5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are no roads in my entire state that are over 65mph.
Not everyone gets to go 80+ without getting pulled over.
Detroit area is 70, but northern Michigan is 75. At 82, you can smile at the cops. Unless you get the rare Ahole cop, they don't look at you until at least 10 over, and some 15 over. Their are fools that fly by me doing at least 90.

wzimmer

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I have a used 2019 Ram Bighorn 4x4 and getting around 11-12 mpg. I never see the little green light come on light it did it my 2014 which I lost due to trying to dodge a deer. It averaged 16-17 mph in town and 21-22 mpg on highway. If anyone on here finds out a cure for the low gas mileage, please let me know. I’m on a fixed income and the price of gas is hurting. Raising three grandchildren my budget is pretty tight. Sure wasn’t expecting this when I bought the truck. 70 years old and May have to cut back on one of my few pleasures in life hunting and fishing.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a used 2019 Ram Bighorn 4x4 and getting around 11-12 mpg. I never see the little green light come on light it did it my 2014 which I lost due to trying to dodge a deer. It averaged 16-17 mph in town and 21-22 mpg on highway. If anyone on here finds out a cure for the low gas mileage, please let me know. I’m on a fixed income and the price of gas is hurting. Raising three grandchildren my budget is pretty tight. Sure wasn’t expecting this when I bought the truck. 70 years old and May have to cut back on one of my few pleasures in life hunting and fishing.
You’ll have to give us details about your truck, and how/where you drive. Any mods, bigger tires, specs?

If all you do is drive in the city and pick up happy meals for the kids, I’d expect 12 mpg.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
As others said, that is awful. I have a lift and oversized tires with a lead foot and average 15 to 16. Combo of back roads, highway and city.

For the green light, do you have it set to come on? There is a setting in Uconnect that will tun the light off and on. The eco mode is working either way. It doesn't do much for your milage but it makes you think it does. I believe most savings is just the result of people driving easier to see it come on. Kind of like how people think an exhaust gives power because they hear it and hit the pedal harder.

EAB

Reaction score
Hi all! Sorry to add to this thread (since I posted this in the wrong spot last time) and I know you are all sick of talking about MPGs but wanted your feedback
Just picked up my 2023 Ram Limited 5.7 eTorque 26 gallon tank, no mods and I drive like a grandpa

I live in DFW so I know city driving is horrendous for MPGs
First full tank at 33 miles the range on the computer was only 298 miles, my fuel low warning came on when I had a full quarter of a tank left with a range showing of 50 miles. I just filled up for the 2nd time and the computer range also shows 298 mile range

Again I know city MPGs is not good, but should I expect the range to increase as I break in the truck?
Also a side note, this truck was on the lot for 216 days before I bought it with 33 miles on it, could that play a factor in any way?
Yes I know I did not buy the truck for fuel efficiency but wanted your feedback, side note this truck is awesome! :)

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Your miles to empty indication varies based on the mpg value. You can reset your mpg trip and it will correct itself faster.

So if doing a lot of city driving with poor mpg it will reflect that. Fill up and get on the highway and the miles to empty will slowly increase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Forrrr instance. Winter fuel and me doing nothing but in town driving for a few tanks, we have the same size tank and etorque

37590579657993fb3863100c628a8244.jpg

Same truck on a long road trip with my bike in the back
a851c1c2a02ea84d711a24fdac93e6db.jpg

EAB

Reaction score
Forrrr instance. Winter fuel and me doing nothing but in town driving for a few tanks, we have the same size tank and etorque

37590579657993fb3863100c628a8244.jpg

Same truck on a long road trip with my bike in the back
a851c1c2a02ea84d711a24fdac93e6db.jpg

Thanks! That makes me feel better. How are you averaging in the summer?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
These are both running 88 octane fuel, so in the summer overall average is 18ish.

But I’m ether doing a lot of highway hauling my bikes or a bunch of in town going to eat and what not.

My truck isn’t my daily.

jblaze14

Reaction score
i just got a 20 bighorn crewcab, 3.92, was getting 14.5 with stock tires, put on 33s and still getting 14.5. im in florida, not sure if we use winter blend. i have a flashpaq tuner set to fuel saver and a pedal commander set on eco and still get 14.5. also i put on an rc cold air intake and mbrp hi flow muffler (sounds fantastic) the first half of the tank will see 15.5-16 but the second half it falls off. i can hear the mds kick on and see live mpg go from 20s to 30s but at the end of the tank im right around 350 miles. truck has 95k miles, gonna pop off some plugs and see what kind of shape their in, maybe borescope the valves make sure its all clean in there too. i had a 16 ecoboost that was lifted and got 16-17 easy with lots of city and little highway.

Users who are viewing this thread