5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards

Jelectric

Reaction score
Yeah I talked to them about it and they said that they are still waiting to hear from RAM re; compatibility. Something about whether or not the computers have changed this year.
I had AMP's on my last truck and they worked flawlessly. Deployed instantly and retracted within 5 seconds of closing door. Loved them.
Sounds good if they tell you that's there been a change let us know.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a side by side comparison somewhere on cumminsforum, and the amps beat out the factory steps by about 4/10 of a second when deploying.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For everyone saying their factory power running boards are fast enough, speed is relative.
For many people 28mph in a 25mph zone is plenty fast enough for them.
Some people are just physically quicker at moving around. There are many times when I'm in a hurry that my foot hits the board before it's fully down. But normally the board is down an instant before my foot hits it.
They are a bit slow in my opinion.

Last edited:

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Actually, they take 1.5 seconds, where the amps take 1.0-1.1 seconds to deploy.
Sounds about right. A screaming two year old will get you out of a vehicle real quick and my boards have always been down when my foot hit.

But, maybe some boards were built on Monday and some on better days of the week. LOL

Darkrt

Reaction score
If the truck is on fire, yes they might be slow. Normally when I step the step is there.

flht84

Reaction score
I’m looking at Laramies, and not many available with power running boards. Could this be a dealer option or an aftermarket option? If so, any idea on price?
I am pricing boards right now. Mopar boards installed $1870.00 at dealer plus sales tax. Amp research boards at truck specialty shop $1920.00 installed. The difference in price is not a deciding factor. I just don’t know which one to choose? 2019 big horn 1500 crew cab. I have chrome wheel to wheel steps on it now

doolin64

Reaction score
If you take your time, you can install the boards yourself. It's not difficult. I installed a set on my 2014 Ram and on my 2020 Gladiator.

NCShooter

Reaction score
I installed AMP Research boards on my 2016 Ram 1500, really not that difficult. Mine are definitely faster than the ones I have observed on my buddies 2021 Limited. Mine hasn’t arrived yet, we’ll see.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am pricing boards right now. Mopar boards installed $1870.00 at dealer plus sales tax. Amp research boards at truck specialty shop $1920.00 installed. The difference in price is not a deciding factor. I just don’t know which one to choose? 2019 big horn 1500 crew cab. I have chrome wheel to wheel steps on it now
I would just go Mopar, so it’s integrated with the radio settings and EVIC. If you’re capable of doing either install yourself, I would still go Mopar. They are already assembled boards, and you just bolt them right on in 10 minutes. The amp steps have to be put together. Then, the wiring and module mounting is pretty easy, too. Then, just have the dealer add the sales code, or use AlfaOBD to enable the power step settings yourself.

rbundy84

Reaction score
Thanks - good info here

86grand

Reaction score
It must be all those with the gas saving 3.21's. My boards aren't slow but i opted for 3.92s :)

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m looking at Laramies, and not many available with power running boards. Could this be a dealer option or an aftermarket option? If so, any idea on price?
I love mine on my new Laramie. Also I am a very impatient person. When I ordered this truck I read how people said they were too slow to deploy. I don’t think they are at all and I’m one of them open the door Jump in or out quick guys! Good luck in whatever you decide👍🏻

rbundy84

Reaction score
I love mine on my new Laramie. Also I am a very impatient person. When I ordered this truck I read how people said they were too slow to deploy. I don’t think they are at all and I’m one of them open the door Jump in or out quick guys! Good luck in whatever you decide👍🏻
Did you custom build the truck through a dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread