5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your avg MPG on your Rebel

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
Brand new 2020 EcoDiesel. Stock crew cab, no bed covering. 33 gallon tank.

400 miles of mixed driving - approx 170 of highway, 130 longer drives on rural country roads and the balance in short distance suburban mileage.

Truck computer is currently showing 22.7 mpg, down from 23 with no highway driving in the last 5 days. The short distance stuff definitely kills the mileage, and it seems like things start to drop off at highway speeds over 70/75 mph.

DEF tank was only 1/2 filled from the dealer.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
I am at 16.5 right now and 2450 some odd miles. Mostly highway with about 450 lbs of tools in a box in the bed. Also two about once a week around 6000 lbs. No MDS, I turn it off every time I get in the truck.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
That's almost EPA mileage out of a Rebel. Impressive. THanks for sharing

Brand new 2020 EcoDiesel. Stock crew cab, no bed covering. 33 gallon tank.

400 miles of mixed driving - approx 170 of highway, 130 longer drives on rural country roads and the balance in short distance suburban mileage.

Truck computer is currently showing 22.7 mpg, down from 23 with no highway driving in the last 5 days. The short distance stuff definitely kills the mileage, and it seems like things start to drop off at highway speeds over 70/75 mph.

DEF tank was only 1/2 filled from the dealer.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
From
- Central Valley (CA) to Vegas = 22 mpg
- Vegas to South Rim Grand Canyon = 21 mpg
- South Rim Grand Canyon to Vegas = 23 mpg
- Vegas to Central Valley = 25 mpg

This is per the mpg indicated in the vehicle, doing 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit, with a lot of down town Vegas driving, without resetting the the mpg indicator from start to finish of the trip, which is about 1400 miles & 3 fill up.

Last edited:

Burnzie

Reaction score
2020 Rebel ETorque here, lucky if its 14-15 mpg and that's highway driving, only 3500 miles on truck so I hope it gets better with break-in.

arptsprt

Reaction score
Bought my truck Oct 23. Currently 1,150 miles on the Odometer. 5.7L. I’ve filled the tank three times since the full tank at the dealership.

About 15.2 mpg average.

Mixed driving with a couple longer road trips with speeds at 80 on the interstate. Most recent fill up was Friday. My calculated math was 14 mpg for the tank (truck computer said 14.5 mpg). Not surprising as most of my recent driving has been local. My work commute is 2 miles one way and it has been cold - lows in the low teens and highs in the mid-20’s.

My Ford Ecoboost did only slightly better with the short drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
2020 Rebel ETorque here, lucky if its 14-15 mpg and that's highway driving, only 3500 miles on truck so I hope it gets better with break-in.
It won't be materially better, no.

What I've noticed is that if you go above 70mph (depending on conditions, of course), mpg on these things tanks.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It won't be materially better, no.

What I've noticed is that if you go above 70mph (depending on conditions, of course), mpg on these things tanks.
I personally noted improved mileage at about 10K miles that I can't attribute to anything else. Nothing crazy, but around 1 mpg on average and seeing 20 mpg on some trips.

Your second point is dead right. My guess is around 2000 RPM the engine becomes extra thirsty, which is about 73 MPH on my truck. It's a pretty stark difference in my observations above and below ~2000 RPM engine speed.

Letting the truck idle for long periods just plain destroys your Average Economy... same with heavy stop and go traffic.

coolidge

Reaction score
400 miles on a 2021, 12.8 mpg that's up from 12.4 since purchased a couple weeks ago.

Kwade88

Reaction score
2020 rebel... no e-torque....3.92 rear
13.4 mpg... best it has ever done is 14.2

coolidge

Reaction score
I hit 16.1 mpg on a 50 mile trip this morning, all highway 60-70 mph with some rolling hills. I was happy with that. V8 non-etorque. My lifetime since new is creeping up also, 14 mpg up from 12.8 mixed driving over 600 miles.

arptsprt

Reaction score
New record for me. Recent 292 mile round trip to the big city. Prairie and some mountain hills. 95 miles on the interstate at 80 mph the balance at mix 60/72 mph highway. Combined 16.4 mpg round trip. That’s according to the trip computer. Finding it’s a little generous by 3-4 mph. Still likely above 16 for the trip.

Non-Ethanol 88/89 octane. Temps driving over in the morning were as cold as -6 F on the prairie.

My former 2012 F-150 Ecoboost made the same trip I don’t know how many times and would average about 17.5 mpg r/t.

I’d like to think my efforts to break the engine in right are helping. Currently 1475 miles on the odometer. A little late but had the first oil change at 1330 while in the city - I usually do 1000 miles on a new engine. Done at dealership with conventional Pennzoil 5w-20. At 5000 plan to go to Pennzoil synthetic for the rest of its life.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 rebel... no e-torque....3.92 rear
13.4 mpg... best it has ever done is 14.2

You want to be impressed? Go late at night or early morning, when no one is on the road to **** off. Then try driving on the street and city, but accelerate slowly until you reach the speed limit.

I'm like you, my average mpg is about 13 mixed. But, if you drive very very gently with the Rebel, you can get surprising mpg. On city streets, I've seen 16 mpg, and 19.5mpg highway essentially hypermiling it. However, in the real world, once you give it any moderate throttle, the mpg drops like a rock. But if you can accelerate slowly and gently, you can get surprisingly good mpg. Too bad it's not in a realistic or practical way.

I wish I could just set my cruise control to 65 mph on the freeway and cruise in the slow lane, I would get pretty good mpg, but I avoid the first two slower lanes to avoid rock chips thrown up by work trucks and the like. So it forces me to drive at 75 mph just to keep with traffic in the faster lanes, which zaps mpg.

arptsprt

Reaction score
I find it amusing I’m excited about 16 mpg...

You want to be impressed? Go late at night or early morning, when no one is on the road to **** off. Then try driving on the street and city, but accelerate slowly until you reach the speed limit.

I'm like you, my average mpg is about 13 mixed. But, if you drive very very gently with the Rebel, you can get surprising mpg. On city streets, I've seen 16 mpg, and 19.5mpg highway essentially hypermiling it. However, in the real world, once you give it any moderate throttle, the mpg drops like a rock. But if you can accelerate slowly and gently, you can get surprisingly good mpg. Too bad it's not in a realistic or practical way.

I wish I could just set my cruise control to 65 mph on the freeway and cruise in the slow lane, I would get pretty good mpg, but I avoid the first two slower lanes to avoid rock chips thrown up by work trucks and the like. So it forces me to drive at 75 mph just to keep with traffic in the faster lanes, which zaps mpg.

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
I kill about 9 large dinosaurs while towing and 12-14 dump trucks of coal in the city; with a very lite foot, auto stop enabled and the e-torque system....

gas saving feature my @55.....

Users who are viewing this thread