5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Failure! Super Dangerous

HandyAndy74

Reaction score
I am having the same issue at 37,500 miles. No power assist and the same warning message on the dash. Sitting at the dealer now with no parts available and no real care given by RAM.

What is a solution?? anyone know ??

Wsmith

Reaction score
I am having the same issue at 37,500 miles. No power assist and the same warning message on the dash. Sitting at the dealer now with no parts available and no real care given by RAM.

What is a solution?? anyone know ??
A previous post in this thread, page 8, showed a recall for 2019's VIN specific. You show no information on what you are driving. Check your VIN with the recall,.

HandyAndy74

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. checked vin # with safercar.gov website and nothing showing active with that #. Seems crazy that they ONLY accept a certain vin# or date range when clearly the logic stands that there may be others experiencing the same issue and need help too. Recalls are a complete joke and a way for the manufacturer to get out of a problem the easy way. Fix a certain amount of cars and show interest and the problem "goes away"??

27ftToaster

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 RAM 2500 Limited Diesel November 17, 2020. At 4300 miles, Dec 27 while in remote Texas towing a 8000 lb travel trailer, (2000 miles from home) I received the message "Power Steering Unavailable. Service Required". Went to nearest dealer 2 1/2 hours away and they pulled a code C008E-00 ECU Internal Performance, Internal Failure in Steering Assist Module. They told me I needed part #68507900AB. But there are none available nationwide, showing a 45+ day delivery. I have 2000 miles to drive home with my trailer! I opened a case with Chrysler Care and the latest is that they are expediting the part to my home dealer and should be there in 2 more weeks. Needless to say, that spending $80k for a luxury truck, yet the company cannot locate parts, is truly disappointing. I purchased RAM due to their fine reputation. I understand parts, especially electronically controlled parts, can fail. They should expect that. But I have been left high and dry by Dodge. This issue needs addressing for sure.

Are there others out there losing their power steering still? Am I one in a million?

Boston

Reaction score
You are one in a million.

You are also posting in the wrong forum. This is for 1500’s.

Try the HD forum

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score

imryanthompson

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but felt it was worth sharing my story, and also want to use this as an opportunity to bring it to @RamCares attention since it's of serious concern when it involves my two kids, and the dealer has been less than responsive.

Own a 2019 Ram BigHorn. Fortunately we had just cleared an extremely winding mountain pass when my power steering went out at 70mph. I was fortunate to gain control of the vehicle and get it over to the shoulder. Just as I got it to the shoulder the check engine and other lights started popping up on the dash. It scares me every time I think about what could have happened if it went out just moments before when we were on the winding mountain pass at speed.

We ended up having to have the truck towed 100miles home to the dealer and my wife had to drive out to meet us and grab my kids who were terrified standing on the side of the highway. I had it towed to the dealer Sunday. It's now been over a week and they still have not looked at it. After researching the issue and reading these threads my confidence in RAM and driving this vehicle with my kids inside it going forward has dwindled.

Not sure what can be done at this point, but thought I would share my experience.

Stay safe my friends!

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but felt it was worth sharing my story, and also want to use this as an opportunity to bring it to @RamCares attention since it's of serious concern when it involves my two kids, and the dealer has been less than responsive.

Own a 2019 Ram BigHorn. Fortunately we had just cleared an extremely winding mountain pass when my power steering went out at 70mph. I was fortunate to gain control of the vehicle and get it over to the shoulder. Just as I got it to the shoulder the check engine and other lights started popping up on the dash. It scares me every time I think about what could have happened if it went out just moments before when we were on the winding mountain pass at speed.

We ended up having to have the truck towed 100miles home to the dealer and my wife had to drive out to meet us and grab my kids who were terrified standing on the side of the highway. I had it towed to the dealer Sunday. It's now been over a week and they still have not looked at it. After researching the issue and reading these threads my confidence in RAM and driving this vehicle with my kids inside it going forward has dwindled.

Not sure what can be done at this point, but thought I would share my experience.

Stay safe my friends!
I don't know why people continue to say "my confidence in RAM and driving this vehicle going forward has dwindled" just because your power steering went out. Every new car for the past 10 yrs come with electric power steering. Sometimes they fail. I work at Mercedes and have replaced tons of electric power steering racks due to failure. It is an electrical part, THEY FAIL. Doesn't make the truck a POS because it failed. What do you expect RAM CARES to do? If you are still under warranty, they will replace it, if not, get ready to pay.

imryanthompson

Reaction score
I don't know why people continue to say "my confidence in RAM and driving this vehicle going forward has dwindled" just because your power steering went out. Every new car for the past 10 yrs come with electric power steering. Sometimes they fail. I work at Mercedes and have replaced tons of electric power steering racks due to failure. It is an electrical part, THEY FAIL. Doesn't make the truck a POS because it failed. What do you expect RAM CARES to do? If you are still under warranty, they will replace it, if not, get ready to pay.
Noted. Yes, fortunately I have an extended warranty on the truck.

Sounds like I'm now in the market for a good ole fashion horse and buggy :)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Stay safe my friends!
Hey,

We're glad that you tagged us. We'd like to be able to help while your vehicle is at the dealer. Please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread