5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Failure! Super Dangerous

Bram2019

Reaction score
In my opinion this is an engineering gaff. The whole rack is run by 5 wires. Power, ign on, ground and 2 bus wires. If any wire fails, the power steering fails. The ground in particular is stupid. It should directly connect to a point on the main ground cable stud on the frame or the battery IBS. Instead it is connected to a separate stud on the frame, so it is dependent on too many connectors plus the frame to maintain ground. Any corrosion or looseness and no power steering. But it is cheaper to do what they did. Less cable needed. On the DS trucks it is connected right to the Battery IBS. Some bean counter must have been at work. The original engineer who designed the DS system knew what he was doing. Unless there is some alternative reason to do this, it looks like FCA tried to save money.
If a recall happens, there will be some effort to fix the ground I would guess.

RAM309702

Reaction score
Bram2019, you are correct. That ground being an issue for most systems on these trucks is nothing new. There has been a TSB in regard to securing that ground for "stiff steering" out since late October. I apologize I missed post #98 in the middle of skimming 6 pages of this thread prior to my first post on this forum to try to give guys a little insight on what I have seen. It appears that bothered you to some extent. My bad. In any case, the real issue in these situations of overcharge goes well beyond simply cleaning this particular ground. Doing so will for sure temporarily cure the symptoms. However, a permanent fix needs to go far beyond that. This particular issue is a return circuit architectural problem, not just a clean it up once every 5k miles problem. Not getting into specifics was intentional.

Thank you so much for posing this, many of us here are very appreciative you took the time to make an account and report your findings.

Do you have any idea how the higher ups are discussing the overall fix? Also is this an issue on all RAMs, or just some of them?

Bram2019

Reaction score
Thank you so much for posing this, many of us here are very appreciative you took the time to make an account and report your findings.

Do you have any idea how the higher ups are discussing the overall fix? Also is this an issue on all RAMs, or just some of them?
All the 2019 DT new style Rams are wired like this. So potentially any of those could have this happen. Hit and miss. At some point an actual tsb may be issued. Not aware of one. But there is apparently a star bulletin addressing a parallel complaint according to another poster. Grounds are always issues in any vehicle. The problem here is it is tied to the power steering complaint

greatone99

Reaction score
All the 2019 DT new style Rams are wired like this. So potentially any of those could have this happen. Hit and miss. At some point an actual tsb may be issued. Not aware of one. But there is apparently a star bulletin addressing a parallel complaint according to another poster. Grounds are always issues in any vehicle. The problem here is it is tied to the power steering complaint
recall has been issued

Tom488

Reaction score
And some more info, including build date:

"FCA US LLC is recalling certain 2019 Ram 1500 pickups, to tighten an improperly secured battery ground-circuit fastener. Affected vehicles were built before October 25, 2018, and could lose power steering assist if the ground-circuit fastener becomes loose enough to create an open circuit. Steering ability would be retained in the event of a failure but it could lead to inconsistent steering feedback, which may contribute to oversteer or understeer, increasing the risk of a crash."

My truck was built 11-06-18, but the next time I have it in the air, I'll be checking this ground, and probably adding a little green Loctite.

zman9119

Reaction score
"by law they have 60 days to start the owner notification process"

I'm sure they will use all of those days before they start sending them out.

Rich

Reaction score

"FCA US LLC is recalling certain 2019 Ram 1500 pickups, to tighten an improperly secured battery ground-circuit fastener. Affected vehicles were built before October 25, 2018, and could lose power steering assist if the ground-circuit fastener becomes loose enough to create an open circuit. Steering ability would be retained in the event of a failure but it could lead to inconsistent steering feedback, which may contribute to oversteer or understeer, increasing the risk of a crash."

My truck was built 11-06-18, but the next time I have it in the air, I'll be checking this ground, and probably adding a little green Loctite.

Careful with the Loctite, it may not promote a good electrical connection which is very important in this case.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Reaction score

Just be careful. The car complaints website says it's all trucks built AFTER 10/25/18.

Tom488

Reaction score
Just be careful. The car complaints website says it's all trucks built AFTER 10/25/18.
Yeah - that makes no sense. A manufacturer identifies a build problem, fixes it going forward, then announces a recall for the trucks that weren't built correctly. They don't identify a current problem, and issue an open-ended recall for all trucks going forward.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck suffered from this issue and trust me its super dangerous. I was turning at approx 35mph and the steering just locked up very difficult to pull through.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
My truck suffered from this issue and trust me its super dangerous. I was turning at approx 35mph and the steering just locked up very difficult to pull through.

Yep, near impossible to steer without power. Glad it's gotten the recall put forth on it, I guess even though ours have been " fixed", I'm still taking mine in just to make sure that fastener is squared away. I'm sure it was buttoned down when the racks and PCM's were replaced though and that's what fixed the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread