5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's important to me is the fact that the window sticker stated one thing and in actuality it is false.
It's not a guarantee that everyone will get those numbers.

I regularly beat the sticker numbers when I'm not towing. Others don't.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is this a lowered Rebel?
allharley has a Rebel.

Thread wasnt started by him.

And before it was lowered and I had 33in all terrain tires like a rebel. I still got around the same mpg.

I actually did the exact same trip before it was lowered but without the bike and averaged closer to 22mpg. It’s really all in how you work your right foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score

And before it was lowered and I had 33in all terrain tires like a rebel. I still got around the same mpg.

I actually did the exact same trip before it was lowered but without the bike and averaged closer to 22mpg. It’s really all in how you work your right foot.

While I don't doubt your mpg, it's not close to the norm of most Rebels, with quite a few Rebel mpg threads to support their less than stellar mpg.

The 33" all-terrains on the Rebel are Duratracs that are essentially a hybrid AT/MT pattern, which hurts mpg compared to most standard type A/T tires, plus they are heavy. Rebels also have the mandatory 3.92 rear axle, 1" higher ride height up front and no active aero.

I'm a guy who could squeeze almost 25 mpg out of my F150 (rated for 23 mpg), but I can barely get 15.5 mpg on the highway on my Rebel and average 12 mpg mixed city/street. The variables on Rebels just don't equal good mpg.

But, as many Rebel owners will say, I still love my truck and would have no other trim.

Reactions: TSL

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
My at tires were Toyo open country at3 extreams. On a -19 offset wide wheel. So basically the same thing.

And per the mpg threads. The 3.92 gears get just as good of milage as the higher gear ratio.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My at tires were Toyo open country at3 extreams. On a -19 offset wide wheel. So basically the same thing.

And per the mpg threads. The 3.92 gears get just as good of milage as the higher gear ratio.

I think your variables in terms of road and conditions probably lends itself better to good mpg. Do you have flat roads in your area? Could be also you have a superior right foot when it comes to extracting good mpg.

Unless you think everyone else who owns a Rebel and complains about the mpg are wrong?

Look up real world mpg on Fuelly with Rebels vs other trims, it's clear they are especially low.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
No, I’m in northern pennsylvania. It’s literally all mountains.

I think it’s a lot to do with riding habits

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No, I’m in northern pennsylvania. It’s literally all mountains.

I think it’s a lot to do with riding habits

Wow, it's impressive you can do that. Again, I believe you, but your example is not the norm for people driving similar trucks.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I can also get it to average 10mpg. Then my wallet starts to hurt.

If I left MDS and *** on it would probably average better. But with a loud exhaust that stuff gets annoying so I keep it off.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can also get it to average 10mpg. Then my wallet starts to hurt.

If I left MDS and *** on it would probably average better. But with a loud exhaust that stuff gets annoying so I keep it off.

I can get somewhat decent mpg, but that would mean hypermiling and angering the drivers behind me and not so much fun.

Either way, it's worth the price of admission :)

Idahoktm

Reaction score
While I don't doubt your mpg, it's not close to the norm of most Rebels, with quite a few Rebel mpg threads to support their less than stellar mpg.

The 33" all-terrains on the Rebel are Duratracs that are essentially a hybrid AT/MT pattern, which hurts mpg compared to most standard type A/T tires, plus they are heavy. Rebels also have the mandatory 3.92 rear axle, 1" higher ride height up front and no active aero.

I'm a guy who could squeeze almost 25 mpg out of my F150 (rated for 23 mpg), but I can barely get 15.5 mpg on the highway on my Rebel and average 12 mpg mixed city/street. The variables on Rebels just don't equal good mpg.

But, as many Rebel owners will say, I still love my truck and would have no other trim.

I'm not sure why you're getting such crappy MPG's with your Rebel. I have the exact set up now (Front end leveled and Rebel wheels/tires), in much colder weather and I'm getting 15.5/16 MPG in the city. I haven't driven on the highway yet with these wheels/tires, so I'm not sure what I'll get but I'm thinking it's going to be the same as my Ridge Grapplers (18-19 MPG).

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Pedal commander or tune?

I know when I put my pedal commander up to the higher numbers my city mpg drops a lot.

For that trip i turned it off.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What's important to me is the fact that the window sticker stated one thing and in actuality it is false. Trade in a brand new 2022 truck with 700 miles on it? Great advice......
If you read my post again, the fill issue is not a gauge issue. It seems to be some sort of venting issue that won't physically allow me to properly fill the tank the last 1/8 of the way.
Look at the combined gas mileage in my picture. You think that's acceptable based on the sticker claims?
Like others have stated, the window stick is "best case scenario". Alot of factors contribute to mpg. Is most of your driving in the city? Do you remote start your truck, or leave it running often? Do you hit alot of drive thru's? Wind will also make it worse. How much cargo do you have? What octane fuel are you running?

Personally, I like to accelerate briskly, get to speed, and set the cruise. I find it's better to make 3 mpg for 5 seconds, instead of 5 mpg for 15 seconds.

BowDown

Reaction score

It absolutely does. There's lots of Rams in my area and I run across many at stoplights and they many will accelerate harder from a stop light that I do in city traffic and I usually pass them around 45-50mph as I don't accelerate like they do but get the truck into 7th or 8th as often as possible, in other words, I don't accelerate shifting at 3-4K RPM's and usually drive 10-15mph over the speed limit.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read the fine print on the window sticker. There is no place that it states that this will be your MPG. In fact, it states just the opposite.

Attachments

• WindowStickerPDF.pdf
    130 KB · Views: 14

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're getting such crappy MPG's with your Rebel. I have the exact set up now (Front end leveled and Rebel wheels/tires), in much colder weather and I'm getting 15.5/16 MPG in the city. I haven't driven on the highway yet with these wheels/tires, so I'm not sure what I'll get but I'm thinking it's going to be the same as my Ridge Grapplers (18-19 MPG).

I think it's a lot of variables, including the terrain in my area, however it's still way down compared to other trucks I've owned.

The reason why I'm not worried is it's right in line with what many Rebel owners are reporting and similar to what I see on Fuelly on Rebels.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If we take into account the thousands of parts and the innate differences in each of them, and the thousands of combinations of those parts in the multitude of configurations of the trucks sold, and the fact that the countries that we get those parts from don't like us, it's a wonder that things aren't a lot worse than they are. We complain about the MPG, and then complain about lack of power. It's a 5000lb brick, not a Prius.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If we take into account the thousands of parts and the innate differences in each of them, and the thousands of combinations of those parts in the multitude of configurations of the trucks sold, and the fact that the countries that we get those parts from don't like us, it's a wonder that things aren't a lot worse than they are. We complain about the MPG, and then complain about lack of power. It's a 5000lb brick, not a Prius.

Couldn't agree more, but not really complaining about the mpg of a big truck.

The Rebel thing many owners complain about is that the stated MPG is based on a "rubber stamp" EPA figure from a regular RAM with street tires. It has the same rating as a Laramie with 18" base wheels, 3.21 rear axle and street biased tires. TFL Trucks actually reported this as well when their long-term Rebel wasn't getting close to the mpg rating.

Not technically illegal for RAM to do, but kinda shady since the EPA allows manufacturers to lower EPA ratings on specific model trims. The same way Chevy lowers the EPA rating on the Silverado Trail Boss package trucks, RAM could have done the same on the Rebel but chose not to.

This wasn't an issue for me, since I'm familiar with leveled trucks on 33" tires. But there are a lot of first time buyers new to trucks who bought the Rebel and actually thought the window sticker was going to be somewhat accurate. They are usually the ones posting on these forums shocked to see 12-15 mpg in most situations.

BigD

Reaction score
I was getting 27 mpg the other day doing 45 mph on the freeway because we had an ice storm the night before. If I drive 55 to 60 mph on a highway I can get 24 mpg. So I am actually getting better than what the sticker says. Now if I go 75 mph on the freeway I only get 17 mpg because I got 3.92 gears. U got a Rebel which stands 2 inches higher & has off road tires. I'm sure u got 3.92 gears, not 3.21. So what are u complaining about? As far as the gas tank stopping 1/8 too soon, big deal. Mine does that at certain gas stations. is that really that big of a deal ? U actually brought your truck back to the dealer to fix non existent problems. Did they laugh at u ? Holy crap, I can't believe the stuff people whine about on this forum. That's why I barely go on here anymore. Let's talk about real problems & real solutions.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was getting 27 mpg the other day doing 45 mph on the freeway because we had an ice storm the night before. If I drive 55 to 60 mph on a highway I can get 24 mpg. So I am actually getting better than what the sticker says. Now if I go 75 mph on the freeway I only get 17 mpg because I got 3.92 gears. U got a Rebel which stands 2 inches higher & has off road tires. I'm sure u got 3.92 gears, not 3.21. So what are u complaining about? As far as the gas tank stopping 1/8 too soon, big deal. Mine does that at certain gas stations. is that really that big of a deal ? U actually brought your truck back to the dealer to fix non existent problems. Did they laugh at u ? Holy crap, I can't believe the stuff people whine about on this forum. That's why I barely go on here anymore. Let's talk about real problems & real solutions.

Who are you specifically talking about?

It can't be me, I made it clear I'm not complaining about my mpg.

As for others complaining, it's a forum, they exist so people can discuss issues and things that they like and sometimes bother them. You are complaining about people complaining on a truck forum?

Users who are viewing this thread