5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards

Grouper

Reaction score
In the "CONTROLS" screen there is a soft button. If you press it the boards will deploy and stay that way till you retract them. As mentioned this is great for cleaning or if you are in full parking lot it helps with door dings.
I'm not following the full-parking lot logic.

Are you suggesting you leave the boards extended when parked to try to keep other cars from parking too close?

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
I got the 2021 Laramie with Level 1 package, but also got the Southwest package which added the power running boards.
They are deployed by the time my foot reaches them.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score

Are you suggesting you leave the boards extended when parked to try to keep other cars from parking too close?
If a person opens their car door it will hit the running board before it hits your truck. At least with mine it will as I'm lifted.

Scmil

Reaction score

I don't have the OEM power boards, but I do have the AMP steps and with them staying in the deployed position they stick out further than the body of the truck (lifted as well). The steps would be what another car door would hit from the sides.

Grouper

Reaction score
I don't have the OEM power boards, but I do have the AMP steps and with them staying in the deployed position they stick out further than the body of the truck (lifted as well). The steps would be what another car door would hit from the sides.

Got it. My truck is stock height. The boards sit pretty low.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ya..I don't care what anyone says...you pull the door handle on a Lincoln Navigator, and those power boards are out before you can let go of the handle...My RAM ones take twice as long. Many times I wind up stepping on the board while it is STILL deploying....is it the end of the world? no...but it is fact! lol

Triman11427

Reaction score
I got the 2021 Laramie with Level 1 package, but also got the Southwest package which added the power running boards.
They are deployed by the time my foot reaches them.
Thats a specific option for the Southwest edition. Here in the NE I couldn’t even order the SW model and thats what I really wanted. It has very thing I was looking for without having to add options.

BigBear1612

Reaction score
I had the dealer install the aftermarket AMP Research ones. Best investment I made, they deploy as soon as I open the door very fast. My wife loves them they make it easy for her getting in and out of the truck.

doolin64

Reaction score
If it was me, I would get regular step bars...having a Limited with the power ones, I can tell you they are waaay-toooo-sloooooow to deploy. Kind of aggravating to be honest. Lol
I have to agree here. They are a bit too slow. Overall, I feel the benefit outweighs the lack of speed.

I've had AMP running boards on my last two vehicles and they deployed much faster.

When I ordered my truck, I liked having them installed right from the factory. I'd don't regret the purchase, just wish they deployed faster.

KCViper

Reaction score
This is good information and I did order my truck with this option. When testing at the dealership, I don't recall them being slow to deploy. Hopefully my truck will arrive with quick deployable running boards!

Jelectric

Reaction score
If it was me, I would get regular step bars...having a Limited with the power ones, I can tell you they are waaay-toooo-sloooooow to deploy. Kind of aggravating to be honest. Lol
Your not the first person I've heard say that about the power running boards. I planned on adding them to my Ram but a family member with a Limited told me he's not happy with his because he has to wait for them to come down, just to slow. I was wondering if any aftermarket power running boards are as slow because I still want them. Does anyone know if aftermarket power boards are any faster??

doolin64

Reaction score
Your not the first person I've heard say that about the power running boards. I planned on adding them to my Ram but a family member with a Limited told me he's not happy with his because he has to wait for them to come down, just to slow. I was wondering if any aftermarket power running boards are as slow because I still want them. Does anyone know if aftermarket power boards are any faster??
3 posts up I commented on this. Amp powerboards are faster. I had a set on my F150 and on my Gladiator.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
🤨 First I've heard of this. Never had an issue with slow deploying running boards as they're always in position when I'm getting in or out. I am getting older though...

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
🤨 First I've heard of this. Never had an issue with slow deploying running boards as they're always in position when I'm getting in or out. I am getting older though...
....there was a post awhile back " what's the one thing you don't like about your RAM"...LOTS of comments...some were about the slow running board deployment.

Jelectric

Reaction score
Will do but I think you have to select 2020 model year on their site. I'll double check that.
Yes just checked their site and you must select 2020 Ram. Hardly anything if anything at all has changed from 2020 to 2021 model years that would have an effect on installing the running boards.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Yeah I talked to them about it and they said that they are still waiting to hear from RAM re; compatibility. Something about whether or not the computers have changed this year.
I had AMP's on my last truck and they worked flawlessly. Deployed instantly and retracted within 5 seconds of closing door. Loved them.

Users who are viewing this thread