5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power folding mirror broken

Nlg4021

Reaction score
I took mine in this morning for this on the passenger mirror. The dealer said they have to submit pictures to Ram first before they can even order the mirror. Did any of you guys have to deal with this? They said it can take up to a week.

kmck94

Reaction score
I took mine in this morning for this on the passenger mirror. The dealer said they have to submit pictures to Ram first before they can even order the mirror. Did any of you guys have to deal with this? They said it can take up to a week.
No, unless they are just not experienced they are pulling your leg.

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
I know that the previous models of this truck all used the same power fold units that GM used. These are notorious for having a small plastic gear in the drive unit that break. Rather than replace entire mirror, the fix is from GruvenParts and they just have you strengthen the drive unit by installing a metal gear and new motor.

If you manually fold these mirrors, or if you bump them, it puts a lot of stress on the plastic gear teeth. Those gear teeth chip or the gear breaks entirely. Once that happens, operation of the power fold cycle becomes intermittent. It can also lead to the mirror flopping around in the housing, since that plastic gear is crucial to mirror spring being compressed and holding the base in place securely.

There is MORE than you ever wanted to know in the DIY posted on their product page :

They have this listed in their GM trucks section, but actually this same drive unit is used in other vehicles as well, unfortunately, Ram being 1 of them. Not entirely sure if the 5th gen Rams used this same drive unit as previous models though.

But these problems you are discussing here are definitely related to the plastic gear within the unit chipping/breaking. I suppose if dealer will cover under warranty then you can go that route 1st, but be super careful and expect to be fixing this again soon, likely 1st time you bump it or manual fold it. Cold weather only makes that tiny plastic gear more brittle.

dramon772

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I haven’t heard anyone having any problems with the power folding mirrors but there always has to be the first truck.
Parked in a tight spot today so I decided to fold in the mirrors but the driver side mirror never decided to stop trying to fold in. You could hear gears grinding, the window being smacked and it eventually just gives up after a minute. Tried it a couple different times and it’s getting worse. I have an app with the dealer tomorrow.
This is now the 3rd trip to the dealer in 3 months for problems like these but I knew what I was getting into but was hoping Ram got this little stuff figured out.
Anyways figured I should start a thread on it knowing I won’t be the only one.
You are not alone, I've been dealing with the same problem since I drove my truck of the lot. Driver since mirror has been replaced twice and passenger side once. Both sides were replaced less than a month ago and the driver side just started acting up again today. Going back to the dealer tomorrow.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Mine just started this same problem. Both sides grinding and clicking. And banging the windows! Eeks.

rparth139

Reaction score
I am now waiting for my 3rd drivers side mirrow ro be replaced , 2 times on the passenger side. There is quite the wait for them so assuming it is a big / common problem

GeorgeT

Reaction score
I think the same thing is happening with mine. Has anyone else had an issue with the defroster on the affected mirror as well?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the same thing is happening with mine. Has anyone else had an issue with the defroster on the affected mirror as well?

Hi GeorgeT,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing! Please let us know via private message if you decide to address this with your dealer. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support while your truck is in service.

Mark
RamCares

John Branco

Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic. By chance, I sat in a brand new 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel with the power folding mirrors at Tri-County Jeep, Ram in Pottstown, Pa. over this weekend. I love Sunday-shopping. The vehicle was unlocked on the lot so I hoped in. I folded in the power folding mirrors and the driver side mirror would not stop folding in even after it was touching the glass. It eventually stopped but you could hear it continuing to turn the gears. I thought this was strange and a poor execution on design by RAM since my wife's power-folding mirrors on her 2017 Kia Sportage will stop just short of touching the side glass. when power-folded. Now I realize could be a larger issue at hand. Maybe even a TSB recall? Love the truck through. Hope to purchase one soon. I guess I should wait until RAM gets the bugs out.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine just started this same problem. Both sides grinding and clicking. And banging the windows! Eeks.

My drivers side mirror has started to make a noise. It works but their is a delay from when the motor turns on and the mirror starts to move and then it keeps running after the mirror reaches the correct position and then clicks. It's like something is off track with the gear.

airgas1998

Reaction score
noticed my passenger side hits the window when in the folded position. i don't understand why they couldn't develop the same as other mfgs where they stop like at 3/4 of the way in.

U

User_21361

noticed my passenger side hits the window when in the folded position. i don't understand why they couldn't develop the same as other mfgs where they stop like at 3/4 of the way in.
Glad I'm not the only one, both of my mirrors with the windows. I pulled them in with the windows down the other day and was amazed how far in they go. I don't think it's an issue overall, but I wouldn't try adjusting the windows with them folded in

tx2stpr291

Reaction score
This issue seems to be happening to a lot of people. I just called Ram Care and filed a complaint on this issue. My passenger mirror was doing this very thing. I tried to sync it back up according to the owner's manual, it caused the driver side mirror to start doing the exact same thing. I took it to the dealership. The service manager told me that these mirrors are NOT designed to be manually pushed in or out even though the owner's manual explicitly states to do so. They are replacing both mirrors. A STAR report was entered on this. My issue is not having to get them replaced, but more of HOW MANY TIMES will they need to be replaced? If manually pushing these mirrors in our out causes these to do this, it seems that the internal gearing is cheap and definitely not durable enough to be used. We spend entirely too much money on these trucks to have something as small as this be such a major annoyance. I am a Ram loyalist. However, I can tell you that if the dealership swaps out these mirrors in 5-7 days as they say they will, and either mirror does this again, I won't be getting these types of upgrades from Ram. Take the time and get the gearing fixed correctly. Put a more durable gear setup in these so they can hold up or quit selling the upgrade and stick to the basics.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know that the previous models of this truck all used the same power fold units that GM used. These are notorious for having a small plastic gear in the drive unit that break. Rather than replace entire mirror, the fix is from GruvenParts and they just have you strengthen the drive unit by installing a metal gear and new motor.

If you manually fold these mirrors, or if you bump them, it puts a lot of stress on the plastic gear teeth. Those gear teeth chip or the gear breaks entirely. Once that happens, operation of the power fold cycle becomes intermittent. It can also lead to the mirror flopping around in the housing, since that plastic gear is crucial to mirror spring being compressed and holding the base in place securely.

There is MORE than you ever wanted to know in the DIY posted on their product page :

They have this listed in their GM trucks section, but actually this same drive unit is used in other vehicles as well, unfortunately, Ram being 1 of them. Not entirely sure if the 5th gen Rams used this same drive unit as previous models though.

But these problems you are discussing here are definitely related to the plastic gear within the unit chipping/breaking. I suppose if dealer will cover under warranty then you can go that route 1st, but be super careful and expect to be fixing this again soon, likely 1st time you bump it or manual fold it. Cold weather only makes that tiny plastic gear more brittle.

Be careful in winter, the mirrors may not appear to be iced over but any water inside of the mechanism or hinge that freezes will keep the mirrors from freely opening and closing. This puts tremendous strain on the motor and gears kind of like turning on your wipers when they are frozen to the windshield.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be careful in winter, the mirrors may not appear to be iced over but any water inside of the mechanism or hinge that freezes will keep the mirrors from freely opening and closing. This puts tremendous strain on the motor and gears kind of like turning on your wipers when they are frozen to the windshield.
yeah, that's why i alway turn off auto tilt side mirrors during freezing day and not using power fold.

Kevin S

Reaction score
I have the passenger mirror problem as well, it is at the dealer today for the second time. The first time they replaced the drive kit . However I do not think they checked it with the engine running. My mirrors work fine with the ignition off. With the ignition on and truck running, and I hit the button to draw the mirrors in, the passenger mirror keeps trying to close for 10-15 seconds (Cannot be good for it!). Then when I open the mirror (out position), I have to manually open the passenger mirror. I do feel there is a bigger issue and more people have it, they just never fold their mirrors with the engine running, so they do not know.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the passenger mirror problem as well, it is at the dealer today for the second time. The first time they replaced the drive kit . However I do not think they checked it with the engine running. My mirrors work fine with the ignition off. With the ignition on and truck running, and I hit the button to draw the mirrors in, the passenger mirror keeps trying to close for 10-15 seconds (Cannot be good for it!). Then when I open the mirror (out position), I have to manually open the passenger mirror. I do feel there is a bigger issue and more people have it, they just never fold their mirrors with the engine running, so they do not know.
I fold mine in and out every time I park the truck—sometimes when running, but often when shut off. No problems in over a year so far, but this thread will keep me 'aware'.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I fold mine in and out every time I park the truck—sometimes when running, but often when shut off. No problems in over a year so far, but this thread will keep me 'aware'.
I do the same, no issue. Had my buddy push the passenger mirror out manually once, no problem and myself a few times. Not comfortable doing that despite the owners manual. Also I have concerns over snow, freezing rain possible binding. My 85 corolla (retired) and 90 celica (still on the road) have pop up headlights and I try to leave them in the up position depending on the weather. I live in NYC and retracting the mirrors is a must have habit along with parking it "remotely" in parking lots.

Kevin S

Reaction score

UPDATE: They are now replacing the whole mirror. Also they are replacing my 12" Nav Radio...….

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online