5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

19ram5.7

Reaction score
Was getting terrible fuel mileage with my 19 ram 5.7 hemi etorque, looked at the tires max air pressure (50) on mine, increased them from 34 to 44lbs and noticed a difference in fuel mileage. I was burning 1/8 tank traveling 30 miles, since air pressure increase it’s definitely doing way better

smashweights

Reaction score
My average mpg has tanked for the last few months. I used to get about 16.5mpg doing most city driving. I got an oil change and started filling up at Mobil (instead of Shell) for the Walmart+ discount and now I'm averaging 14mpg... WTF

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It may have already been said here (I can't recall everything that was posted over the last 69 pages), but consider this: What if Ram was totally accurate and honest in posting MPG for each trim level and engine combination? There is no way they could average enough mpg across all lines to meet cafe standards or offset the penalties. They would have to discontinue some offerings, and the Hemi could already be gone. One could say that their deception has actually benefitted those of us who wanted a heavy, amenity-laden v8 truck.
The EPA determines the number on the sticker. If you drive the same as the EPA tests, you will get the mileage. Heck, in the 90s, I drove a company F150, with a 6 stick. It got 10 MPG. I'm completely satisfied with my mileage. If I wasn't, I wouldn't drive a truck.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Was getting terrible fuel mileage with my 19 ram 5.7 hemi etorque, looked at the tires max air pressure (50) on mine, increased them from 34 to 44lbs and noticed a difference in fuel mileage. I was burning 1/8 tank traveling 30 miles, since air pressure increase it’s definitely doing way better

“Max air pressure” is for seating the tire. It’s not meant to be ran at that pressure. You just decreased the surface area and rolling resistance. But you also will see increased wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
“Max air pressure” is for seating the tire. It’s not meant to be ran at that pressure. You just decreased the surface area and rolling resistance. But you also will see increased wear.

Max air pressure is for use when running at max load rating for the tire. Has nothing to do with seating the beads. I've seen some tires take up to 90 psi to seat on the wheel. That's why tire shops have tire cages for doing that.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That was just something old heads used to say when they didn’t want to use a cage. ether way in a standard application running a normal at tire at high psi when the trucks not loaded will cause odd wear.

The minimal fuel savings won’t outweigh the expense of having to replace the tires early.

23RAM

Reaction score
Silverados get better mpg with the 5.3 (which runs just as good as the 5.7). They also don't like on the mpg sticker.
Well that's just wrong...it's actually rated worse than the RAM.
Do you just make up BS to troll or what?

I spent months researching and test-driving every full size pickup brand last year. For instance, a similarly equipped 2022 Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4 is rated 14/22 mpg city/hwy which is worse than my RAM rated 16/22. It also cost $4000 more and had a worse ride and lower quality interior. Ford F-150 SC with 5.0L 4x4 has similar ratings but also cost about $5000 more. Prices have fluctuated due to covid pricing, but last fall when I was getting ready to order that's where the prices fell and RAM had the best discounts. I also looked at the Tundra and Titan but they're fugly.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Do you just make up BS to troll or what?

I spent months researching and test-driving every full size pickup brand last year. For instance, a similarly equipped 2022 Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4 is rated 14/22 mpg city/hwy which is worse than my RAM rated 16/22. It also cost $4000 more and had a worse ride and lower quality interior. Ford F-150 SC with 5.0L 4x4 has similar ratings but also cost about $5000 more. Prices have fluctuated due to covid pricing, but last fall when I was getting ready to order that's where the prices fell and RAM had the best discounts. I also looked at the Tundra and Titan but they're fugly.

When I read, Silverados get better mpg with the 5.3 (which runs just as good as the 5.7), I knew he was trolling.

23RAM

Reaction score
Tire pressures are related to cargo weight. If you drive alone with an empty truck, you can leave them at 36 psi. If you add anything extra, like passengers, dog, cargo, you need to adjust the tire pressures accordingly. I run mine at 39/39 because I usually have passengers and light cargo, and tow every weekend. Due to weight distribution, the fronts will typically wear faster, hence the reason you need to rotate your tires to even out wear.

As mentioned, over-inflating your tires will lead to greater wear in the middle of the tire - it'll be bald in the center and worn out when half the tread is still on the outer edges. This leads to early replacements for no reason. Yes you'll get better fuel mileage but what you save won't pay for early replacement. Not to mention the contact patch is smaller reducing traction in all conditions, including braking performance. Read up on tire wear and pressures and you'll find you can make them wear evenly and last thousands of miles longer and drive safer.

Of course if you're loading up with 1000 lbs of cargo every day, then yeah you need to run higher pressures.
:)

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
They don't meed those standards and they don't offset the penalties... They just pay for them all and buy credits from Tesla.
Ram did this to the self's can't blame anyone else. Silverados get better mpg with the 5.3 (which runs just as good as the 5.7). They also don't like on the mpg sticker.

100% wrong. I had three new gen 5.3 Silverados with the 5.3 in both gear ratios and different configurations.

It also doesn’t run just as good, u less you’re talking about the 6.2.

I switched to a ram for better performance and mpg.

Are you trolling or do you really believe some of the things you’ve posted here?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Exactly what you said, except Chevy is honest with it's mpg ratings so even being "rated" worse it gets way more.
I would get 24 mpg all day the long on the highway, and even was able to get 30 mpg on a 75 mile stretch of the highway. City on average was 17 mpg.
This was with a 5.3 and 3.55 gears and MDS disabled.

100% wrong. I had three new gen 5.3 Silverados with the 5.3 in both gear ratios and different configurations.

It also doesn’t run just as good, u less you’re talking about the 6.2.

I switched to a ram for better performance and mpg.

Are you trolling or do you really believe some of the things you’ve posted here?

Not sure what performance you are talking about.
MPG is way better with a Chevy then a Ram (shouldn't be a surprise there) and off the line the L83 engine rips great. The 5.7 feels like a dog on it's last legs especially on rolling stops where for sometimes a couple seconds the truck will sit there doing nothing while your foot is all the way down, I can't count how many times I almost cause accidents because the truck doesn't want to move and acts like i'm not touching the gas. I even had a 87 tune on it and it responds much better then my Ram with a 93 tune too.
The engine isn't terrible, but neither is the Chevy.

The Ram is better truck but the engine in the Chevy feels a million times better. I also have eTorque so I don't know if a lot of my problems are due to design failures with Ram that people without it don't have.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I too have etorque. The torque management in the 2014+ gm trucks was horrible and needed to be tuned out in the tcm. The ram just needs a cheap pedal commander.

I lived gm for years and ram the gm full-size forum till I got tired of their crap and issues and moved to a ram the other year.

But to sit here and say they have better performance and real world mpg is pretty laughable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I too have etorque. The torque management in the 2014+ gm trucks was horrible and needed to be tuned out in the tcm. The ram just needs a cheap pedal commander.

I lived gm for years and ram the gm full-size forum till I got tired of their crap and issues and moved to a ram the other year.

But to sit here and say they have better performance and real world mpg is pretty laughable.

Pedal commander does nothing for the lag, I have a sprint booster.
If you think Ram gets more MPG then Chevy idk what you're smoking but I want some.
I had a tune on my Silverado the second week I had it at 500 miles. The Ram I think I had for 3 months before I got it tuned as I was waiting to be able to get the PCM unlocked, the Chevy was not locked from the factory.

Ram\Dodge has never been known to get good mpg, but Chevy is honest on the epa rating, Ram is not was all I was saying. But yes my Silverado got way better mpg did and doesn't have any weird kind of lag from the factory. When you hit the gas peddle you are engaged and moving, with the Ram it thinks about if you really wanted to hit it and then moves and a ton of other people even on this forum have the same "feature"

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Pedal commander does nothing for the lag, I have a sprint booster.
If you think Ram gets more MPG then Chevy idk what you're smoking but I want some.
I had a tune on my Silverado the second week I had it at 500 miles. The Ram I think I had for 3 months before I got it tuned as I was waiting to be able to get the PCM unlocked, the Chevy was not locked from the factory.

Ram\Dodge has never been known to get good mpg, but Chevy is honest on the epa rating, Ram is not was all I was saying. But yes my Silverado got way better mpg did and doesn't have any weird kind of lag from the factory. When you hit the gas peddle you are engaged and moving, with the Ram it thinks about if you really wanted to hit it and then moves and a ton of other people even on this forum have the same "feature"

It’s a proven fact gm has torque management built into their transmissions that causes off the line lag and all 2017+ gm trucks have a locked tcm that you have to pay a fee to have unlocked, which is where the tq management is. I used diablew to tune all my Silverados.

Chevy is far from Honest about their epa ratings.

You bought the wrong pedal commander if you still feel lag in your ram.

Numerous posts over here to dispute pretty much everything you’ve claimed. If you want to try and argue about gm Products I have nothing but time

GMC Truck Forum

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
Exactly what you said, except Chevy is honest with it's mpg ratings so even being "rated" worse it gets way more.
According to the mpg ratings for my RAM, I get slightly better than they claim. So to say RAM lies about their ratings is BS.
I would get 24 mpg all day the long on the highway,
According to what I've read about the Chevy 5.3L, I question your claims. Seems lots of people say they get 20-22. But for some reason you got much better (24-30) in the Chevy and crap mileage in the RAM. Smells like more BS to me...and sounds like you have a gripe with RAM.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Come on. We are nearing the landmark 1500 posts of usless nonsense knowing that milage differs by every mod, driving condition and style. We just have to keep posting in circles a little longer to hit the landmark!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
update on my fuel mileage. I decided to eat 3 cans of beans, and run a hose from the driver seat to the gas tank. Now I’m averaging 35 mpg!! Best mod I’ve done so far!

That's actually a thing in aviation. Turboprop jet engines combine shaft horsepower and jet exhaust thrust to come up with equivalent shaft horsepower. The exhaust only accounts for 5% of the total output, so your results are pretty good. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread