5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards

rbundy84

Reaction score
I’m looking at Laramies, and not many available with power running boards. Could this be a dealer option or an aftermarket option? If so, any idea on price?

Triman11427

Reaction score
I'm getting Laramie with power running boards. You have to go with the level 2 package and add the running boards as a $995 option. Apparently the level 1 doesn't have the electronics to run the power running boards.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
1 - Dealer can add the power running boards after the fact, at a higher price of course.

2 - You can add the Mopar ones yourself, but to get the soft button and cluster notifications of the board position then you will need the dealer to add the sales code or use AlfaOBD.

3 - Install one of the various aftermarket companies, but you will not have the integration of the Mopar steps.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I'm getting Laramie with power running boards. You have to go with the level 2 package and add the running boards as a $995 option. Apparently the level 1 doesn't have the electronics to run the power running boards.
Good to know - thanks!

Triman11427

Reaction score
While I was shopping around various dealers the conversation about the power running boards came up. For me it's a "must have". I was told exactly what Rebel Wraith wrote and the dealer install price was waaaay more than factory install. For me its worth the extra money and besides you get a very practical 19 speaker Harmon Cardon stereo as an added perk ;)(y)

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was me, I would get regular step bars...having a Limited with the power ones, I can tell you they are waaay-toooo-sloooooow to deploy. Kind of aggravating to be honest. Lol

rbundy84

Reaction score
If it was me, I would get regular step bars...having a Limited with the power ones, I can tell you they are waaay-toooo-sloooooow to deploy. Kind of aggravating to be honest. Lol
Good to know - thanks!

The trick is going to be trying to find ones that don’t stand out too much and/or are ugly/tacky....

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
The power steps I installed on my Rebel are deployed and down as I am stepping out. I wouldn't consider that slow.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with amp power steps instead, they use the obd2 port and you won’t have access to the steps on your headunit like the factory steps but is that a must have feature. It’s seems the factory retractable steps have their fair share of issues based off what’s I’ve seen around here. Can’t say I’ve ever recall hearing anyone having issues with amp steps on a 5th gen. I had them in my 4th gen Ram for years and never had a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flyfingers

Reaction score
According to the AMP rep I talked with they are not available yet for the '21 MY. Something about waiting for Ram to verify that nothing has changed from the 2020's

RSConsulting

Reaction score
are they aftermarket? the oem ones are slow, and that's a known issue.

AMP is the OEM for Mopar on these - they will be essentially the same - and EVEN WORSE, as they don't "integrate seamlessly.

I'm not sure what "too slow" really is. Could they be FASTER? I guess. I can wait the extra 2 seconds. Hell - I have to wait for my air ride to get to entry/exit to get my fat *** in & out.

What constitutes a "known issue"? Are some OEM steps slower than others? Or can you walk up to a row of them, and they all deploy at the same speed - but it's TOO SLOW FOR YOUR LIKING? Don't get me wrong here - I'm finicky as hell about my stuff - I just don't see a major issue with how fast they deploy. I wish they would RETRACT A LITTLE SOONER, as I hear them come up sometimes as I'm pulling away.

Funny side story - I had a 2019 classic base model as a loaner one day, while the truck was in the shop. I COULD NOT CLIMB IN AND OUT OF THE THING.

I'll take my slow air ride & slow deploying, FACTORY INSTALLED step.

For practicality and appearance - I don't know that I would like "nerf bars" on my truck. I have a new Yukon Denali XL on order - and it has the same step and air ride.

Rick

Grouper

Reaction score
I've had the truck for a month. I can't say I've noticed any need to alter my normal flow of entering or exiting the truck in order to wait for the step to deploy. It's there when I need it.

I was on the fence about ordering these and I can say I'm 100% glad that I did. Great option!

2 - You can add the Mopar ones yourself, but to get the soft button and cluster notifications of the board position then you will need the dealer to add the sales code or use AlfaOBD.

I'm sure I can go out to the driveway and figure this out but after a month of ownership, I haven't even noticed info regarding the power steps on the display screen.

What information/notification is displayed? How/why would I care about interacting with the steps via the screen? Deactivation?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I've had the truck for a month. I can't say I've noticed any need to alter my normal flow of entering or exiting the truck in order to wait for the step to deploy. It's there when I need it.

I was on the fence about ordering these and I can say I'm 100% glad that I did. Great option!

I'm sure I can go out to the driveway and figure this out but after a month of ownership, I haven't even noticed info regarding the power steps on the display screen.

What information/notification is displayed? How/why would I care about interacting with the steps via the screen? Deactivation?
You can deactivate them or put them out all the time. Some people like to keep them out for cleaning purposes.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score

In the "CONTROLS" screen there is a soft button. If you press it the boards will deploy and stay that way till you retract them. As mentioned this is great for cleaning or if you are in full parking lot it helps with door dings.
If you have a screen in your gauge cluster a little animation will show a Ram spin on screen, show the boards highlighted, and a notice saying the position of the boards. This only happens when you use the soft button.

TxAg98

Reaction score
I’m looking at Laramies, and not many available with power running boards. Could this be a dealer option or an aftermarket option? If so, any idea on price?
They came on my '21 Laramie as part of the Southwest Edition Package, which is obviously regional.

Users who are viewing this thread