5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential First Time Ram Owner Debating on Trim Levels

U

User_112969

I've owned trucks for about 25 years including half tons Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan. I've also owned a mid-sided Frontier. I've never owned a Mopar product. Recently decided to look into getting a used 5th gen as I've heard so much about the nice ride and just want to try out the only major truck brand I've never owned. Looking to spend less than $50k and would prefer to skip 2019 models and look for a 2020-2022. I'm just prefer to skip the initial year of any model generation. Probably unnecessary but just personal preference.

I don't care so much about all of the fancy driving assist features and would probably be happy enough with a Bighorn if I could find one with leather. If they even offer it, I've not seen one. I've been focusing my search on 20-22 Laramie Sport package trucks with the 5.7L. I really prefer the styling of the body colored bumpers and accent wheels over the overly chromed out trucks. Although admittedly the chrome accents on the Limited look pretty classy in my opinion. I've told myself I'll wait for the right deal and the right truck. If the deal is right but the truck isn't then I'll pass. If the truck is right but the deal isn't I'll pass again.

Yesterday while searching online I found a dealer about an hour away from where I live that was offering a grey 2021 Laramie with the sport package, 36k miles, and the large 12" uConnect for about $45k. As I pulled into the dealer lot I saw the truck pulling out of the dealership ultimately on a test drive. Long story short, the person test driving the truck ended up buying it so I was probably 10 minutes late arriving at the dealer. Haha. Typical luck. The dealership had a few other certified used 1500's including a Delmonico Red 2019 Limited eTorque that had 38k miles and was priced around $47k. They suggested I take it for a test drive just to get a feel for how the Ram drives. I gotta tell you it was super nice, drove great, and basically a luxury vehicle in all regards. I've never owned a truck that well equiped. It has a huge sun roof as well. Ultimately a part of me wanted to get it but I think I was just largely infatuated. It was a 2019 which I stated earlier was a little concerning and the practical side of me worried about the frilly super-expensive fix features like the air ride suspension, the automated running boards, eTorque, and things like that. Also, despite how nice and classy the truck looked I'd still prefer the sport appearance of the Laramie. I don't really care for the larger wheels with the lower profile tires.

In my market $45k for that level Laramie is seams decent. I've seen cheaper ones but not really any with the sport package and the larger infotainment. As for the Limited, I really hadn't been researching that trim level due to my concern of how expensive the air suspensions are to fix.

I guess I'm just looking for any advise or input you can offer and let me know if those seem like reasonable deals or maybe tips on what else I should be looking for. Is eTorque something I should avoid?

Thanks for your help.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can get a 19 Limited, at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate. First of all, there was no major issues with 19's that I'm aware of. The problems that affected 19's, also affected 20's and 21's...(leaks at rear window, moaning brakes when reversing, radio glitches, etc). I have a 19 Limited, and one test drive blew me away, had to have it. The air ride is a fantastic. Not only does it give you the best ride on the planet, but it's extremely handy when you tow. Makes hooking a trailer super easy as you can lower it, back under coupler, then raise it. As far as the colored bumpers vs. chrome, here's my take. When I see my truck in the Home Depot parking lot....I see a hundred trucks that all look the same, with black wheels, no chrome anywhere....just, well,...all the same. Then I see my Limited, looking all classy, and high end with it's beautiful grill, and chrome accents. Not just another "me too" truck all murdered out...but a shining beacon of hope, in an otherwise dreadful...ok...I'm getting a little carried away......good luck with whatever you choose!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The closest you will get on a BigHorn for leather seats are the cloth/vinyl seats in the Built to Serve models. Pretty sure every other Bighorn only gets cloth seats.

As for features, I to would steer clear of air ride. I don't think the actual ride is any better, unless hauling a heavy load, and I've seen quite a few posts of issues with it. There is even an air ride delete kit available for 4th gen Rams.

Personally, when I bought my BTS. Other than the Built to Serve package, panoramic sunroof and the 12" display were really the only options I wanted. 3.92 gears was a bonus, but wasn't necessarily a deal breaker.

Definitely get what you want. I don't like chrome either. And glad my BTS had zero chrome on exterior, other than center caps on wheels and lug nuts. Which both were remedied. My BTS definitely stands out and doesn't look like every other truck out there

Wire4money

Reaction score
If you want a Bighorn with leather, Ram sells a Katzkin aftermarket for a reasonable price. There is also custom fit Clazzio leather seat covers available for 500 or so You can get a new Bighorn in your price range depending on the configuration you want. I paid less than 45k for my quad cab Hemi 4x4.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very happy with my Laramie, but if I didn't care much about payload, I'd be in a Limited.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also purchase a Bighorn with the standard cloth and buy BTS seat covers if you can find them on eBay, and replace the cloth with that. Did that to mine and it totally changed the interior of my truck. I’m with ya, I’m a “low end” Bighorn guy, never needed anything beyond that trim level. (I have a level 2 BH with LEDs, etc.) Good luck.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can also purchase a Bighorn with the standard cloth and buy BTS seat covers if you can find them on eBay, and replace the cloth with that. Did that to mine and it totally changed the interior of my truck. I’m with ya, I’m a “low end” Bighorn guy, never needed anything beyond that trim level. (I have a level 2 BH with LEDs, etc.) Good luck.
Did the same, 2019 Bighorn level 2, LED lights, brought the MSRP to $49,865 which was higher than the Laramie. I wanted cloth, bench which required the Bighorn trim level.

Stinger19

Reaction score
Don’t be afraid of a 2019 model, so far mine has been great! The air suspension is well worth the price as it rides better than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. Yeah there are some bells and whistles on my Limited that I don’t really care about and some things might be expensive to fix which is why I bought a Mopar extended warranty before my 3yr warranty ran out. The odometer just turned 21k miles and I plan on keeping this truck for a while.

U

User_112969

Really great replies here. I appreciate your feedback. Good to hear that the 2019 model isn’t necessarily more unreliable than the newer models. Seems like it’s 50/50 on the air ride. Many of you love it while others shy away. How about the eTorque? How’s the long term reliability been? It’s been out for 4 years now. Should be some pretty good data. I may be wrong but I thought I read it has a longer warranty than the rest of the truck. And it sounds like it’s good for about 1 mpg overall.

Green Streak

Reaction score
I haven’t had the first problem with eTorque and don’t even notice it now. 2020 Rebel with 30k miles on it. The start/stop bothers some people, but I don’t even notice it at red lights and stop signs now.

BowDown

Reaction score
Just turned 50k miles on my Limited, not a single issue other than the CHMSL leak which I fixed about a month in.

• Air ride, fine
  • Torque, fine
  • Running boards, fine
I've had zero issues and finances permitting, wouldn't hesitate to buy another Limited

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can get a 19 Limited, at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate. First of all, there was no major issues with 19's that I'm aware of. The problems that affected 19's, also affected 20's and 21's...(leaks at rear window, moaning brakes when reversing, radio glitches, etc). I have a 19 Limited, and one test drive blew me away, had to have it. The air ride is a fantastic. Not only does it give you the best ride on the planet, but it's extremely handy when you tow. Makes hooking a trailer super easy as you can lower it, back under coupler, then raise it. As far as the colored bumpers vs. chrome, here's my take. When I see my truck in the Home Depot parking lot....I see a hundred trucks that all look the same, with black wheels, no chrome anywhere....just, well,...all the same. Then I see my Limited, looking all classy, and high end with it's beautiful grill, and chrome accents. Not just another "me too" truck all murdered out...but a shining beacon of hope, in an otherwise dreadful...ok...I'm getting a little carried away......good luck with whatever you choose!
I feel personally attacked.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you get a 5th Gen with Adaptive Cruse Control and Lane Keep Assist, you can add
a Comma3 from Comma.ai to have the truck drive similar to a Tesla.

I have one on my '21 Laramie and it is driving 95% of the time even on my 30 Mile
Work Commute. Takes the strain of over the road driving so you can be relaxed when
you arrive. We have Steer to Zero working and are still developing the Long Control.
Then we will be working on End to End with Navigation.

Malodave

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is worried about the 2019 year model being a first year production model: my ’19 has been very reliable. I did have a couple of early mileage teething problems that were quickly fixed under warranty - they all happened within the first 10,000ish miles.
1) Master brake cylinder went out after a heavy braking effort at 1500 miles
2) Tranny valve body replaced when it got stuck in 3rd gear, at 3500 miles
3) Driver side mirror was loose, rattled around. Replaced at 8500 miles
4) Dreaded rear window leak, replaced at around 12,000 miles.

Truck is now at 35,500 miles and has been as reliable as a Swiss watch. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Edit: I did purchase the Mopar Max Care extended warranty up to 8 years/85000 miles/$200 deductible just as an insurance policy. Paid around $1375 from Ziegler back when I had around 23000 miles.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 with 20,000 miles. No issues so far with hauling trailers and boats cross states.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The closest you will get on a BigHorn for leather seats are the cloth/vinyl seats in the Built to Serve models. Pretty sure every other Bighorn only gets cloth seats.

As for features, I to would steer clear of air ride. I don't think the actual ride is any better, unless hauling a heavy load, and I've seen quite a few posts of issues with it. There is even an air ride delete kit available for 4th gen Rams.

Personally, when I bought my BTS. Other than the Built to Serve package, panoramic sunroof and the 12" display were really the only options I wanted. 3.92 gears was a bonus, but wasn't necessarily a deal breaker.

Definitely get what you want. I don't like chrome either. And glad my BTS had zero chrome on exterior, other than center caps on wheels and lug nuts. Which both were remedied. My BTS definitely stands out and doesn't look like every other truck out there
You're obviously on here way more than I am, but I do not recall a single person with issues with air ride on the 5th gens. I know the 4th gens did have a number of issues. I've had two 5th gens with air ride here in Alaska with zero issues.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a '20 with cloth and '22 with leather. I think I actually prefer the cloth in these trucks. The leather in my new truck is gorgeous, and the ventilated seats are nice. But they're hard to keep clean because of all the perforations, and they are firmer and less comfy. Bighorn Level II for the win! Find one of those!

Jako

Reaction score
I had a '20 with cloth and '22 with leather. I think I actually prefer the cloth in these trucks. The leather in my new truck is gorgeous, and the ventilated seats are nice. But they're hard to keep clean because of all the perforations, and they are firmer and less comfy. Bighorn Level II for the win! Find one of those!
I don't know one seat from the other but I'm very happy with my Bighorn level II, cloth, bench. Fits my 6'1" 240 lbs. very well and all my passengers have been comfortable also.

Users who are viewing this thread