5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Going from 45 to 25, should have enough time from seeing the sign to slow down before you get to it. That is, if you are paying attention to the road and signs
But the speed doesn't change until the sign.
Going 25 in a 45 zone is against the law too, generally can no no less then 10mpg under the limit so if you are going 25, that's 20 miles below the speed limit and would likely trigger "impede the normal flow of traffic"

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But the speed doesn't change until the sign.
Going 25 in a 45 zone is against the law too, generally can no no less then 10mpg under the limit so if you are going 25, that's 20 miles below the speed limit and would likely trigger "impede the normal flow of traffic"
That's not the case. There is no "minimum" speed limit, unless posted. You aren't impeding traffic if you are slowing down for a speed limit change.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Law be damned. It really doesn't matter what a sign says or what speed you are going where. Just depends on Jonnie when he pulls you over. If he is excited, like any Richard he gets bigger. Your ticket gets bigger just like an excited Richard too.

When I was younger I had a cop ticket me. I was at a stoplight when she pulled in behind me. I asked how she knew my speed and she said she calculated how long it took to catch up. I asked for that formula, she just gave me the ticket. In court she said she was pacing me. Flat out lie right to the judge. Fact was, I was speeding. Faster than my ticket. But she committed a felony right in the courtroom. I was just speeding, not committing a felony.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Law be damned. It really doesn't matter what a sign says or what speed you are going where. Just depends on Jonnie when he pulls you over. If he is excited, like any Richard he gets bigger. Your ticket gets bigger just like an excited Richard too.

When I was younger I had a cop ticket me. I was at a stoplight when she pulled in behind me. I asked how she knew my speed and she said she calculated how long it took to catch up. I asked for that formula, she just gave me the ticket. In court she said she was pacing me. Flat out lie right to the judge. Fact was, I was speeding. Faster than my ticket. But she committed a felony right in the courtroom. I was just speeding, not committing a felony.
I got pulled over on a military base once for speeding, even though I wasn't, and the excuse they gave me for determining I was speeding, was that they had to speed to catch up to me. I politely pointed out to them that's how physics work. I didn't get a ticket.

BowDown

Reaction score

That happens all the time, it pisses me off when those it hasn't happened to tell me that "you must have done something wrong, cops aren't dishonest". No one believes it till it happens to them then they want everyone behind them. I cant count the number of times S like that has happened to me when I was younger only because LEO knew they could get away with it

BowDown

Reaction score
I thought all those signs were just suggestions! 🤔

Technically they are, especially in Texas if a speed study hasn't been conducted on that section of road in 3-5 years.
(2) Frequency of rechecks.(A) Periodic rechecks of all zones are desirable at intervals of about three to five years in urban areas regardless of roadway improvements, roadside developments, or increases in traffic volumes. Trial runs or rechecks of every third speed check station may be made.(B) Rechecks in rural areas are desirable at intervals of five to ten years. In many instances, trial runs may be sufficient.

If there's no recent speed study, you can beat the ticket, at least I have in Texas.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Technically they are, especially in Texas if a speed study hasn't been conducted on that section of road in 3-5 years.

If there's no recent speed study, you can beat the ticket, at least I have in Texas.
Well, saying "desirable" isn't the same as required. It's a gray area that could easily go either way depending on the judge

BowDown

Reaction score
Well, saying "desirable" isn't the same as required. It's a gray area that could easily go either way depending on the judge
The amount of time (between 3-5 years) is what's desirable, speed studies are a state requirement for speed limits in Texas. Almost every speeding ticket I've beat was because of a "defective" (out of date) speed study

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That happens all the time, it pisses me off when those it hasn't happened to tell me that "you must have done something wrong, cops aren't dishonest". No one believes it till it happens to them then they want everyone behind them. I cant count the number of times S like that has happened to me when I was younger only because LEO knew they could get away with it
Yea, I'm not saying I wasn't speeding. I'm not saying I wasn't a long haired hell raiser that looked like trouble. I'm not even saying I didn't cause some of that trouble. I just didn't like not being caught fair and square (it's not illegal if you dont get caught right?) and really didn't like the fact that she could blatantly commit a felony with impunity. No comparisons since we are not in the right section.

I actually went to court to hear how she did some magic math calculation and was going to show the judge that the young hippie biker trash could do math too. But alas, that didn't happen. I just paid my fine and went home.

Anyway, weren’t we bitching about the gas milage these trucks get that are way more efficient than trucks of the past?
😄🤣😄

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I'm not saying I wasn't speeding. I'm not saying I wasn't a long haired hell raiser that looked like trouble. I'm not even saying I didn't cause some of that trouble. I just didn't like not being caught fair and square (it's not illegal if you dont get caught right?) and really didn't like the fact that she could blatantly commit a felony with impunity. No comparisons since we are not in the right section.

I actually went to court to hear how she did some magic math calculation and was going to show the judge that the young hippie biker trash could do math too. But alas, that didn't happen. I just paid my fine and went home.

Anyway, weren’t we bitching about the gas milage these trucks get that are way more efficient than trucks of the past?
😄🤣😄
Had a 72 F250 with a 460 that got 12 up hill, down hill, towing or empty, with less ponies than my 5.7 that gets 11 towing and 22+ on the freeway. I definitely can't complain.

6of36

Reaction score
Had a 72 F250 with a 460 that got 12 up hill, down hill, towing or empty, with less ponies than my 5.7 that gets 11 towing and 22+ on the freeway. I definitely can't complain.
You must be older than me, lol, because my DAD had a 70 which at that that time they weren't f150s and f250s. He did buy his new, so it was 53 years ago. I just remember it was a 3/4 ton, I believe Camper Special. I think he had a 390. 10MPG up hill, down hill, towing or empty. I'm very happy with 14-15 city with my lead foot, and 18-22 highway, depending on speed.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You must be older than me, lol, because my DAD had a 70 which at that that time they weren't f150s and f250s. He did buy his new, so it was 53 years ago. I just remember it was a 3/4 ton, I believe Camper Special. I think he had a 390. 10MPG up hill, down hill, towing or empty. I'm very happy with 14-15 city with my lead foot, and 18-22 highway, depending on speed.
Yea, mine was the camper special too. And yes, I probably am older than you, but mine was used.

motorbreath

Reaction score
Get 11 MPG around town always everywhere
This is exactly what I am currently getting. Was averaging ~12-13 but suddenly less. Haven't changed driving habits, if anything I am babying it more because of paying attention. Don't know WTH to make of it. Hell, my '96 Yukon 4x4 get slightly better, and it's a heavy beast 🙄

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I am currently getting. Was averaging ~12-13 but suddenly less. Haven't changed driving habits, if anything I am babying it more because of paying attention. Don't know WTH to make of it. Hell, my '96 Yukon 4x4 get slightly better, and it's a heavy beast 🙄
What’s the details of your truck? Do you have a lift or larger tires? City or highway driving?

motorbreath

Reaction score
What’s the details of your truck? Do you have a lift or larger tires? City or highway driving?
Sorry I should have elaborated. It's a 2019 bighorn 4x4 CC. No lift, standard street tires and no etorque. Almost all city driving, I definitely need to do some testing on the highway as well. I will say that I have a (or what I believe to be) bad wheel bearing, maybe that is causing more drag that I'm anticipating? Will be changing that out tomorrow, if I can find a freakin replacement axle nut! 😂

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry I should have elaborated. It's a 2019 bighorn 4x4 CC. No lift, standard street tires and no etorque. Almost all city driving, I definitely need to do some testing on the highway as well. I will say that I have a (or what I believe to be) bad wheel bearing, maybe that is causing more drag that I'm anticipating? Will be changing that out tomorrow, if I can find a freakin replacement axle nut! 😂
I gotcha. Not uncommon to see 12mpg if all you drive is heavy city. Easy highway driving at 55mph you should see at least 20mpg. Good luck with the bearing

Users who are viewing this thread