5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerstep Installation

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is what it says in the instructions, I took that as the “override” only last 30 mins. But they won’t retract (or deploy) after 30 mins, only on the next door cycle after 30 mins.

I guess we need some clarification on this

Attachments

• 38CD963A-63F0-4D1F-BCFA-B76BEA1BEB08.png
    38CD963A-63F0-4D1F-BCFA-B76BEA1BEB08.png
    353.8 KB · Views: 51

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like it...Please let me know if you figure it out as my truck hasn't delivered yet.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I thought about that too, but I want the switch that says amp on it or I will be unhappy.

I really only wanted it to try and prevent door dings. Figured I could set them down manually while I’m in a store or soemthing. I used to do that manually on both sides and it was a pain.

As for staying down, they will stay down longer than 30 mins, they will just reset on the next door cycle. That’s my understand anyways. So if you set them down and go away for 6 hours they should still be down. They will just go back to auto mode when you cycle the door. At least that’s how I understood it.

I want this feature to be able to lock the step either up or down. Like you the down position would be handy for tight parking spots. You could go to each side and step on the boards after closing the doors but this is enough of an inconvenience I can see not doing it all the time. When I am servicing the RAM or detailing I would prefer keeping the boards retracted when I am continually opening the driver door while working on the truck. I can live without the AMP labeled switch. I will likely fab a bracket for the switch rather than drilling a hole into the dash plastic. ID of the switch won't be a problem for me.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want this feature to be able to lock the step either up or down. Like you the down position would be handy for tight parking spots. You could go to each side and step on the boards after closing the doors but this is enough of an inconvenience I can see not doing it all the time. When I am servicing the RAM or detailing I would prefer keeping the boards retracted when I am continually opening the driver door while working on the truck. I can live without the AMP labeled switch. I will likely fab a bracket for the switch rather than drilling a hole into the dash plastic. ID of the switch won't be a problem for me.
I know it could be a PIA but nice option to have when needed

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just fixed that linkage. You can even see whwre it was hitting the little can. The passenger side had about 1/4” gap or so and was fine, so I loosened that bolt that goes through and clocked it up until there was about the same on the driver side. That would have sucked long term. Thanks again for sharing that!

I also sprayed down the bolts with some PB blaster lubricant deal I found that’s supposed to be a preventative. See how that does, I live in the south so I’m not overly concerned with it.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I'm glad you have that fixed. Sometimes the problems we don't know about are the ones most troublesome. I now wonder how many power steps installed by dealers and other installers have the same issues that were not corrected. This is a big reason I like to install my mods to catch these easily overlooked problems.
Good move on the PB Blaster. I think this will be beneficial in the long term.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course they have them right after we installed them lol. That’s a cheaper price than I’ve seen so far too. Guess I gotta order
I guess now that the wires are run through the dash it will be “easy” to just add the additional ones through there.

Last edited:

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Did anyone figure out if they stay deployed longer than a half hour?
Reading the description I surmise they will stay deployed for 30 minutes regardless of door position. After 30 minutes they stay deployed until the door is open and shut at which time they will retract. This makes perfect sense so you don't drive off with the steps down after being parked for over 30 minutes. My steps are low enough I fear they could hit the ground on a steep apron or road hazard. Put it another way, they should stay down while washing the truck up to 30 minutes. That gives enough time to use them to reach the roof and windshield. After 30 minutes the will stay down until a door is opened and closed. I think this is a good functionality for safety.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Of course they have them right after we installed them lol. That’s a cheaper price than I’ve seen so far too. Guess I gotta order
I guess now that the wires are run through the dash it will be “easy” to just add the additional ones through there.
Of course, this is the way it usually works.:)

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only question is about the switch, so it will just stay in the down position then? I mean it won’t return to “neutral” on its own?

So you flip the switch down, they stay down. Then you come back 2 hours later, cycle the door, they go up.

But the switch is still in the down position?

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I am guessing like you but my best guess is it will reset to down position or it might require recycling to the middle position to return to normal. I think the 30 minute deal is for safety. If you have it set to stay retracted the steps will likely remain that way until the switch is set to the middle position. If we had someone on this thread with the actual switch that would answer these questions. All of this depends on the programmed logic of the control module.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading the description I surmise they will stay deployed for 30 minutes regardless of door position. After 30 minutes they stay deployed until the door is open and shut at which time they will retract. This makes perfect sense so you don't drive off with the steps down after being parked for over 30 minutes. My steps are low enough I fear they could hit the ground on a steep apron or road hazard. Put it another way, they should stay down while washing the truck up to 30 minutes. That gives enough time to use them to reach the roof and windshield. After 30 minutes the will stay down until a door is opened and closed. I think this is a good functionality for safety.
I hope so...please post something when you know. Thanks

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess one of us will be the guinea pig then

I cut a little square out of a mx4 bedcover cross piece (old trashed one), that’s powedercoated aluminum. Looks cool, thought it would be cool to mount somewhere vs directly in the dash but doesn’t look like there’s a lot of options for switch mounting in these things. Nothing easy to get to anyway.

Do you have a plan for the switch?

Thinking about cutting a longer rectangle piece to mount this and my reverse light switch on but then no idea where to mount a larger piece.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess one of us will be the guinea pig then

I cut a little square out of a mx4 bedcover cross piece (old trashed one), that’s powedercoated aluminum. Looks cool, thought it would be cool to mount somewhere vs directly in the dash but doesn’t look like there’s a lot of options for switch mounting in these things. Nothing easy to get to anyway.

Do you have a plan for the switch?

Thinking about cutting a longer rectangle piece to mount this and my reverse light switch on but then no idea where to mount a larger piece.
Look on the link he posted from Amazon...Looks like a no brainer

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I was looking for a location as well. The bracket idea I first had probably won't work. Mounting the switch with a bracket will only work if I can find a location that won't reduce the safety or room afforded to the driver. I haven't found that space yet. I have a week to figure that out until the kit arrives. West Coast shipping takes extra time from most suppliers.

If not the bracket, I will find a dash panel that can be readily replaced without too much expense or damage to components filling the space behind. On this new Ram I would look at the panel below the steering column. It is easily removed and there is space on the left side to mount the switch where it accessible and doesn't pose other problems. At least with my black interior a replacement should match if that became necessary.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking for a location as well. The bracket idea I first had probably won't work. Mounting the switch with a bracket will only work if I can find a location that won't reduce the safety or room afforded to the driver. I haven't found that space yet. I have a week to figure that out until the kit arrives. West Coast shipping takes extra time from most suppliers.

If not the bracket, I will find a dash panel that can be readily replaced without too much expense or damage to components filling the space behind. On this new Ram I would look at the panel below the steering column. It is easily removed and there is space on the left side to mount the switch where it accessible and doesn't pose other problems. At least with my black interior a replacement should match if that became necessary.
This looks like a good spot....

Attachments

• 71NI5-q3zDL._SL1500_.jpg
    71NI5-q3zDL._SL1500_.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread