5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POOR MAN’S REBEL: 2019 TRADESMAN BUILD PROJECT

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So we talked about the front bumper, where are you at with the skid plates? If you’re buying oem(or even another brand) will there be any type of modifications like drilling, or adding brackets, to make it fit?

This weekend, I think I’m going to try and pick up some cans of rustproofing, so I can coat some of the underside of the truck.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

spenceroc73

Reaction score
So we talked about the front bumper, where are you at with the skid plates? If you’re buying oem(or even another brand) will there be any type of modifications like drilling, or adding brackets, to make it fit?

This weekend, I think I’m going to try and pick up some cans of rustproofing, so I can coat some of the underside of the truck.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well right now I have a few priorities that are ahead of skid plates; first on my list is a set of hub centric rings because I’ve started noticing a little bit of wheel vibration when I get past 60mph, and after that a speedometer recalibrator because my transmission is confused and isn’t running at the right gear/rpm with the bigger tires. Next will be fender flares, mud guards, and wheel well liners in preparation for the long winter ahead. Then probably a rear bumper to eliminate that ugly dent.

Skid plates will probably be next in line after those things. I don’t want to get into wheeling until next summer rolls around anyways so I’m not too concerned. When I do get skid plates, I plan on getting the full set of OEM which includes one each for the front suspension, transfer case, and fuel tank. To the best of my knowledge these are made to be directly bolt-on and don’t require modification like cutting or drilling, but I could be wrong. Further off I also plan on purchasing a front bumper with an angled skid plate that will protect the engine and the front differential.

Ethanww94

Reaction score
I am very interested in the e locker and regearing. I currently have a 19 Laramie with 3.21 and the LSD I would like to have 3.92 and a locker.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been poking around with front bumper ideas, have anyone seen one of these?

This is a 2020 ram rebel OTG version from 2019 Selma. looks like a steel rebel bumper but with a winch and led lights. I’m in love with this.

93bd3108914624ab52694f2bbf6cad4b.jpg

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Well right now I have a few priorities that are ahead of skid plates; first on my list is a set of hub centric rings because I’ve started noticing a little bit of wheel vibration when I get past 60mph, and after that a speedometer recalibrator because my transmission is confused and isn’t running at the right gear/rpm with the bigger tires. Next will be fender flares, mud guards, and wheel well liners in preparation for the long winter ahead. Then probably a rear bumper to eliminate that ugly dent.

Skid plates will probably be next in line after those things. I don’t want to get into wheeling until next summer rolls around anyways so I’m not too concerned. When I do get skid plates, I plan on getting the full set of OEM which includes one each for the front suspension, transfer case, and fuel tank. To the best of my knowledge these are made to be directly bolt-on and don’t require modification like cutting or drilling, but I could be wrong. Further off I also plan on purchasing a front bumper with an angled skid plate that will protect the engine and the front differential.
So I started with the Rebel instead of barebones like you, and stumbled across this thread searching for Rear Diff Guard. Now that I've read your whole thread:
  1. Have you found a rear diff guard? :)
  2. Randy Ellis in Phoenix has another REALLY good option for rock sliders, if you haven't purchased the WKs yet. They, interestingly, aren't frame mount, but the weight distribution would make them just as strong with no possibility of flexing the frame using the slider leverage. You need a riveter to install, though. That's the only downside. Take a look at the link: https://www.randyellisdesign.com/st...ew_Cab_Rock_Sliders_Body_Armor_#Rock1500.html
  3. The MOPAR skid plate set is incomplete front to back, which is silly. Check out the OTHER skid plate you'll need to cover the tranny and engine is this one: https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/engine-transmission-skid-plate-ram-1500/
Keep on posting your mods!!

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
welll i have the matrix bumper and from what im looking at i think im gonna just add a skid plate and make it work by drilling holes threw it and locking it with nuts from the inside of it .... then i will put my winch on 😂

technically this bumper doesnt fit the rebel but i got it to work

Attachments

• FCA58316-4B53-46A5-B093-EBDB21D35D59.jpeg
    FCA58316-4B53-46A5-B093-EBDB21D35D59.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 121

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So in about a couple of months I’m trading in my 2020 ram Laramie, for a 2022 Ram back country. I hope the black out bumper is at least something Steel. Finding a front bumper that has curves that can also hold a winch is tough.

If the Ram OTG model bumper was available in the after market field, I would snatch that bumper in a heart beat.

I just want a front bumper that looks almost stock, that I can put shackles and a winch on it.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been poking around with front bumper ideas, have anyone seen one of these?

This is a 2020 ram rebel OTG version from 2019 Selma. looks like a steel rebel bumper but with a winch and led lights. I’m in love with this.

93bd3108914624ab52694f2bbf6cad4b.jpg

It is a nice looking bumper for sure!

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
So in about a couple of months I’m trading in my 2020 ram Laramie, for a 2022 Ram back country. I hope the black out bumper is at least something Steel. Finding a front bumper that has curves that can also hold a winch is tough.

If the Ram OTG model bumper was available in the after market field, I would snatch that bumper in a heart beat.

I just want a front bumper that looks almost stock, that I can put shackles and a winch on it.

Use the stock bumper and drop a Hidden Winch from Vice Designs behind it. Then you can use the Mopar Tow Hooks for recovery. I recommend soft shackles, but whatever floats your boat.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use the stock bumper and drop a Hidden Winch from Vice Designs behind it. Then you can use the Mopar Tow Hooks for recovery. I recommend soft shackles, but whatever floats your boat.
Oh damn...didn't know this was a option. I like it. Only problem I see is that I did buy the rough County hidden light bar.

I could get a bull bar, and mount it on that...then the winch hiding behind that...interesting.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Oh damn...didn't know this was a option. I like it. Only problem I see is that I did buy the rough County hidden light bar.

I could get a bull bar, and mount it on that...then the winch hiding behind that...interesting.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
The install was a fun project. Plan on longer than you think. :) I believe they said "2-3 hours install time" and I experienced more like "2-3 days install time." I think if I did it again, I could do it in 3-4 hours knowing what I was doing, but I kept getting caught up on stuff like, "Seriously, that just comes off of there without ruining my truck?" Yeah, it does. Also, I asked myself more than once: "How the **** did they get a torque wrench on that bolt?!?" I never got resolve on that. I just did my best. Just double-check all the bolts are tightened twice in each step, cuz you don't wanna have to back up a step once you mount that thing. Also, wire the winch before you attach the mount. Not to the battery, but get the leads on the winch when you can see it.

I've used it only to tighten the line on the spool, and it works great, I guess. More importantly, it looks badass.

PXL_20210111_225822893.jpg

Reaction score
Love the build so far.

I have a 2021 Tradesman I am doing something similar.
I have a 4x4 but open carriers. I am really interested in what you do for gearing and lockers. I have not had much luck finding anything.
If you find something please let us know.

I'm not new to trucks but come from the Ford world, where you can get anything in the 8.8 axle dept.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The install was a fun project. Plan on longer than you think. :) I believe they said "2-3 hours install time" and I experienced more like "2-3 days install time." I think if I did it again, I could do it in 3-4 hours knowing what I was doing, but I kept getting caught up on stuff like, "Seriously, that just comes off of there without ruining my truck?" Yeah, it does. Also, I asked myself more than once: "How the **** did they get a torque wrench on that bolt?!?" I never got resolve on that. I just did my best. Just double-check all the bolts are tightened twice in each step, cuz you don't wanna have to back up a step once you mount that thing. Also, wire the winch before you attach the mount. Not to the battery, but get the leads on the winch when you can see it.

I've used it only to tighten the line on the spool, and it works great, I guess. More importantly, it looks badass.

View attachment 97623
Looks great. I currently have a laramie, but im trading it in when my new 2022 ram bighorn back country package arrives in a month or so.

As much as I like the luxury of the laramie, I want something more offroad worthy. Not going crazy offroad here, but I just want to be capable...lol.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Want to revive this thread a little. For those that don't have LED headlights, and have the halogen.

Did you switch to a replacement led bulb or just swap about the headlights for led ones?

Since I traded in my 2020 laramie, I can now work on getting the parts I need for my 2022 big horn back country package.

I ordered my rear wheel liner (dont know why that is not a default option, but I saved money by ordering rough country ones)

I also have my rough country 20" led light bar that will go behind the front bumper...so I want to make sure that I have the proper lighting so if I wanted to go offroad at night, I'm set.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

LS1

Reaction score
I have a brand new set of Headlight Revolution S-V.4 LED headlight bulbs for sale! PM me if interested

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checking in...regards to the fender flares. How does it look? Now that my laramie has been traded in...im collecting parts for my big horn, and I'm looking for fender flares for protection. Would love to get OEM ones...black if possible. I'm not a fan of the fender flares that stick out really far, and has holes at the top. I love my nice smooth lines.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Want to revive this thread a little. For those that don't have LED headlights, and have the halogen.

Did you switch to a replacement led bulb or just swap about the headlights for led ones?

Since I traded in my 2020 laramie, I can now work on getting the parts I need for my 2022 big horn back country package.

I ordered my rear wheel liner (dont know why that is not a default option, but I saved money by ordering rough country ones)

I also have my rough country 20" led light bar that will go behind the front bumper...so I want to make sure that I have the proper lighting so if I wanted to go offroad at night, I'm set.

Did you not order your back country with the premium lighting package?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you not order your back country with the premium lighting package?
I did, but not with the premium lighting package.

Couldn't afford everything I wanted, so I had to pick. I decided to get addons that would be hard to get aftermarket or do yourself ( like rambox and pano roof) compared to something I can buy later.

Granted, I know aftermarket i would pay more, but its not like I can go aftermarket for a rambox.

Users who are viewing this thread