5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power inverter capacity

Fishwiz

Reaction score
First off I apologize if it's been shared, but I couldn't find it via search.

I have a Bighorn level 2 with rambox. It has 3 power outlets (dash, back seat, and rambox). Are they all on the same circuit so that I have 400 watts total? Or do I have 400 watts at each outlet? Or, are the two interior outlets on sharing 400 watts, and the rambox outlet has its own 400watts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reverse

Reaction score
It's in the manual.... All outlets share the total capacity.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
The RamBox outlet is almost pointless for running any power tool other than a corded dremel or charging a wireless speaker. Couldn't run my shop vac or my corded impact drill....the only two things I really would have liked it for so far.

CJR28

Reaction score
Can the inverter be upgraded?:unsure:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, in reality its just if you have lower powered devices that use a standard plug instead of a USB.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running a coffee maker off their inverter? We lose power frequently and the last time my wife wanted me to plug the coffee maker into the truck....I wasn't sure if it could handle it.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried running a coffee maker off their inverter? We lose power frequently and the last time my wife wanted me to plug the coffee maker into the truck....I wasn't sure if it could handle it.
An average coffee maker will draw between 1,000 and 1,200 watts. So no you can't run it off the Hasbro Toys inverter built-into the Ram.

Before I bought a generator I used my 2,400 watt inverter to run my appliances, coffee makers, that I'd installed in my F250 Powerstroke. The cable to the battery for large inverters is usually 00 gauge for long runs. The cabling can cost as much as the inverter. You need large gauge DC cabling to maintain voltage for such high current applications, along with a quality amp-rated fuse.

Use this calculator for cable size/run length:
https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
This page provides information on current draw for different inverter ratings:
https://www.altestore.com/howto/recommended-inverter-cables-sizing-and-breakers-or-fuses-a62/

Sideproject11

Reaction score
I have a BlueHawk air compressor from Lowes. Its 120v that pulls 2.0 amps. Does that mean its 240 watts? 120 x 2 = 240. If so can I run it using my 400 watt outlet in the RAM box? I am weary to try it. Afraid it will blow a fuse or the inverter or burn up wire. Thoughts? Is my math wrong?

speedracernc

Reaction score
I have a BlueHawk air compressor from Lowes. Its 120v that pulls 2.0 amps. Does that mean its 240 watts? 120 x 2 = 240. If so can I run it using my 400 watt outlet in the RAM box? I am weary to try it. Afraid it will blow a fuse or the inverter or burn up wire. Thoughts? Is my math wrong?
I ran a 3 gallon HF compressor with mine and it ran fine.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Try it...if you smell smoke...then we'll all know ;) Your math is correct. P=IV

Reaction score
An average coffee maker will draw between 1,000 and 1,200 watts. So no you can't run it off the Hasbro Toys inverter built-into the Ram.

Before I bought a generator I used my 2,400 watt inverter to run my appliances, coffee makers, that I'd installed in my F250 Powerstroke. The cable to the battery for large inverters is usually 00 gauge for long runs. The cabling can cost as much as the inverter. You need large gauge DC cabling to maintain voltage for such high current applications, along with a quality amp-rated fuse.

Use this calculator for cable size/run length:
https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
This page provides information on current draw for different inverter ratings:
https://www.altestore.com/howto/recommended-inverter-cables-sizing-and-breakers-or-fuses-a62/
To avoid overpaying for large gauge wiring I saw people using 20 to 30" Booster Cables from Amazon for inverters.

Users who are viewing this thread