5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised you guys have problems getting the eco mode to kick in. Mine works in stop and go. It comes on when coasting to slow down and is on quite a bit if I stay under 60. I have a problem with leadfootitis that makes the truck go too fast and keeps it from kicking in. Do they have a pill for that?

Mine will do all that, except it's stay under 50mph. Even on perfectly level ground, the Eco will not kick on @ 60mph while maintaining speed.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I've recently learned the value of warm weather and the Hemi. I bought my truck in December so I only got a taste of mpgs based on winter blend gas and cold temps. I didn't think anything of it because every GM truck I've owned performed nearly the same regardless of temperature. Not so with my Ram. On my trip to and from work at 65mph, I was averaging 16.0mpg. The same trip at the same speed with consistently warmer temps has averaged 18.0mpg. Quite a jump. I'll be interested to see how it performs on flatter terrain combined with warmer weather.

I'd rather have my V8 with AWE vocal cords over any fuel-sipping diesel or turbo motor. But I do think it's fun to challenge myself and see what kind of mpg the truck is capable of.

Blackhat

Reaction score
I've recently learned the value of warm weather and the Hemi. I bought my truck in December so I only got a taste of mpgs based on winter blend gas and cold temps. I didn't think anything of it because every GM truck I've owned performed nearly the same regardless of temperature. Not so with my Ram. On my trip to and from work at 65mph, I was averaging 16.0mpg. The same trip at the same speed with consistently warmer temps has averaged 18.0mpg. Quite a jump. I'll be interested to see how it performs on flatter terrain combined with warmer weather.

I'd rather have my V8 with AWE vocal cords over any fuel-sipping diesel or turbo motor. But I do think it's fun to challenge myself and see what kind of mpg the truck is capable of.
I liked My Hemi a lot to! And the Sound was awesome...But this Diesel is a Beast off Road and on the Highway. I've had them all 2016 Outdoorsman V6 gasser...V8 2018 Longhorn and this 2021 Eco and this one by FAR is my Favorite.

Attachments

• 20220512_164136.jpg
    20220512_164136.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 38

allharley

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I know this is an older post but wanted to add my experience to let people know this is still a problem in 2022 RAM'S.
Right before Christmas i purchased a 2022 RAM Rebel 5.7 e torque. Sticker said 18 combined, 20 highway.
I get; 13 city, 16.4 highway.
I'm so disappointed. It's at the dealer now for that and because I can only get 7/8 of a tank of gas when filling. A mechanic told me I may just need to go to another gas station because their pumps may be set too fast. OMG, i have been using the same station for 31 years and never had an issue with any of my vehicles there. Not to mention, I sat there and went as slow as possible with the pump and it still foamed up the neck when at 7/8 of a tank. What a ******** story!
In addition when you open or close the doors I hear a faint bass pop from the speakers. It's a beautiful truck but for $60,000 I am becoming disappointed real quick.
In the pics take notice to my combined gas mileage.

Attachments

• 20221229_183316.jpg
    20221229_183316.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221229_183323.jpg
    20221229_183323.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 38

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your fuel mileage is right in line with Hemi Winter MGPs, it should improve when it breaks in and Summer fuels become available. The dealer should be able to fix your fuel gauge easily, but will not be able to do anything to increase MPG - This 5000# plus truck and Hemi combo, especially with 4wd, is always thirsty. Take my .02 for what it is worth, if fuel economy means that much to you, you should start looking at other vehicles to trade it in for.

allharley

Reaction score
Your fuel mileage is right in line with Hemi Winter MGPs, it should improve when it breaks in and Summer fuels become available. The dealer should be able to fix your fuel gauge easily, but will not be able to do anything to increase MPG - This 5000# plus truck and Hemi combo, especially with 4wd, is always thirsty. Take my .02 for what it is worth, if fuel economy means that much to you, you should start looking at other vehicles to trade it in for.
What's important to me is the fact that the window sticker stated one thing and in actuality it is false. Trade in a brand new 2022 truck with 700 miles on it? Great advice......
If you read my post again, the fill issue is not a gauge issue. It seems to be some sort of venting issue that won't physically allow me to properly fill the tank the last 1/8 of the way.
Look at the combined gas mileage in my picture. You think that's acceptable based on the sticker claims?

Attachments

• 20221229_183316.jpg
    20221229_183316.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 25

HemiDude

Reaction score
I don't know how many new vehicles you have purchased, but almost none of mine have matched what the stickers say. Those ratings are a model-wide average, or in some cases taken from the most efficient variation of a given model. Does it suck? Yes. Is it deceptive? Maybe, if one hasn't done their homework. Is it illegal? No, but I think it should be. My advice on trading in a 700 mile truck is just that, advice. Just know that that a Rebel is never going to get great MPG, but they are great looking trucks.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
What's important to me is the fact that the window sticker stated one thing and in actuality it is false. Trade in a brand new 2022 truck with 700 miles on it? Great advice......
If you read my post again, the fill issue is not a gauge issue. It seems to be some sort of venting issue that won't physically allow me to properly fill the tank the last 1/8 of the way.
Look at the combined gas mileage in my picture. You think that's acceptable based on the sticker claims?
Those window sticker numbers are calculated under the most perfect driving conditions at like 40 mph. You or anyone will never see those perfect conditions ever. There are so many variables that affect your mpg. Weather, road condition, idle time, the weight of your right foot, the weight of your cargo and your driving habits in general along with the quality of gas will all come into play when it comes to fuel efficiency. Give it some time and the mpg will rise slightly but if you're looking for good fuel efficiency then you bought the wrong vehicle. I have a 21 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.7 and I for the most part drive like a little old lady going to church and only tow on occasion. In the warmer weather I get between 14 and 15 mpg mostly town/city driving. Now that the cold New England weather is here it drops to the low to mid 12 mpg.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes some.here on this forum had the same filling up issue, you can search it up to see watch was their fix (i dont remember)

for gas, give it time.to break in, you only have 700miles on it, wait aroud 3k to 4k miles it should improve a little bit, that and as mention by hemidude, the winter gas. the 2 of them together might get you in the 18 to 19 mpg range (highway)... but also.has.mention you choose a offroad version, the rebel, the rebel.is higher then regular truck so less aerodynamic, it has bigger and more tread agressive desing too, so that takes more gas too

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would suggest that you check the mpg manually, you might be even more disappointed, I know that my truck almost always has worse mpg than what it shows in the display, but my truck has the diesel, you might be lucky and perhaps your truck will be getting better than what is displays.
My truck is also a Rebel and the best I can get is 3 mpg (highway) lower than the window sticker and that is in the summer.
Like someone mentioned earlier, If you live in the northern states your mpg will suffer in the winter.
Does your truck have the regular gas tank? Maybe your gas gauge is for the larger tank? Ha ha
I have fueled up my truck many times and it has happened at some gas stations that I just could not totally squeeze the pump trigger all the way without it kicking off.
I don’t know what you were driving before you bought your Rebel, but if you came from a car you will be hurting every time you gas up, and you only have 700 miles!

MO Rebel

Reaction score
F14D3862-89F7-4317-8116-83EB99B8355E.png
Here is real world gas mileage on a 2022 Rebel 5.7 w/o e-Torque. Date - miles - gallons - hand-calculated mpg/lie-o-meter mpg. I do occasionally tow a 16’ flatbed w/ 2 4-wheelers. This is probably 50/50 city/highway driving with very minimal idle time. This is nowhere close to the advertised sticker of 15/17/21 mpg, but I never expected it to be. Did I say I absolutely love this truck?
7C729137-CCCE-4889-9FB6-D0BAA06F71D1.jpeg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
View attachment 148596
Here is real world gas mileage on a 2022 Rebel 5.7 w/o e-Torque. Date - miles - gallons - hand-calculated mpg/lie-o-meter mpg. I do occasionally tow a 16’ flatbed w/ 2 4-wheelers. This is probably 50/50 city/highway driving with very minimal idle time. This is nowhere close to the advertised sticker of 15/17/21 mpg, but I never expected it to be. Did I say I absolutely love this truck?
View attachment 148595

That's a good job, I would love that mpg :)

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Some more real world mpg. Running 88 octane. From northern Pa, to western NC, to nashville tn, back to pa. So lots of mountains and running around 75. With wife, dogs, luggage, and a street bike.

29hrs, 1818 miles, average mpg was 21.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yes is is a 4wd

Attachments

• 41B611CF-F8EC-4656-A9D4-C8BE84E716E8.jpeg
    41B611CF-F8EC-4656-A9D4-C8BE84E716E8.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 54AA66FC-32F1-44AF-8B2C-9FBDD5FC48FD.jpeg
    54AA66FC-32F1-44AF-8B2C-9FBDD5FC48FD.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 29

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some more real world mpg. Running 88 octane. From northern Pa, to western NC, to nashville tn, back to pa. So lots of mountains and running around 75. With wife, dogs, luggage, and a street bike.

29hrs, 1818 miles, average mpg was 21.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this a lowered Rebel?
allharley has a Rebel.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
"For the sticker, the EPA assumes a car is driven 15,000 miles, and the calculation is based on its combined miles-per-gallon rating, merging city and highway test results"

meaning if you get what window sticker says feel lucky!

Users who are viewing this thread