5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred engine choice: 6.4 SRT or 3.0 turbo or...

Preferred engine:

• 5.7 hemi (395 hp)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 6.4 hemi (470 hp)

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 3.0 hurricane turbo (400 hp)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 3.0 hurricane HO turbo (500 hp)

• 3.0 ecodiesel (260 hp)

• a hybrid of some sort

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm curious. Two of these options aren't coming anymore or ever will, but theoretically if you could purchase anyone of these engines tomorrow with at most a $2000 surcharge over the 5.7, which would you pick?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My heart says 6.4L Hemi, mainly for the sound and character. Of course my mind says 3.0L Hurricane, preferably with a plug-in hybrid feature in the future, probably dreaming.

Too bad they can't electrify the current Hemi, because that would be awesome. Run on electricity around town, but have that V8 when you need it. Going PHEV for full size trucks is probably the best compromise in regards to efficiency, range and towing capacity.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
My heart says 6.4L Hemi, mainly for the sound and character. Of course my mind says 3.9L Hurricane, preferably with a plug-in hybrid feature in the future, probably dreaming.

Too bad they can't electrify the current Hemi, because that would be awesome. Run on electricity around town, but have that V8 when you need it. Going PHEV for full size trucks is probably the best compromise in regards to efficiency, range and towing capacity.

Great idea, added hybrid there for you.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody know how long the crate engines will be available? Has Stellantis announced anything?

silver billet

Reaction score
Anybody know how long the crate engines will be available? Has Stellantis announced anything?

I feel they just raised the price recently? Could be wrong.

Edit: $9600 plus the harness/kit at $1800 plus installation. Ouch They were on sale a while back, maybe that's what I'm confused with. I did look into this back then and thought it was cheaper than a supercharger from whipple/procharger, though those options would probably produce more power less reliably.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I'll take the HP and performance of the HO Hurricane. I like driving fast, take my truck to the drag strip, and love the sound of turbos. Have owned two early 90s turbo Dodges and currently have a turbo inline 5 in my daughter's Volvo S60 school car.

Of course a twin turbo kit for my 5.7l Hemi would be fun as well

silver billet

Reaction score
Personally, I'll take the HP and performance of the HO Hurricane. I like driving fast, take my truck to the drag strip, and love the sound of turbos. Have owned two early 90s turbo Dodges and currently have a turbo inline 5 in my daughter's Volvo S60 school car.

Of course a twin turbo kit for my 5.7l Hemi would be fun as well

I do like the sound/whine of a supercharged v8. Haven't heard a turbo v8 recently I imagine that sounds good too.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
In a gas setup, something in that high 300-400 hp range. If I need more power then that for hauling, then I want more suspension and truck as well such as a 2/3500. I fi d the hemi 5.7 to be plentiful in power for anything I've ever asked of it.
I have driven and towed with my buddy's ecodiesel 3.0 and absolutely love that thing, but don't know how interested I am in 1 from the cost, and seeing how much work our Mercedes Sprinter diesel at work has needed.

I. A fan of the v6 twin turbo setups in the f150, and new tundra and really like the hybrid versions as well.

Basically 400hp, and whatever to increase the mpg's and I'm good.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had the 5.7 and 3.0 ecodiesel, and I had to vote 5.7 and 3.0 HO Hurricane (they’re tied in my mind right now). I think the hurricane HO has a high potential to be a good engine.

BowDown

Reaction score
Problem with the hurricanes is going to be low speed power and how much more fuel it'll consume over the 5.7 & 6.4 producing low speed power. While on paper the hurricanes sound good, in a heavy truck, they'll be working hard, think TFL trucks HEMI vs ecoboost towing

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Problem with the hurricanes is going to be low speed power and how much more fuel it'll consume over the 5.7 & 6.4 producing low speed power. While on paper the hurricanes sound good, in a heavy truck, they'll be working hard, think TFL trucks HEMI vs ecoboost towing
Just drove a Grand Wagoneer for the weekend, the 3.0 HO is legit. Not sure when towing but it's as advertised just driving around town. I'm not sure if will burn any more or any less fuel while towing, the 5.7 chugs the fuel while towing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
EPA ratings have it getting better fuel economy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
do we know if ram will have the regular 3.0 or the HO
Nothing has been announced yet. It's all speculation at this point. Stellantis has recently said the EV Ram will not replace ICE power plants. I expect the the Hemi will still be around for several more years.

Users who are viewing this thread