5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Failure! Super Dangerous

Rich

Reaction score
Does anyone have photos of the exact issue? Perhaps we have to wait for FCA to issue the recall or a TSB on this?

I was thinking it would be nice to check it on my truck in case it takes the dealer a month to get the details and be able to make an appointment about it.

HossNC

Reaction score
Bram2019, you are correct. That ground being an issue for most systems on these trucks is nothing new. There has been a TSB in regard to securing that ground for "stiff steering" out since late October. I apologize I missed post #98 in the middle of skimming 6 pages of this thread prior to my first post on this forum to try to give guys a little insight on what I have seen. It appears that bothered you to some extent. My bad. In any case, the real issue in these situations of overcharge goes well beyond simply cleaning this particular ground. Doing so will for sure temporarily cure the symptoms. However, a permanent fix needs to go far beyond that. This particular issue is a return circuit architectural problem, not just a clean it up once every 5k miles problem. Not getting into specifics was intentional.
mr22 - Great info. Do you have the TSB info for the "stiff steering"?

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checked with my service writer yesterday. No campaigns showing for my VIN yet. I'll just wait for the letter.
My dealer said my VIN number isn't showing up yet either. I was a late August build.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also log into Mopar.com and it will update with any recalls available for your truck

Rich

Reaction score
Has anyone's truck that is in the 'build date' target range (before October 25, 2018) show up on the affected VIN list yet?

My truck is in the affected date range, but my Mopar dashboard shows no recalls at this time.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone's truck that is in the 'build date' target range (before October 25, 2018) show up on the affected VIN list yet?

My truck is in the affected date range, but my Mopar dashboard shows no recalls at this time.
If it's anything like the Mustang Takata airbag recall, it could be a month or two. I had a 2013 Roush Mustang and the recall notice took over 3 months and then they didn't have replacement airbags anyway. I actually traded the Mustang before it was repaired.

Jay4334

Reaction score
Unreal....this literally just happened to me about two hours ago after dropping off my kids to school. I almost hit someone the first time it happened, and it occurred 2 more times in the 5 blocks back to my house. I read this thread when I got home and called my local dealer to remedy. Reedman Toll Springfield, called and receptionist asked if I could come in today and I said I hope it'll make it there, I almost crashed once today. So she asks what about Monday?!? I said it should be towed for safety, and she said ok if you want to do that you'll have to let me know that's how your bringing it here. Anyway I just got here and they hop in and test drive it around the corner and ask to talk to me. Was told, "we just test drove it and don't see a problem, what do you want us to do?". I told him its documented and related to the recall currently open on my truck. He flips over his sheet and says "oh yeah". Almost like he knew about it but didn't want to take care of it. Then he asks if I want to wait around or come back another time. ****ing seriously?!?! Did you not hear the part of my morning recap where I almost ran someone over today because of it. Yes...let me come back AFTER I kill someone or myself. UNREAL.....FCA pays for your shop labor what's the need to act like I am bothering you for free work.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Unreal....this literally just happened to me about two hours ago after dropping off my kids to school. I almost hit someone the first time it happened, and it occurred 2 more times in the 5 blocks back to my house. I read this thread when I got home and called my local dealer to remedy. Reedman Toll Springfield, called and receptionist asked if I could come in today and I said I hope it'll make it there, I almost crashed once today. So she asks what about Monday?!? I said it should be towed for safety, and she said ok if you want to do that you'll have to let me know that's how your bringing it here. Anyway I just got here and they hop in and test drive it around the corner and ask to talk to me. Was told, "we just test drove it and don't see a problem, what do you want us to do?". I told him its documented and related to the recall currently open on my truck. He flips over his sheet and says "oh yeah". Almost like he knew about it but didn't want to take care of it. Then he asks if I want to wait around or come back another time. ****ing seriously?!?! Did you not hear the part of my morning recap where I almost ran someone over today because of it. Yes...let me come back AFTER I kill someone or myself. UNREAL.....FCA pays for your shop labor what's the need to act like I am bothering you for free work.

What a joke, find a new dealer that actually cares about its customers. This recall takes 5 minutes to perform, there's no excuse for ignoring a recall and it borders on illegal.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My recall work is scheduled for Monday. I haven't had the issue. I was actually towing my enclosed 24' trailer with it today. I'll be towing again tomorrow. I had my Jeep in for its airbag recall today. That's done and I'll pick it up in a while.

BluegrassRam

Reaction score
Mine is scheduled for next week. What worries me is I have already had my truck in service once for this before the recall was announced and they said that they actually did this the first time. I hope this time it is actually fixed. Mine acts up multiple times a week. Not to the point that it completely stops working but it catches and will not return to center without me manually doing it.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is scheduled for next week. What worries me is I have already had my truck in service once for this before the recall was announced and they said that they actually did this the first time. I hope this time it is actually fixed. Mine acts up multiple times a week. Not to the point that it completely stops working but it catches and will not return to center without me manually doing it.
Sounds like you have an unrelated issue, not the electric power steering. Anything in the front suspension could cause your problem.

Reaction score
I’m having what feels like a dead spot or reluctant wheel from the left side only. Like it fights me a bit coming back to zero. Right has zero issues and is smooth back to zero. Started about 1500 miles. I’m now at 2200 and seems to be getting worse.

RAM Cares?

BluegrassRam

Reaction score
I’m having what feels like a dead spot or reluctant wheel from the left side only. Like it fights me a bit coming back to zero. Right has zero issues and is smooth back to zero. Started about 1500 miles. I’m now at 2200 and seems to be getting worse.

RAM Cares?
Mine was the same way. Just got it back from the dealer and they installed a new rack. I will let you know after this coming week if this has completely taken care of it.

Reaction score
I took mine to the dealership and discussed what was happening. They told me they didn’t want me driving it and asked me to leave it and gave me a free rental. Yes, sucks my trucks there but I like their proactive response. Hoping they get it fixed soon.

DeanE10

Reaction score
9/17 - Light came on "Service Power Steering!" but no fault or steering issues. I took it to the dealer immediately and found this post shortly after dropping it off. According to the notes, they scraped the ground lugs and tightened everything and the light went off. Not sure if the ground is the only problem but so far so good. My 2019 Rebel was built 5/19, purchased 8/15 and I have 4865 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread