7.3 and now the 6.8. How much more evidence do you need?

I mean for that matter, the 5.0 used in the F-150 was designed for the Mustang, not as a towing engine for trucks.

Ram had the confidence to put the 5.7 hemi in the 2500's as the base engine for years. The 6.4 SRT is already in the 2500. Yes it's detuned a lot and they use sodium filled exhaust valves and oil piston squirters, but it's basically the same engine with some additional tweaks to focus more on reliability and less on raw power output and voila, it's now the 6.4 BGE instead of the 6.4 SRT. In the 1500, we'd want it the other way around simply because the half ton will never work hard enough to stress the SRT.

The 5.0 works extremely well in the half ton. Ask any Ford mechanic what engine they would pick to own and the majority will take the 5.0 over the ecoboost.

I'm not saying you won't enjoy the 3.0, or that you'll regret the purchase. I'm saying I personally will always take a big N/A in my half ton over a tiny turbo, because the N/A engine works less hard and more reliably. And of course it sounds amazing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, because that's literally all the information you need to know. Ford's 3.5 ecoboost puts out almost as much power as the 7.3. They had it on the shelf, bought and paid for, in terms of power output they could have easily used it in the super duty. But no, they spent probably half a billion developing the 7.3 and now the 6.8. How much more evidence do you need?

Ram had the confidence to put the 5.7 hemi in the 2500's as the base engine for years. The 6.4 SRT is already in the 2500. Yes it's detuned a lot and they use sodium filled exhaust valves and oil piston squirters, but it's basically the same engine with some additional tweaks to focus more on reliability and less on raw power output and voila, it's now the 6.4 BGE instead of the 6.4 SRT. In the 1500, we'd want it the other way around simply because the half ton will never work hard enough to stress the SRT.

The 5.0 works extremely well in the half ton. Ask any Ford mechanic what engine they would pick to own and the majority will take the 5.0 over the ecoboost.

I'm not saying you won't enjoy the 3.0, or that you'll regret the purchase. I'm saying I personally will always take a big N/A in my half ton over a tiny turbo, because the N/A engine works less hard and more reliably. And of course it sounds amazing.
Once again, comparing HD engines to half ton options is an apples and oranges comparison.

And again, it's not a "SRT" 6.4.

silver billet

Reaction score
Once again, comparing HD engines to half ton options is an apples and oranges comparison.
No it's not. I literally told you last post the 5.7 hemi (for example) is used in both, and the 6.4 is already there in one form.

Are you not capable of understanding projection? What works longer/more reliably in a 2500 naturally means it works longer/more reliably in a half ton.

And again, it's not a "SRT" 6.4.

Only in your "mind".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No it's not. I literally told you last post the 5.7 hemi (for example) is used in both, and the 6.4 is already there in one form.

Are you not capable of understanding projection? What works longer/more reliably in a 2500 naturally means it works longer/more reliably in a half ton.

Only in your "mind".
Whatever you say.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

But this same logic applies to every clean sheet turbo gas engine produced in the modern era.

The Hurricane, like the 2.7 Ecoboost, 2017+ 3.5 Ecoboost, and 2.7 I4 GM - just to name the relevant half ton options - were also all designed from inception to operate under constant boost. There are no naturally aspirated equivalents of those engines. They are not fragile.

They are built with exactly this use case and load in mind.

This is not the same as bolting an eBay turbo to your buddies sweet 97 civic.

And this coming from someone lamenting the demise of the v8, who would prefer the Hemi live on forever, especially as a 6.4 in the Ram! Got me defending the new turbo options simply because this kind of thinking is archaic and no longer applicable.

Users who are viewing this thread