5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

ronkaren

Reaction score
i'm getting just over 22 mpg on my 2023 ram 1500 sport, 5.7 L, e-torque, 3.92 dif.
only 1200 kms, should get even better.

23RAM

Reaction score
i'm getting just over 22 mpg on my 2023 ram 1500 sport, 5.7 L, e-torque, 3.92 dif.
Yup, mine was getting 22 new, and now hits 23. My personal best was 23.6 mpg on the highway at 68 mph using cruise control.

23RAM

Reaction score
Are the comparisons the same gallon? US Gallon vs. imperial gallon?
I have mine configured for US gallons...but my speedo, odometer, temps are in KM/metric which is great as comparison tool. One of the handy features I like on my Canadian RAM is I can flick to MPH and back to KM/H with one press of the left OK button - not sure if US models do that?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have mine configured for US gallons...but my speedo, odometer, temps are in KM/metric which is great as comparison tool. One of the handy features I like on my Canadian RAM is I can flick to MPH and back to KM/H with one press of the left OK button - not sure if US models do that?
Yes, they all do that for speedo I've never checked for temp, because it's by accident to change speedo.:D

Yzcr87

Reaction score
Miles? Does MDS stay engaged at highway speeds? My 23' with 8,700mi. wont keep MDS engaged at anything over 45mph no matter how gentle you are with the throttle. Personal best mpg is 19.6 drafting trucks & driving like an old man on the highway. Normal highway commute for me is 18ish mpg running 87 or 89 octane, no change.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Miles? Does MDS stay engaged at highway speeds? My 23' with 8,700mi. wont keep MDS engaged at anything over 45mph no matter how gentle you are with the throttle. Personal best mpg is 19.6 drafting trucks & driving like an old man on the highway. Normal highway commute for me is 18ish mpg running 87 or 89 octane, no change.
Mds usually won’t engage above 55 unless you’re going slightly downhill, or it’s a pristinely level and smooth road with no wind.

23RAM

Reaction score
Mds usually won’t engage above 55 unless you’re going slightly downhill, or it’s a pristinely level and smooth road with no wind.
The ECO light doesn't come on above about 55 mph for me either, but I see it alot at 40-55 when cruising. We have some long 40mph roads around here where I just set the cruise and I get 27-28 mpg. My personal best was posted with a pic earlier in the thread - 23.6 mpg at 68 mph.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ECO light doesn't come on above about 55 mph for me either, but I see it alot at 40-55 when cruising. We have some long 40mph roads around here where I just set the cruise and I get 27-28 mpg. My personal best was posted with a pic earlier in the thread - 23.6 mpg at 68 mph.
Same here

Yzcr87

Reaction score
On a 3.21 truck, one with a larger/heavier wheel & tire setup or maybe a Rebel I'd imagine 55mph would probably be the limit for MDS engagement but on my family members heavy 3.92 4x4 limited, the used 3.92 trucks I test drove before ordering mine & some members here with 3.92 trucks. They stayed engaged at 70mph with the instant MPG showing as low as 18mpg. Meanwhile my all stock truck cant even hold MDS on flat ground & no wind at 45mph. Heck at 70mph my MDS wont engage until the instant MPG shows 50+.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not to worry. You don't have it broken in yet. With 3.92 gears your eco will stay on more since the truck is not lugging against its own weight. Notice Blet has to be going downhill with a tailwind to have it kick in. Yea, he forgot to mention no passenger older than 6 and no cargo beyond TP (grocery store pack, not Costco) 🤣

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not to worry. You don't have it broken in yet. With 3.92 gears your eco will stay on more since the truck is not lugging against its own weight. Notice Blet has to be going downhill with a tailwind to have it kick in. Yea, he forgot to mention no passenger older than 6 and no cargo beyond TP (grocery store pack, not Costco) 🤣
I just talked to an FCA engineer. They told me they programmed the eco light on 3.92 trucks to come on more than 3.21 trucks so you guys won’t feel as bad about having to compensate for being so feminine 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread