5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerstep Installation

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I am about to start the installation of my AMP powersteps. A quick look under the driver side dash and the OBD port is nowhere to be found. It must be fairly well obscured. Any tips appreciated.

Looking over the plug and play instructions I see the cover on the left end of the dash needs to be removed to access a socket for the AMP wire harness. There are no fasteners visible and before I break something is there a tip on removal of that panel. I hate to mess up a perfectly good new truck.

Thanks for any advice.

j517

Reaction score
the obd port should be right behind the hood release. Look for it these dealership idiots like to hook up alarms and i am guessing they are using the obd port for this. when you buy your truck they are braking the clips and letting then obd ports go where where they go but it should be behind your hood release

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

rossab

Reaction score
just curious because I'm looking at this too... did you look at the mopar power running boards? any reason for going w/ amp research over mopar?

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I choose AMP because this would not require a dealer visit or programming of my stable electronic system. I have dealt with AMP products in the past with positive results. If you shop around I think you can get a better price on the AMP power Boards than the Mopar steps. Shipping is free and no sales tax are also reasons to consider an AMP internet retailer. Both systems are equivalent in quality and durability in my opinion.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO Amp power running boards seem to deploy faster than any of the factory ones. Also, Amp comes with under cab LED lighting that activates with the boards and shines down on them. I've had them on my 3 previous RAMs as well as my 2019, solid product.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
another consideration, I believe the AMP power steps come with a 5 year warranty. As I recall the Mopar steps are a 3 year warranty.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am about to start the installation of my AMP powersteps. A quick look under the driver side dash and the OBD port is nowhere to be found. It must be fairly well obscured. Any tips appreciated.

Looking over the plug and play instructions I see the cover on the left end of the dash needs to be removed to access a socket for the AMP wire harness. There are no fasteners visible and before I break something is there a tip on removal of that panel. I hate to mess up a perfectly good new truck.

Thanks for any advice.
Which model did you get?

jaychris

Reaction score
My AMP powersteps were just delivered so I'll be doing the same here this weekend.

geotex1

Reaction score
another consideration, I believe the AMP power steps come with a 5 year warranty. As I recall the Mopar steps are a 3 year warranty.

You raise an interesting point. If those of us with MaxCare warranties and install the Mopar, will the coverage extend...

Loved my prior AMP steps, but prefer the control of the Mopar for the 2019. The illumination can easily be added so that's not a factor for me at all. The Mopar steps were less money than AMP if you shop around.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You raise an interesting point. If those of us with MaxCare warranties and install the Mopar, will the coverage extend...

Loved my prior AMP steps, but prefer the control of the Mopar for the 2019. The illumination can easily be added so that's not a factor for me at all. The Mopar steps were less money than AMP if you shop around.
If you have the mopar lifetime warranty, would the mopar powersteps be covered under that?

geotex1

Reaction score
If you have the mopar lifetime warranty, would the mopar powersteps be covered under that?

For factory build with them, no doubt. I've submitted the question via email for Mopar bolt-on by dealer. Let's see if I get a response. If so, that's a big discrimator.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For factory build with them, no doubt. I've submitted the question via email for Mopar bolt-on by dealer. Let's see if I get a response. If so, that's a big discrimator.
I ask because I asked the salesman that sold me the truck. He said it will fall under the warranty. But he gave me the answer like he wasn’t sure and just said that. So that’s why I’m asking if anyone else heard the same.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Nice deal. If I wasn't as anal about a professional installation I would jump at that deal.
There is a bit of work to insure long term reliability. Cleaning up the mount studs with a 8mm X 1.5 die and then treating the mount with an anti corrosion spray so those cleaned up studs don't rust over time is one example not mentioned in the instructions. I am also particular about using a torque wrench to the specified torque called out in the instructions. Finally the wiring has to be clean and well bundled to meet my expectation. I am not keen on wire posi-locks for long term reliability. I can't expect most installers to do all these steps and that's fine. I enjoy the challenge of doing a first rate job without the constraint of shop rate hours determining the outcome.
My AMP PowerSteps came with free installation from 4WP!:cool:

pber1

Reaction score
Nice deal. If I wasn't as anal about a professional installation I would jump at that deal.
There is a bit of work to insure long term reliability. Cleaning up the mount studs with a 8mm X 1.5 die and then treating the mount with an anti corrosion spray so those cleaned up studs don't rust over time is one example not mentioned in the instructions. I am also particular about using a torque wrench to the specified torque called out in the instructions. Finally the wiring has to be clean and well bundled to meet my expectation. I am not keen on wire posi-locks for long term reliability. I can't expect most installers to do all these steps and that's fine. I enjoy the challenge of doing a first rate job without the constraint of shop rate hours determining the outcome.
Yeah I don’t have the skills to deal with wiring and stuff! But if you do then it’s best to just get it done yourself and know it’s gonna get done exactly how you want it done!

Users who are viewing this thread