5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your avg MPG on your Rebel

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Ugh....I just simply cannot accept that in 2020 a truck is getting the same mileage they did 25 years ago.....a quarter century and no advances in fuel economy?? My giant Escalade ESV with a monster 6.2L gets 20-21 highway all the time! Yesterday I was driving 70 mph with no wind and was getting 12.5......this is horrid

I’m furious the 6.2L AT4 has such a bland interior because man I wanted that truck so bad

And the 6.2L V8 upgrade cost over the 5.3L V8 is the same as the 3.0L Duramax Diesel ($2495 MSRP), you could opt for the Duramax and get 24 combined MPG on the AT4. I'm still debating that choice myself between Ram and Sierra (yes I know the Ram has the better interior).

U

User_21361

I know the window sticker on the Rebels is pretty misleading, but I think it's important to manage expectation. These trucks are heavy, have a large, powerful V8, off-road tires, 3.92s. High teens for MPG just isn't a realistic exception. There are SO many variables when it comes to MPG.

The sticker murdered me. I was very surprised and frustrated initially because I thought I was getting a "more efficient" truck. It was one of the big reasons I didn't look at a Raptor. Now, once I turned off all of the MPG notices, my "smiles per mile" increased drastically. I get between 14-15 on my daily commute. I love my truck, but hate that FCA can post it incorrectly on the sticker. The next truck will definitely be an electric which will make most of this go away for me.

Ch1lydeuce

Reaction score
26 mpg

Attachments

• 5904BF28-467B-4D02-92E6-B2050550C0D7.jpeg
    5904BF28-467B-4D02-92E6-B2050550C0D7.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 78

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know fuel economy threads are everywhere but I wanted to see how all our Rebels are stacking up against each other. These 3.92’s, no air dam, and all terrain tires REALLY seem to suck the fuel down!
I’m getting mid-13’s no matter how soft I am on the gas pedal.

Take her out late at night, when no one is on the road to anger. Reset your mpg, then accelerate slowly, very light on the throttle, but keep at the speed limit. You will be amazed how good your mpg can be. I average 13 mixed driving, but I can get 17 mpg on city streets and 21 highway if I accelerate slowly and stay at the speed limit.

In the real world however, you want to accelerate faster and enjoy the motor and not anger the driver behind you for speeding up to slowly.

This is the price you paid for 3.92 rear axle and 33" tires. The potential is there, 3.21 with 18" tired trucks can easily hit the EPA rating on the sticker, mainly because it based on those trucks and FCA decided to blanket sticker that EPA rating regardless of trim.

I respect GM for adjusting the EPA rating on the Trail Boss equipped Silverados. They knew the 32" tires and higher axle ration on those trucks would not match up with the rest of the Silverado line and adjusted the EPA rating accordingly.

As for the Silverado, which you mentioned the 6.2L Trail Boss and 10-speed earlier, they will be getting the upgraded interior from the Tahoe next year, after that, they will have fixed their major weakness. Though I personally am a Ford guy who currently has a RAM, as such I will never buy a Silverado :)

Last edited:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Take her out late at night, when no one is on the road to anger. Reset your mpg, then accelerate slowly, very light on the throttle, but keep at the speed limit. You will be amazed how good your mpg can be. I average 13 mixed driving, but I can get 17 mpg on city streets and 21 highway if I accelerate slowly and stay at the speed limit.

In the real world however, you want to accelerate faster and enjoy the motor and not anger the driver behind you for speeding up to slowly.

This is the price you paid for 3.92 rear axle and 33" tires. The potential is there, 3.21 with 18" tired trucks can easily hit the EPA rating on the sticker, mainly because it based on those trucks and FCA decided to blanket sticker that EPA rating regardless of trim.

I respect GM for adjusting the EPA rating on the Trail Boss equipped Silverados. They knew the 32" tires and higher axle ration on those trucks would not match up with the rest of the Silverado line and adjusted the EPA rating accordingly.

As for the Silverado, which you mentioned the 6.2L Trail Boss and 10-speed earlier, they will be getting the upgraded interior from the Tahoe next year, after that, they will have fixed their major weakness. Though I personally am a Ford guy who currently has a RAM, as such I will never buy a Silverado :)

I'm not impressed by the interior "upgrade" if they follow the 2021 Tahoe..it's marginally better but still nowhere near as nice as the Ram. Now if they followed the 2021 Escalade then they'd have a winner from an interior stand-point. The new 2021 F-150 interior is MUCH nice than the current Silverado/Sierra and the 2021 Tahoe.

Downytide

Reaction score
And the 6.2L V8 upgrade cost over the 5.3L V8 is the same as the 3.0L Duramax Diesel ($2495 MSRP), you could opt for the Duramax and get 24 combined MPG on the AT4. I'm still debating that choice myself between Ram and Sierra (yes I know the Ram has the better interior).

I've seen/drive a lot of GMs due to work, here's what I personally believe, GM got the engine combination down, the 6.2 is properly fast, the 3.0L Duramax is silky smooth.

The problems they have can be quite a few, GM still doing this wax thing for their frames, if you live in Rust belt, they rust, the frame has surface rust very quickly, and often lot worse than Ram, also the NVHL is not as good, the AT4/TrailBoss has same tires as Rebel (just smaller), and they are often lot noisier inside, the ride quality is also not as good as the Ram.

5GEcoD

Reaction score
I ran 400 miles this weekend 70% highway and ended with 26.3 MPG. I get 21.5 MPG in and around town.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Running a level with 35s and still get right around 14mpg with mixed driving. The DiabloSport tuner did bring back almost a full MPG.

antwon412

Reaction score
With 1400 on the odo, getting about 16mpg mixed.

Myke

Reaction score
A Rebel stock truck one month old checking the mpg @ 1000 miles. Have been turning off the engine idle/start system so I can get off the line better at stop signs. Hate that small time lag in engine restart response. Not overly light on the gas, nor an engine revIng driver with only the V6 under the hood. Last tank measured over 350 miles gave me 17.7 mpg. (Odometer / gals) Maybe 1/3 highway miles in that tank. I can live with that, since I feel that I am still breaking in this truck. My last truck was much worse. It can be relative to what you are accustomed to, I guess.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I’m getting 20 mpg since I’ve been driving. Wet easy on the throttle and driving into work 30 miles down hill (one way). When I was scooting around town not paying attention I was getting 13-14 mpg.

Myke

Reaction score
Last tank, (Truck now at 1,700 miles), was 19.9 mpg, measured manually. Mostly highway on this tank. Running 87 octane fuel with 10% ethanol. 6 cyl w/ eTorque. Been leaving the stop / start button off; not noticing much lag on take off. Love this truck, so far.

Last edited:

orange01z28

Reaction score
40k miles on the V6, still stock suspension and tires

I live in a spread out area and get 20.0-20.5 average
When I lived in a congested area I got 18.5 average
Long freeway trips where I go around 80mph I get 15mpg, at 65 I get 23mpg

I'm a Quad Cab too so it is much lighter

Memphsi87

Reaction score
I average 16.7 over 8000miles. But I know the computer is wrong because every time I hand calc, the number is off by atleast 1mpg from the trip computer

Extole

Reaction score
pretty sure I have a sleeper TRX that the dealer didn't tell me about because I am getting 12 mpg combined.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Absolutely.

Interesting that the trailboss tires are 32s, I didn't know that! 32 is plenty large though, we're living in a great time where the makers are doing their best to give us what we want, these 32, 33, and in some cases 35in tires from the factory? Awesome.

And the makers are offering REAL allterrain and mud-terrain tires too. Not just a modified highway tire best left for the malls.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Interesting that the trailboss tires are 32s, I didn't know that! 32 is plenty large though, we're living in a great time where the makers are doing their best to give us what we want, these 32, 33, and in some cases 35in tires from the factory? Awesome.

And the makers are offering REAL allterrain and mud-terrain tires too. Not just a modified highway tire best left for the malls.

Yup, I thought they were 33" as well on the Trail Boss, but 32" makes sense to eek out that bit of extra mpg, probably 1 mpg at least by doing that. Also I think they have a choice of axle ratios. But the Trail Boss is a trim package, not a more involved model like the Rebel is. It does give the advantage of being able to add the Trail Boss package to various trims, from base, LT, and various other models. You see so many more of them because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread