5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

CatServant

Reaction score
I get 20-21 mpg on the highway driving 65-70 mph and I have 33's with 3.92 gears. At 75 it drops down to 17-18 mpg.

2022 Lone Star Hemi eTorque. I get a little over 17mpg at 75mph. Towing my ~4000# travel trailer at 70, it drops to 9-10.

Yzcr87

Reaction score
My 23' Laramie (details in sig) is still fairly new at 8,200mi & pretty heavy but still managed 19mpg hand calculated on my last 2 tanks running Phillips 66 87 octane with 10% ethanol. All highway commute in no hurry, no idling, allowing the adaptive cruise to draft trucks at 65-70mph when possible.
I borrowed family members 20' Limited (40,000ish mi.) this spring before purchasing my truck. It has the same gearing and a payload within 50lbs of mine but got 20-21 hand calculated over two tank fulls with the same old man driving style but "ECO MODE/MDS" on his consistently stayed activated at 70mph, I even noticed the eco light staying on when the "current mpg" showed as low as 18mpg while at 70mph... My 23' barely holds 45mph on eco and wont even come on at 55mph unless its downhill and only then if the current MPG shows 30+. At 70mph is takes 50+ MPG to activate eco mode.... I know most folks despise MDS & my truck is the worst setup for good mileage next to a Rebel but over my 30,000mi/yr is adds up... What gives???

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 23' Laramie (details in sig) is still fairly new at 8,200mi & pretty heavy but still managed 19mpg hand calculated on my last 2 tanks running Phillips 66 87 octane with 10% ethanol. All highway commute in no hurry, no idling, allowing the adaptive cruise to draft trucks at 65-70mph when possible.
I borrowed family members 20' Limited (40,000ish mi.) this spring before purchasing my truck. It has the same gearing and a payload within 50lbs of mine but got 20-21 hand calculated over two tank fulls with the same old man driving style but "ECO MODE/MDS" on his consistently stayed activated at 70mph, I even noticed the eco light staying on when the "current mpg" showed as low as 18mpg while at 70mph... My 23' barely holds 45mph on eco and wont even come on at 55mph unless its downhill and only then if the current MPG shows 30+. At 70mph is takes 50+ MPG to activate eco mode.... I know most folks despise MDS & my truck is the worst setup for good mileage next to a Rebel but over my 30,000mi/yr is adds up... What gives???

My MDS behaves the same as your family members Limited, but I turn it off most of the time. I've been letting it run the last week after I filled up to see if it makes any difference in MPG.

23RAM

Reaction score
OK. So the mpg numbers you are giving are bogus conpajrd to everyone else. The live number at whatever speed is not going to be accurate.
You can reset your trip meter before you get on the highway to test if the computer is close but life readings are bogus and not real numbers. You aren't getting 21mpg on the highway with 3.92s unless your highway is downhill at 45mph.
No the numbers are not "bogus"...I am getting 21 on the highway. Going downhill at 45 I get 99mpg.
:D
Resetting the trip meter is exactly what I do if I want to monitor fuel mileage for a longer drive - did fuel ups and hand calculate to confirm it's accurate. Others here also confirm they get similar mileage.

23RAM

Reaction score
My MDS behaves the same as your family members Limited, but I turn it off most of the time. I've been letting it run the last week after I filled up to see if it makes any difference in MPG.
Mine doesn't act like that...once I hit about 55, I won't see the ECO light again until I'm coasting downhill or exiting the highway. If the cruise is on when going downhill steeply, it will actually drop a gear or two to raise revs for engine braking to stay within a couple miles of the set speed and keeps the ECO light off as well. Maybe MDS is actually activated but the ECO light is not on with newer models because it doesn't hit a minimum saving parameter?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see instant mpg of 22 to 24 going 60 on a smooth road with little head wind. And I never recalibrated my speedo so it reads worse then it should. 75 and above it will drop fast. Rams are not very aerodynamic

Mds works anywhere up to 55 on a flat road, but the numbers i mentioned are with no mds

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I see instant mpg of 22 to 24 going 60 on a smooth road with little head wind. And I never recalibrated my speedo so it reads worse then it should. 75 and above it will drop fast. Rams are not very aerodynamic

Mds works anywhere up to 55 on a flat road, but the numbers i mentioned are with no mds

Ram trucks are actually pretty aerodynamic compared to the competition.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I actually turned my instant mpg off because I found the constantly moving numbers distracting.

HemiDude

Reaction score
OK. So the mpg numbers you are giving are bogus conpajrd to everyone else. The live number at whatever speed is not going to be accurate.
You can reset your trip meter before you get on the highway to test if the computer is close but life readings are bogus and not real numbers. You aren't getting 21mpg on the highway with 3.92s unless your highway is downhill at 45mph.
Just because you don't, doesn't mean none of us can. I've had 3.92s in my last 2 Rams and calculated 22 on both. Long trips, not "downhill at 45mph". This comment feels like you were just looking to elicit a reaction.

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
Since you're allegedly calling me a liar with that comment, I took a pic today after driving at 68mph (110 km/h) for about 40 miles (65 km) this afternoon. The highway was mostly flat terrain but it does have a couple big up/down hills along the way and those kind of cancel each other out. I reset the trip as soon as I was on the highway and up to speed and then took the pic on the exit ramp stop light. Just before I took the pic it was reading 23.6 which is among my best highway cruise ratings so this is slightly better than normal of about 21-22. Just me and my wife going out to visit friends with a 99% full tank of 87 octane with about 30 lbs of added cargo. As I said before, the trip computers are actually quite accurate in my truck (they're fairly accurate in my boat too - both within 1 mpg hand calculated) as they're based on live fuel consumption rates which is monitored by the computer system.

My averaged rating for the day was 20.5 mpg over about 93 miles (150 km) with some city driving to and from the highway. Total highway run was about 80 miles (130 km).

Here's the pic...click to enlarge (this is a CDN truck with KM/H indications):
mpg.jpg

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Since you're allegedly calling me a liar with that comment, I took a pic today after driving at 68mph (110 km/h) for about 40 miles (65 km) this afternoon. The highway was mostly flat terrain but it does have a couple big up/down hills along the way and those kind of cancel each other out. I reset the trip as soon as I was on the highway and up to speed and then took the pic on the exit ramp stop light. Just before I took the pic it was reading 23.6 which is among my best highway cruise ratings so this is slightly better than normal of about 21-22. Just me and my wife going out to visit friends with a 99% full tank of 87 octane with about 30 lbs of added cargo. As I said before, the trip computers are actually quite accurate in my truck (they're fairly accurate in my boat too - both within 1 mpg hand calculated) as they're based on live fuel consumption rates which is monitored by the computer system.

My averaged rating for the day was 20.5 mpg over about 93 miles (150 km) with some city driving to and from the highway. Total highway run was about 80 miles (130 km).

Here's the pic...click to enlarge (this is a CDN truck with KM/H indications):
View attachment 165078

Boom, roasted.

I’m still getting 21-22 mpg highway with mine running 88 octane. Basically a Prius.

I did try and race my wifes new outback xt that gets 30mpg. And she beat me. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
It may have already been said here (I can't recall everything that was posted over the last 69 pages), but consider this: What if Ram was totally accurate and honest in posting MPG for each trim level and engine combination? There is no way they could average enough mpg across all lines to meet cafe standards or offset the penalties. They would have to discontinue some offerings, and the Hemi could already be gone. One could say that their deception has actually benefitted those of us who wanted a heavy, amenity-laden v8 truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It may have already been said here (I can't recall everything that was posted over the last 69 pages), but consider this: What if Ram was totally accurate and honest in posting MPG for each trim level and engine combination? There is no way they could average enough mpg across all lines to meet cafe standards or offset the penalties. They would have to discontinue some offerings, and the Hemi could already be gone. One could say that their deception has actually benefitted those of us who wanted a heavy, amenity-laden v8 truck.
They don't meed those standards and they don't offset the penalties... They just pay for them all and buy credits from Tesla.
Ram did this to the self's can't blame anyone else. Silverados get better mpg with the 5.3 (which runs just as good as the 5.7). They also don't like on the mpg sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread