5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Failure! Super Dangerous

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the dealership opened a STAR case now and are working with he Chrysler engineers. EPSM is still on national back order also.

If you get the STAR case number, can you let us know. I haven't heard anything back from Chrysler at this time although I provided the information to @RamCares . I'm not currently working with my dealer as I got the we can't replicate it and I haven't had it occur again.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you get the STAR case number, can you let us know. I haven't heard anything back from Chrysler at this time although I provided the information to @RamCares . I'm not currently working with my dealer as I got the we can't replicate it and I haven't had it occur again.
Yeah, Ill call back after I cut the grass and get everyone this STAR number and post it.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well dealership and FCA in Warren, MI said my EPSM back order part would arrive 27th, 28th, 31st of Oct. now they are saying Nov. 4th. What a joke seems like no one knows when my part is coming and if this part will even fix the issue. Truck is still categorized as "Not Drivable." Dropped my truck off on Oct 20th, so its been there now for 9 working days (13 days total).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't blame you one bit. I can't wait to get rid of mine. Just reached a settlement today in my case, this thing is going bye bye soon.
Well dealership and FCA in Warren, MI said my EPSM back order part would arrive 27th, 28th, 31st of Oct. now they are saying Nov. 4th. What a joke seems like no one knows when my part is coming and if this part will even fix the issue. Truck is still categorized as "Not Drivable." Dropped my truck off on Oct 20th, so its been there now for 9 working days (13 days total).

Really sucks to hear this guy's. I remember not long ago the excitement we all shared while waiting for them to be built...

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

sorry to hear this @alacombe. with all the b.s. you put up with on your eco-diesel this is the LAST thing you need. keep us posted.(y)

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a call from my dealer and he said that its going to be at least another 7 days before the part arrives.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Still no truck...

That's unfortunate. I spoke with my service advisor and he said that he had been contacted by your dealer so they are communicating the fix. I would really press them to go ahead and replace that PCM, my truck seems to be fixed since they did that where as it took just a few days for it to fail again with only the rack pinion and EPSM.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I spoke with my service advisor and he said that he had been contacted by your dealer so they are communicating the fix. I would really press them to go ahead and replace that PCM, my truck seems to be fixed since they did that where as it took just a few days for it to fail again with only the rack pinion and EPSM.
Just spoke with them they said they put a new PCM in but then my truck wouldn't start so they put the old PCM back in it. lol what a joke

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Just spoke with them they said they put a new PCM in but then my truck wouldn't start so they put the old PCM back in it. lol what a joke

Wow, that's astonishing. If I were the tech, I would be trying to figure out why a new PCM wouldn't work, not just throwing the old one back in.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. Sounds like some amateurs. They do know they have to program the pcm in witech don’t they

syddog 2000

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this, I don't know how I missed this thread. I am glad nobody has been hurt, Yet>>> FCA needs to step up here.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a call today say they are now going to replace them PCM and order a another new one which is 3 days out still

DSOOBY

Reaction score
That stinks that you're out without your truck a few more days, but 2-3 days was the wait for a new PCM for my truck as well so it doesn't sound out of line. I really think they just had a bad batch of PCM's that is causing this issue, my truck has been back to normal since I picked it up last week and I have put around 250 miles on it since. Have faith sir.

Uscg1

Reaction score
Our first 2019 had the power steering failure also. The dealer could not find the problem so they had a factory engineer from ram come down. What took the dealer almost 2 weeks the engineer found in 30 minutes. Not sure where but there was a poor ground somewhere in the power steering system. Engineer discovered when I would loose the p/s the volts at the electric rack would drop to under 10 volts.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our first 2019 had the power steering failure also. The dealer could not find the problem so they had a factory engineer from ram come down. What took the dealer almost 2 weeks the engineer found in 30 minutes. Not sure where but there was a poor ground somewhere in the power steering system. Engineer discovered when I would loose the p/s the volts at the electric rack would drop to under 10 volts.
First 2019 Ram?

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my 2019 Ram back today from the dealership after 23 days. They replaced the PCM and they also put 292 miles on my truck. They performed cases: 1808000162 and 1823000030 (w.e that means). They already replaced the EPSM too. According to the dealership this was approx $4,200 of warranty work. Star case was opened also as I previously noted. Should also be noted that my service advisor stated "This is why I am a GM girl." Love hearing this at a Ram dealership lol

This started at approx 2300 miles.

Star Case # 101283699

Last edited:

immersivenc

Reaction score
Got my 2019 Ram back today from the dealership after 23 days. They replaced the PCM and they also put 292 miles on my truck. They performed cases: 1808000162 and 1823000030 (w.e that means). They already replaced the EPSM too. According to the dealership this was approx $4,200 of warranty work. Star case was opened also as I previously noted. Should also be noted that my service advisor stated "This is why I am a GM girl." Love hearing this at a Ram dealership lol

This started at approx 2300 miles.

Star Case # 101283699

Wow. Sounds like it’s time to start drafting another manufacturer notification letter...

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got a phone call related to this claim of my power steering failure, my claim of my transmission issue, and my 2017 lemon law. FCA stated they will give me 6 full synthetic oil changes and 6 tire rotations over a 3 year period for all my troubles. So i am telling all of you never stop complaining to FCA they do have room to provide you extra for your issues.

Users who are viewing this thread