5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i just got a 20 bighorn crewcab, 3.92, was getting 14.5 with stock tires, put on 33s and still getting 14.5. im in florida, not sure if we use winter blend. i have a flashpaq tuner set to fuel saver and a pedal commander set on eco and still get 14.5. also i put on an rc cold air intake and mbrp hi flow muffler (sounds fantastic) the first half of the tank will see 15.5-16 but the second half it falls off. i can hear the mds kick on and see live mpg go from 20s to 30s but at the end of the tank im right around 350 miles. truck has 95k miles, gonna pop off some plugs and see what kind of shape their in, maybe borescope the valves make sure its all clean in there too. i had a 16 ecoboost that was lifted and got 16-17 easy with lots of city and little highway.
Shoulda kep it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i just got a 20 bighorn crewcab, 3.92, was getting 14.5 with stock tires, put on 33s and still getting 14.5. im in florida, not sure if we use winter blend. i have a flashpaq tuner set to fuel saver and a pedal commander set on eco and still get 14.5. also i put on an rc cold air intake and mbrp hi flow muffler (sounds fantastic) the first half of the tank will see 15.5-16 but the second half it falls off. i can hear the mds kick on and see live mpg go from 20s to 30s but at the end of the tank im right around 350 miles. truck has 95k miles, gonna pop off some plugs and see what kind of shape their in, maybe borescope the valves make sure its all clean in there too. i had a 16 ecoboost that was lifted and got 16-17 easy with lots of city and little highway.
It’s normal to see 30mpg around 45mph when mds engages. a CAI and mbrp won’t do much of anything to help fuel mileage.

Really no need to check plugs or valves.

Bwilli9526

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I have a 2019 ( new to me ) Ram 1500 limited only missing a few bells and whistles. I am noticing horrible fuel economy compared to my 2015 Ram 1500 big horn. I do have an after market exhaust on that truck and an after market COI on it as well I did notice not only HP gains but fuel economy as well. It would take me a couple of days after filling up to drop below a full tank of gas and in the new limited it dropped below after only one day of driving to and from work. I only live at most 20 mins from my job and I take the highway to get there. I put non ethanol 89 in my truck. I do not have the ETorq on mine. I’m wondering if the weight of the air ride suspension system is playing a factor in the poor fuel economy or if it is due to the “cap less” fuel system it has is letting the gas escape faster. I do not know what is causing it but I am disappointed/disgusted that my 2015 was getting way better fuel efficiency

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ( new to me ) Ram 1500 limited only missing a few bells and whistles. I am noticing horrible fuel economy compared to my 2015 Ram 1500 big horn. I do have an after market exhaust on that truck and an after market COI on it as well I did notice not only HP gains but fuel economy as well. It would take me a couple of days after filling up to drop below a full tank of gas and in the new limited it dropped below after only one day of driving to and from work. I only live at most 20 mins from my job and I take the highway to get there. I put non ethanol 89 in my truck. I do not have the ETorq on mine. I’m wondering if the weight of the air ride suspension system is playing a factor in the poor fuel economy or if it is due to the “cap less” fuel system it has is letting the gas escape faster. I do not know what is causing it but I am disappointed/disgusted that my 2015 was getting way better fuel efficiency
There are many factors. What are you getting in the 2019?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two different trucks. Two different mpg numbers.

cerbo

Reaction score
at what mileage did you all notice an improvement in MPG s when the truck was new?
I have 500 miles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
at what mileage did you all notice an improvement in MPG s when the truck was new?
I have 500 miles.
I noticed an increase in MPG around 5k miles on my truck. Could be placebo but felt like a limiter was off. Ironically I babied my truck when it was new so the lead foot didn't come until after.

EAB

Reaction score
I have 500 miles.

I was barely getting 298 miles of range on a tank on my new limited, I just hit 1500 miles and the range is up to 400 miles...hopefully it stays like that but the stop/go traffic in DFW does not help

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was barely getting 298 miles of range on a tank on my new limited, I just hit 1500 miles and the range is up to 400 miles...hopefully it stays like that but the stop/go traffic in DFW does not help
You can't know mpg via range.
Range changes every second you are in the truck, it's very common for my range to INCREASE as I drive on the highway.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 limited 3.92 20% city and rest hwy 22 gallon tank 5.7 non-et and I avg 11-13 mpg sucks but I’m learning to live with it. Next truck will be a diesel. My buddy just picked up the new gmc sierra with the 3.0- or 3.2 I can’t remember and he’s getting 24mpg city and 28-30 hwy same tank size but I’m not sure his gear ratio and that thing still has some pull and get up and go!

cerbo

Reaction score
2019 limited 3.92 20% city and rest hwy 22 gallon tank 5.7 non-et and I avg 11-13 mpg sucks but I’m learning to live with it. Next truck will be a diesel. My buddy just picked up the new gmc sierra with the 3.0- or 3.2 I can’t remember and he’s getting 24mpg city and 28-30 hwy same tank size but I’m not sure his gear ratio and that thing still has some pull and get up and go!
don t tell me that!!!! LOL

cerbo

Reaction score
interesting...

Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG

Don't expect the Silverado 1500 to save you money at the fuel pump, but some of its various powertrain options are more efficient than others. The optional diesel is the most economical, with EPA estimates of up to 23 mpg city and 33 mpg. With all-wheel drive, its highway rating drops down to 26 mpg, which we matched on our 75-mph fuel-economy route. Meanwhile, the gas-fed turbo-four with all-wheel drive is rated at up to 20 mpg city and 22 highway. The thriftiest 5.3-liter V-8, all-wheel-drive powertrain is rated up to 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway; our real-world testing revealed that it was actually more efficient than the Silverado's smallest engine, the turbocharged four-cylinder: in our testing the V-8 achieved 21 mpg whereas the turbo-four returned 18 mpg. The 6.2-liter V-8 has city/highway estimates of up to 16/21 mpg, and on our real-world highway test it also proved impressively easy on fuel compared with the turbo-four by delivering 19 mpg. For more information about

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's pretty bad. I'm getting 11.5 MPG, 99% city with my TRX.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's pretty bad. I'm getting 11.5 MPG, 99% city with my TRX.
I mean I can get 13 mpg in the city with my 1500.
Ive just come to the conclusion these are gas drinking engines and it is what it is.
I do wish the sticker would just be more honest, if I knew the mpg was going to be THIS bad I would of found the extra 15k and put myself into a TRX

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ive just come to the conclusion these are gas drinking engines and it is what it is.
I do wish the sticker would just be more honest, if I knew the mpg was going to be THIS bad I would of found the extra 15k and put myself into a TRX
in bumper to bumper I would say 13 is normal. I normally get 16 ish in the city and 20 to 23 hwy

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

13 MPG was achievable with my Laramie, but I would need to drive it like I stole it. My Laramie and TRX have been pretty much spot on with the window sticker MPG's. My wife's Porsche get's a little better than sticker and so far our Crosstrek is about 1.5 MPG below sticker, but it's been running winter blend since we got it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
13 MPG was achievable with my Laramie, but I would need to drive it like I stole it. My Laramie and TRX have been pretty much spot on with the window sticker MPG's. My wife's Porsche get's a little better than sticker and so far our Crosstrek is about 1.5 MPG below sticker, but it's been running winter blend since we got it.
"drive it like I stole it". So just everyday driving? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread