5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your avg MPG on your Rebel

SBBW

Reaction score
Interesting. I figured 55-65 would be most fuel efficient. Thought you could get into 8th by those speeds with a 3.92 rear gear. Curious how my Rebel will do compared to my Z71 did. It was best 55-60 and really took a dive above 70
It probably is, but on the interstate, I’d get run over unless I’m pulling a trailer. I just crossed 1k miles so it’s still getting broken in.

spyder

Reaction score
I just got back from a 1600 mile round trip hunting trip, where about 100 miles of it was low speed 4x4 gravel and rock roads. Loaded heavy enough that the rear squatted a bit, but not super heavy, and highway speeds of between 65-78mph, and elevation changes from sea level to 6000 ft.

Hand calculated at 16.5mpg, with computer showing 17.7mpg. I'm not unhappy with those numbers on a 1 year old 18k mile stock 2021 Rebel.

Leolo

Reaction score
I know fuel economy threads are everywhere but I wanted to see how all our Rebels are stacking up against each other. These 3.92’s, no air dam, and all terrain tires REALLY seem to suck the fuel down!
I’m getting mid-13’s no matter how soft I am on the gas pedal
I've only had my 2022 Rebel for 2 weeks and only getting about 15mpg. I don't see how I'll ever get the window sticker 18/22mpg as I am babying the truck these first few hundred miles. I come from a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi, so I am used to not getting great mileage, but was actually expecting a slight improvement. This seems to be a little worse. My 2012 had the 32 gallon tank and I am already missing it.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
12.5 around town. 15 freeway.
After about year and half I average 13.5 mpg in the city and 16.5 mpg on the highway. I'm pretty sure I could get better if I slowed down to the 'prime fuel efficiency speed range' of about 60 mph, but highways speeds here in my part of Texas are routinely 75-85 and I know I'm losing mpg because of the higher speed. It's a straight shot to my destination and still going to take me 2.5+ hours at 85mph to get there its trading mpg for time. and time is more expensive than gas right now.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I don't see how I'll ever get the window sticker 18/22mpg
You won't. I get 15-16 winter, 16-17 summer. No city, no tow/haul, mixed highway and rural roads. Computer calculated, I'm too lazy to calculate it myself.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You won't. I get 15-16 winter, 16-17 summer. No city, no tow/haul, mixed highway and rural roads. Computer calculated, I'm too lazy to calculate it myself.

That's not bad for a Rebel honestly. I do a lot of city, so I'm in the 12-13 mpg. But adding a mix of highway only brings me up to 14 mpg. All highway maybe 15-17 mpg.

But you're right, he will never see that window mpg because it is based on a street tired 3.21 axle RAM used on the EPA test and rubber stamped for all trims, including Rebels which is ridiculous for RAM to do, shady but not illegal as the EPA allows them to do it. However, I will give GM credit for adjusting the Trail Boss EPA rating due to it's 32" Duratracs and higher axle ratio, they are definitely more honest than RAM here.

I knew what I was getting into when I saw those 33" tires on the Rebel, but there are many first time truck buyers who bought a Rebel thinking that MPG rating would be somewhat realistic, many were probably shocked to see what they got in real world driving.

Reactions: TSL

TSL

Reaction score
I knew what I was getting into when I saw those 33" tires on the Rebel, but there are many first time truck buyers who bought a Rebel thinking that MPG rating would be somewhat realistic, many were probably shocked to see what they got in real world driving.
I was almost that first time truck buyer. Was on the fence between a Laramie trim with Off Road package vs the Rebel and finally settled on the Rebel, the truck just appealed to me more. Then after placing my order I read more threads on here about real world MPG on the Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi and had a general "Dang, what have i just signed up for?" feeling ! This is before I even got the truck. Then it arrived with some damage at the dealer and I had the option of re-ordering, so I did, and I ordered exact same build but switched to the EcoDiesel.
So far I'm happy with my decision. I do lose the "fun" aspect of the Hemi ( I did test drive one and it was amazing ), but I do really enjoy the sound and feel of the diesel engine.
Here's my spreadsheet calculations of my MPG's so far with the truck ( I got it with a full tank from the dealer )
1670000836381.png
I'm getting killed with the cost of diesel of course. The average so far is 22.1mpg and $0.25 / mile.
Over the same period the average price of regular gas where I live is $4.93 ( I keep a similar spreadsheet for the wife's Toyota Highlander ).
Taking a middle-of-the-range estimate of 15mpg for the gas Rebel from the posts here in this thread, that comes out to $0.33/mile approx.
So I've saved ~ $0.08 / mile so far. Not earth-shattering but it'll add up. I'll eat up some of that in the more expensive oil changes for the diesel and a little bit in DEF which isn't that expensive really. Anyway, I feel a bit better in the short term looking at the MPG's :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was almost that first time truck buyer. Was on the fence between a Laramie trim with Off Road package vs the Rebel and finally settled on the Rebel, the truck just appealed to me more. Then after placing my order I read more threads on here about real world MPG on the Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi and had a general "Dang, what have i just signed up for?" feeling ! This is before I even got the truck. Then it arrived with some damage at the dealer and I had the option of re-ordering, so I did, and I ordered exact same build but switched to the EcoDiesel.
So far I'm happy with my decision. I do lose the "fun" aspect of the Hemi ( I did test drive one and it was amazing ), but I do really enjoy the sound and feel of the diesel engine.
Here's my spreadsheet calculations of my MPG's so far with the truck ( I got it with a full tank from the dealer )
View attachment 145107
I'm getting killed with the cost of diesel of course. The average so far is 22.1mpg and $0.25 / mile.
Over the same period the average price of regular gas where I live is $4.93 ( I keep a similar spreadsheet for the wife's Toyota Highlander ).
Taking a middle-of-the-range estimate of 15mpg for the gas Rebel from the posts here in this thread, that comes out to $0.33/mile approx.
So I've saved ~ $0.08 / mile so far. Not earth-shattering but it'll add up. I'll eat up some of that in the more expensive oil changes for the diesel and a little bit in DEF which isn't that expensive really. Anyway, I feel a bit better in the short term looking at the MPG's :)

Wow, that's impressive, makes me wonder if I should have gotten the diesel as well.

Luckily for me, my truck isn't a daily. Your mpg is what I get in my German coupe.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I've got a Rebel with the 5.7l and E-Torque. I get lower to mid 15's, all city driving (per the trucks computer) over the ridges and hills of East Tennessee. The front is leveled to within a 1/2" and it has 1.5" wheel spacers which i thought would kill the fuel economy. What has helped mine is a Pedal Commander set to "Economy +4". Another benefit of the Pedal Commander is no throttle hesitation!

IndianaRam

Reaction score
With all the work I've had done on my truck I can't complain about the mileage I'm getting. City: 13-15mpg & Hwy: 17-19mpg. I've got 70,000 miles on truck, 7,000 on new motor. It all depends on how you drive your truck. Only problem I have, I have to run premium fuel.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've gotten over 20 on some parts of highway out to Mammoth Lakes. But it is abismal around town. So, my average is about 12.3. I have a 3 inch lift and I'm on 35's mind you. That said, you don't buy a 400 hp off road beast, trick it out and then whine like ***** about the mileage. I have acheived my financial goals in life and I'm never going to settle for less ever again. I did that when I was young so that I wouldn't have to now. If my wife wants a 2k stainless fridge, she gets it. If I want a 5.7 Hemi with suspension and wheels, I GET IT. Mileage smileage. How do you spell

bleh-tongue-out.gif

Last edited:

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I've gotten over 20 on some parts of highway out to Mammoth Lakes. But it is abismal around town. So, my average is about 12.3. I have a 3 inch lift and I'm on 35's mind you. That said, you don't buy a 400 hp off road beast, trick it out and then whine like ***** about the mileage. I have acheived my financial goals in life and I'm never going to settle for less ever again. I did that when I was young so that I wouldn't have to now. If my wife wants a 2k stainless fridge, she gets it. If I want a 5.7 Hemi with suspension and wheels, I GET IT. Mileage smileage. How do you spell View attachment 145185
HAHA, I'll drink to that!

AlaskaGT

Reaction score
damn i get just over 11mpgs computer calculated. that said my commute is all city streets with stop lights

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
2021 Rebel, 3.92s, 5.7 etorque. Using 87 octane, if I baby it around town I can get 16.5.

On the Interstate its as follows:

65 MPH - 18 MPG
70 MPH - 16 MPG
75 MPG - 15 MPG
80 MPH - 13 MPG

I've got around 16,000 miles on it, and there's been no change in mileage after any sort of "break in" period.

Paco

Reaction score
My average is still above 22MPH.
I have a eco diesel, and have put 21,000 KMs on it.
3:92 gears.

I did remove the Duratrack tires when I bought it, and installed Continental HT 10 ply tires, which I believe is helping.

My current tank of gas average is 9.6 Kms per liter which is 25MPG, and this is all highway, winter driving with a average speed of 111Kms hour or 68MPH.
I do use Optilube every 3 tanks, helps with cold starts.(17 below today).

Rebel2022

Reaction score
25000km in
Best ever trip 18.81 us mpg hand calculated. No wind, highway 125km/h 78-80mph. Had several trips like this, there can be no wind, must be warm outside but not too warm, no extra weight. Could provably achieve 20mpg if slowed to 100-110kmh but don’t have that kind of patience.
Average highway 16-17mpg
Average city 12-13mpg
Winter mpg- forget about it, way to nasty. Will share my worst tank though, 9.8mpg. Some warming up, auto 4wd, city, short trips.
I have observed no noticeable difference in MPG from brand new to now and have fuelly logs for the whole time. Do I care, nope its a truck

Paco

Reaction score
I find tires make a huge difference.
Going from Off road Duratrack to Continental HT terrain contact lowers rolling resistance a ton.
They are still beefy enough with decent sidewall and rim protectors to get me through most situations.
The added traction and fuel economy is worth a bit off loss in off road capacity.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
By far the biggest reason for the Rebels low fuel economy is the tires. They are 33" with an aggressive all-terrain/mud terrain hybrid pattern. You change them to street all-season, you loose the looks but you will gain a substantial improvement in mpg.

The 3.92 rear axle, no active aero cooling, and the very slightly higher ride height also effects the mpg, but to a lesser extent than the tires.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
By far the biggest reason for the Rebels low fuel economy is the tires. They are 33" with an aggressive all-terrain/mud terrain hybrid pattern. You change them to street all-season, you loose the looks but you will gain a substantial improvement in mpg.

The 3.92 rear axle, no active aero cooling, and the very slightly higher ride height also effects the mpg, but to a lesser extent than the tires.
For sure, those are also the things that make the Rebel awesome! It would be nice if Ram would post separate fuel economy numbers for the Rebel. I feel like that would save them a lot of customer angry comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online