5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your avg MPG on your Rebel

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For sure, those are also the things that make the Rebel awesome! It would be nice if Ram would post separate fuel economy numbers for the Rebel. I feel like that would save them a lot of customer angry comments.

Absolutely, wouldn't have it any other way :)

Yeah, RAM / Stellantis are kind of shady for just rubber stamping the EPA numbers with a regular street tired RAMs, but they are allowed to do that legally.

As I mentioned before, GM did lower the mpg numbers specifically for their Trail Boss trims by 2 mpg over regular Silverados due to their 32" Duratracs and higher ride height. RAM choose not to do something similar.

Paco

Reaction score
For sure, those are also the things that make the Rebel awesome! It would be nice if Ram would post separate fuel economy numbers for the Rebel. I feel like that would save them a lot of customer angry comments.
I bought the Rebel for the Eco. Only one I could find. For me fuel economy,and longevity are biggest reasons for buying. That being said,really like the look of the truck. With 90 % of my driving being highway changing out the tires to a smoother, safer and better tire made sense. Looking forward to getting my boat setup,once it warms up.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
After reading a lot of these posts the first thing I’d do with a Rebel is throw on 35s or 37s lol it already gets horrible mpg with the stock 33s, might as well make it look cool with bigger tires! I run 37” MTs and get the same mpg as most guys here - 13ish avg / 16hwy / 11 city

U

User_84945

8922c755f1da5b78779c66364ab6aeab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
From
- Central Valley (CA) to Vegas = 22 mpg
- Vegas to South Rim Grand Canyon = 21 mpg
- South Rim Grand Canyon to Vegas = 23 mpg
- Vegas to Central Valley = 25 mpg

This is per the mpg indicated in the vehicle, doing 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit, with a lot of down town Vegas driving, without resetting the the mpg indicator from start to finish of the trip, which is about 1400 miles & 3 fill up.

above is when the truck had barely 2k miles, Dec 2020.

now that i have almost 56k miles on the truck, on our recent road trip doing the painfully slow posted speed limit, on original duratracs with the recommended tire pressure.

- Central Valley to Vegas 25 mpg
- Vegas to Central Valley 26.2 mpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
above is when the truck had barely 2k miles, Dec 2020.

now that i have almost 56k miles on the truck, on our recent road trip doing the painfully slow posted speed limit, on original duratracs with the recommended tire pressure.

- Central Valley to Vegas 25 mpg
- Vegas to Central Valley 26.2 mpg

Of course the diesel guy has to come in bragging :)

Nice numbers!

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Of course the diesel guy has to come in bragging :)

Nice numbers!

:) there is a huge difference between gas & diesel mpg but the actual long term monetary savings on both is about the same. when u add the cost of diesel, DEF, the special oil & filter, & the additional manufacturer mark up for diesel engine. so right now, I'm actually at a negative value compared to an exact same rebel running a hemi.

i think the hemi sounds so much better & faster than the diesel. even the stock hemi. good thing I'm older now & prefer a quieter vehicle & drive slower.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
:) there is a huge difference between gas & diesel mpg but the actual long term monetary savings on both is about the same. when u add the cost of diesel, DEF, the special oil & filter, & the additional manufacturer mark up for diesel engine. so right now, I'm actually at a negative value compared to an exact same rebel running a hemi.

i think the hemi sounds so much better & faster than the diesel. even the stock hemi. good thing I'm older now & prefer a quieter vehicle & drive slower.

That makes sense. What mpg were you using to get the Hemi gas calculation? Because for me, I would be using 12.5 mpg.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
That makes sense. What mpg were you using to get the Hemi gas calculation? Because for me, I would be using 12.5 mpg.
i used the average of 12 mpg hemi & 23 mpg eco for my calculations. i came up with about 60k miles to break even the hemi.

that's with dealer oil change every 10k miles (not sale price), $1 per gallon difference in fuel cost, DEF & additional diesel engine charge from manufacturer. fuel cost difference is probably more in certain places, but here is about $1.

when i bought the Rebel in 2020, diesel here was cheaper or the same price as gasoline. not anymore!

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll leave an interesting observation of my Ram. I have a Tradesman with ORP, same as a Rebel heightwise. Non Rebel ORPs come with (apparently special OEM mpg softies) Falken Wildpeak AT3WAs in "C" load range. They tow very poorly, and are only 32" ;). BUT, they only weigh 49 lbs., so my mpg was hovering around 17.5. I've switched to Michelin Defender LTX, 33", 51 lbs., only available in "E" load range, much like the Rebels, and have dropped to 15mpg. :mad: The grill and fender flares probably don't make that much difference to mpg.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'll leave an interesting observation of my Ram. I have a Tradesman with ORP, same as a Rebel heightwise. Non Rebel ORPs come with (apparently special OEM mpg softies) Falken Wildpeak AT3WAs in "C" load range. They tow very poorly, and are only 32" ;). BUT, they only weigh 49 lbs., so my mpg was hovering around 17.5. I've switched to Michelin Defender LTX, 33", 51 lbs., only available in "E" load range, much like the Rebels, and have dropped to 15mpg. :mad: The grill and fender flares probably don't make that much difference to mpg.

Did you reprogram your speedometer?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but that's why your fuel mileage dropped too.
Maybe, but I was looking at the percentage of error of 2 mph at 75mph, vs the percentage drop of 17.5 to 15mpg. Those percentages do not appear to be similar. The point is the change from "C" range to "E" range tires, which I have seen on the last 3 trucks owned, and the difference the Rebels (and TRXs) see from other trim levels. Since I do a lot of off roading, I may look to go to 20" and "C" range tires as a compromise (same as my son's), because there just isn't a selection in 18".

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Maybe, but I was looking at the percentage of error of 2 mph at 75mph, vs the percentage drop of 17.5 to 15mpg. Those percentages do not appear to be similar. The point is the change from "C" range to "E" range tires, which I have seen on the last 3 trucks owned, and the difference the Rebels (and TRXs) see from other trim levels. Since I do a lot of off roading, I may look to go to 20" and "C" range tires as a compromise (same as my son's), because there just isn't a selection in 18".
The calibration won't recoup all of the 2.5 MPG. When did you get the new tires? The remaining amount might be due to colder weather/winter fuel.

The LTX's should have less rolling resistance. I'm not sure if "E" range tires have a negative effect on MPG's, other than the increased weight. I have noticed that I get about 1-1.5 MPG less with my "E" rated DuraTrac's even though they are the same diameter and weight as my "XL" rated Ridge Grapplers. I figure it's the more aggressive tread on the DuraTrac's.

spyder

Reaction score
I've been doing lots of highway driving lately, getting a pretty consistent hand calculated 16-17mpg in my all stock '21. Hauled a not-overly-heavy trailer several hundred miles at ~70mph and got 13.

Leolo

Reaction score
I know fuel economy threads are everywhere but I wanted to see how all our Rebels are stacking up against each other. These 3.92’s, no air dam, and all terrain tires REALLY seem to suck the fuel down!
I’m getting mid-13’s no matter how soft I am on the gas pedal.
2022 with 5,000 miles. The best I can do is 17.5mpg on the highway with a real soft touch doing about 70. Around town 15 to 16 mpg, again with a soft touch.

Users who are viewing this thread