5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Failure! Super Dangerous

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused about electronic power steering (EPS).

I do have some experience with driving a vehicle with EPS as our 2017 Tahoe has it. Isn't it "assisted" just like on older power steering systems only using an electric motor vs a hydraulic pump?

I guess I'm asking what the difference is between an electronic system that looses the assist controls and a hydraulic system that looses a pump belt. Can you still steer the vehicle, or do you lose all steering control?
I was just thinking the same thing. I've driven plenty of non-powered steering vehicles with relative ease. Does the electronic steering on this cause total lock-up upon failure?

In my case when the power steering failed and also pops up in the dashboard cluster the steering becomes rock hard and nearly impossible to turn the wheel its like fighting a rhino. So when this occurs into a turn while your already turning its almost garnered to crash into something.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Do I read that right almost 113 hours of labour :eek:
In dollars I would say, there's no way they have that much in it, also has a parts amount of zero and total next to it which makes me think this. @alacombe hard to blame you, it's disheartening to be having multiple issues, especially this one.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yes, for whatever reason the electric assist cars are near impossible if not working. Found this out when I was driving rollback towing. Even small cars with little weight take two men and a half to horse around

DSOOBY

Reaction score
You have to eat your Wheaties for sure if you’re going to make any adjustments in the steering when it goes out. I was lucky enough to have it go out on a straight highway and I managed to get over into the shoulder, it reset shortly after pulling off though .

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to eat your Wheaties for sure if you’re going to make any adjustments in the steering when it goes out. I was lucky enough to have it go out on a straight highway and I managed to get over into the shoulder, it reset shortly after pulling off though .
Very true its like fighting a rhino when it goes out and when your not expecting it and can catch you off guard.

Remixznflow

Reaction score
Very true its like fighting a rhino when it goes out and when your not expecting it and can catch you off guard.

This worries me greatly with a young one in the truck all the time. Can you at least brake?! I've had the power steering go out on another car and it was terrible trying to get it off the road. Should I just make an appointment and take mine in to be checked? Should I print the codes that you guys are putting in this thread and make repair this issue early?

LaRamie

Reaction score
Problem is they won't be able to do anything until it acts up and they can duplicate or they order a recall when they find they cause and affected unit numbers. I have the same reservations about it, it's the wife's daily driver and we have a young one too. Hopefully a fix is out by the time we get into the affected mileage range.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This worries me greatly with a young one in the truck all the time. Can you at least brake?! I've had the power steering go out on another car and it was terrible trying to get it off the road. Should I just make an appointment and take mine in to be checked? Should I print the codes that you guys are putting in this thread and make repair this issue early?
They could not duplicate mine but they said the code I mentioned was stored so they can see it did fail at one point.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess they are replacing my rack and pin? also w.e that means. They also told me there is no difference between the EPSM and the rack and pin. They said both are the same thing. Can anyone clarify this for me?

RamRam

Reaction score
C'mon Man. I literally just ordered a new ram last night and am dumping my '15 F150 because I can't trust that truck for this very problem. They replaced my entire rack in that truck but who's to say it's not to happen again with a new part. Why did it fail, what exactly failed. Luckily I was going 2 miles an hour in a parking lot but it locks up the wheels completely. Looks like there's a bigger issue in the industry with this new fangled doodagery. Great improvement! Now I'm scared I'm trading one nightmare for another. Thanks for the one link, I'm going to register it on the vehicle safety site.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
C'mon Man. I literally just ordered a new ram last night and am dumping my '15 F150 because I can't trust that truck for this very problem. They replaced my entire rack in that truck but who's to say it's not to happen again with a new part. Why did it fail, what exactly failed. Luckily I was going 2 miles an hour in a parking lot but it locks up the wheels completely. Looks like there's a bigger issue in the industry with this new fangled doodagery. Great improvement! Now I'm scared I'm trading one nightmare for another. Thanks for the one link, I'm going to register it on the vehicle safety site.
I am selling this 2019 when I get it back from the dealer most likely. I lost alot of my confidence with it and seeing everyone else problems just irritates me even more. I wouldn't buy a 2019 Ram again I would for sure wait till the following year hoping alot of these issues are solved.

Last edited:

RamRam

Reaction score
I am selling this 2019 when I get it back from the dealer most likely. I lost alot of my confidence with it and seeing everyone else problems just irritates me even more. I wouldn't buy a 2019 Ram again I would for sure wait till the following year hoping alot of these issues are solved.
Alacombe, heed my warning about Ford during your search for a new vehicle. 3 years and 3 major drive train issues, two of which could have killed me. And everything was a fight.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my fight is just begginging. This is my 2nd fight with the FCA my 1st fight was a lemon. A FCA employee from Warren, MI just called me regarding my truck they seem interested more then usual this time compared to my last time prolly because I could have got hurt and or crashed my car.

immersivenc

Reaction score

I don't blame you one bit. I can't wait to get rid of mine. Just reached a settlement today in my case, this thing is going bye bye soon.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess the dealership opened a STAR case now and are working with he Chrysler engineers. EPSM is still on national back order also.

Users who are viewing this thread