5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

BB22

Reaction score
Yes, definitely agree. Only criticism I have is that FCA had the ability to adjust the EPA rating on Rebels, but choose not to. GM however did that on the Trail Boss, lowering it accordingly do to the off-road tires and setup of the truck.

Not illegal, but not exactly being up front I would say. Again, I'm familiar with the configuration to know better, but plenty of new truck and RAM buyers these last few years who will see a 15 city / 22 highway on a Rebel window sticker who don't realize how off that is. When in reality it's closer to 12 city / 16 highway, that may surprise some of them.
It is definitely deceptive on FCAs part not to have adjusted the mpg figures for the Rebel. Before I bought my Rebel, I looked at the window sticker mpg figures and because it had the E Torque Hemi, I figured that it would compensate for the higher ride height, 392 gears and Duratrac tires but it does not. I never thought that my 2022 Rebel with the new technology would get worse mileage than my 2017 Ram Sport.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Used to get decent mileage in my 14, but my 19 is horrible. Mine sits around 28 litres, that’s around 8 mpg - no joke.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed in this truck - and has been noted many times throughout this thread - gas mileage drops off significantly after 65mph, particularly since I have the 3.92 gear. Cruise control also murders mpgs. What kills it most for me is our lack of any flat ground here in the KY hill country. I was averaging 17-18mpg overall before the dead of winter. Now I'm closer to 15-16mpg with my remote starts. Ahh well. It's a truck. My last truck got a little better mpg but drank 93 so I'm still to the good.

TSL

Reaction score
A remote cold start doesn't necessarily mean extended idling. Some may do that, but I usually cold start from 20 ft away, once I get seated and belted, I am off. My truck will likely idle on about 30 seconds to 1 minute max before I start driving.

There are plenty of threads about RAM mpg in this forum, it's not BS, these trucks suck down fuel depending on several variables. The tire size and type, the type of driving you do, even elevation of the roads you drive have a big effect. A flat road versus one with lots of elevation changes can be night and day with mpg.

Most of the complaints come from Rebel owners, because the 1" lift, 33" Duratracs and 3.92 axles along with a window sticker EPA rating that is exactly the same as a regular street oriented RAM with street tires. You are allowed an exception by the EPA to adjust mpg down based on trim, which is what GM did with the Trail Boss, considering it had 32" Duratracs tires, they dropped the EPA rating by 2 mpg to be more accurate. FCA, however choose to not adjust the rating at all. People who aren't familiar with trucks were likely in for a shock, hence all these threads.

No one wants to brag about low mpg, these statements aren't fake, depending on your own variables, you can get close to the sticker or way off. I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting into by being a truck owner for decades. I know that 33" A/Ts and a 3.92 axle ratio was not going to get me anywhere near the EPA rating on the sticker, which by the way was the same rating on a Laramie with street tires. That's what is BS here.
Been following this thread with interest. I'm shortly going to be a first time truck owner....and I've ordered a '22 Rebel, hahaha ! At least I am now mentally getting prepared for 15mpg on average from reading this thread. I was probably hoping for 18mpg but that does look like wishful thinking from what I read here. Current vehicle is a '07 Outback ( 2.5L 4 cylinder turbo ). It gets 22mpg on Premium in mixed driving. By mixed I mean probably 30% urban driving, but not "stop and go gridlock" either.
I'm estimating anywhere from $500 to $750 per year more gas costs with the truck, depending obviously on gas prices and how much I drive.
I had been thinking I'd sell the Subaru to help pay off the truck ( I'm in the Pacific NW which is "Subaru country", so I'd find a market for it. Also I recently had major work done on it, I threw a rod and wound up putting a brand new short block in it and getting the heads and valves machined. Along with a recent new clutch & timing belt it's almost new under the hood! ), however, I'm beginning to think I should hang onto it and use it for a "grocery getter" / short errands to town, and use the truck for "truck stuff" - hiking / camping trips, going to the woods for firewood, longer road trips etc. I could also use the Subaru for the kids to learn to drive in, and that way they'll learn to drive a stick shift :) Although whether or not I should start them off in a 240hp Subaru is another story, it's got a lot of get up and go !

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's not the wind resistance as much as it's the rpm's. At 65 mph, a 3.92 geared truck is getting 20 mpg. A 3.21 truck at the same speed is getting 25 mpg.
You would think so. I notice that with this truck it also depends on the wind itself as well as the road. I can set the cruise at 65 on a bumpy road with a strong head wind and instant mpg will show 17 to 19 mpg. On the flip side, I’ve driven 80 mph with a strong tail wind in a smooth road and made 21 mpg. Guess it because these trucks are pretty big and heavy.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been following this thread with interest. I'm shortly going to be a first time truck owner....and I've ordered a '22 Rebel, hahaha ! At least I am now mentally getting prepared for 15mpg on average from reading this thread. I was probably hoping for 18mpg but that does look like wishful thinking from what I read here. Current vehicle is a '07 Outback ( 2.5L 4 cylinder turbo ). It gets 22mpg on Premium in mixed driving. By mixed I mean probably 30% urban driving, but not "stop and go gridlock" either.
I'm estimating anywhere from $500 to $750 per year more gas costs with the truck, depending obviously on gas prices and how much I drive.
I had been thinking I'd sell the Subaru to help pay off the truck ( I'm in the Pacific NW which is "Subaru country", so I'd find a market for it. Also I recently had major work done on it, I threw a rod and wound up putting a brand new short block in it and getting the heads and valves machined. Along with a recent new clutch & timing belt it's almost new under the hood! ), however, I'm beginning to think I should hang onto it and use it for a "grocery getter" / short errands to town, and use the truck for "truck stuff" - hiking / camping trips, going to the woods for firewood, longer road trips etc. I could also use the Subaru for the kids to learn to drive in, and that way they'll learn to drive a stick shift :) Although whether or not I should start them off in a 240hp Subaru is another story, it's got a lot of get up and go !

As someone who has owned many vehicles of many types, currently have an E90 sedan (manual), Crossfire coupe (manual), Lexus ES300 and Toyota C-HR, I have pretty good choices of vehicles that get decent to good mpg. I will say that if you have a manual, you may want to hold on to it, they are getting harder to find and you fixed the number one issue with that gen of Subaru, the engine. You have defused that ticking time bomb.

Also, it's nice to have a beater where you are less worried about door ding and stuff like that such as a busy grocery store. That Subaru seems to check off a lot of things if you get what I mean.

Based on your driving, if you are easy with your right foot, you may be able to hit 15 mpg mixed. You got a Costco in your area I hope or an ARCO for cheaper Top Tier fuel? I will say I love my Rebel. It's the first vehicle I've owned in the last decade where I haven't become bored of it after 2 years. I may just keep this one for a while :)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed in this truck - and has been noted many times throughout this thread - gas mileage drops off significantly after 65mph, particularly since I have the 3.92 gear. Cruise control also murders mpgs. What kills it most for me is our lack of any flat ground here in the KY hill country. I was averaging 17-18mpg overall before the dead of winter. Now I'm closer to 15-16mpg with my remote starts. Ahh well. It's a truck. My last truck got a little better mpg but drank 93 so I'm still to the good.
Get some of my best on cruise(ACC)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would think so. I notice that with this truck it also depends on the wind itself as well as the road. I can set the cruise at 65 on a bumpy road with a strong head wind and instant mpg will show 17 to 19 mpg. On the flip side, I’ve driven 80 mph with a strong tail wind in a smooth road and made 21 mpg. Guess it because these trucks are pretty big and heavy.
They are bricks with wheels. Good MPG is not a given, but a plus when you do get it.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the reason folks say using cruise control kills fuel mileage?
Seems that trying to hold a particular speed with steady, moderate acceleration is worse than going pretty well past the speed you actually want to go and then easing off/coasting and letting the inertia/momentum of the big @$$ truck carry itself for a while.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems that trying to hold a particular speed with steady, moderate acceleration is worse than going pretty well past the speed you actually want to go and then easing off/coasting and letting the inertia/momentum of the big @$$ truck carry itself for a while.
Cruise isn't the problem, he!! bent speed is. Highways and freeways at truck speed and I get pretty much 20+. But then, I'm retired and don't need to get anyplace before I left.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I'm a pilot, so I am very well versed on the effects of drag and wind component on fuel burn.

Wind resistance is definitely a factor, but both trucks in my example have the identical amount of drag. The effects of drag are exponential. At certain speeds, as speed doubles, drag can quadruple. At the speeds we drive, that's not usually the case.

On flat terrain, the cruise control is a fuel saving device because it holds your speed steady. You won't be chasing the speed back and forth, causing unnecessary fuel burn. In hilly terrain, it's a detriment because it can't anticipate an approaching hill like we can. Driving manually when approaching a hill, a smart driver will slowly apply more throttle before the truck begins to decelerate. Depending on the steepness of the hill, your anticipation might allow you to stay in a higher gear. Because the cruise control can't anticipate, your truck decelerates to the point that it needs to downshift to maintain that speed.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I think where we are today is way better than many years ago. My last truck was 2001 dodge 1500 4WD extended cab short bed and I was getting 10 mpg with mostly highway driving. This was a truck that only made under 300 HP and I think it was just over 300 Tq (360 engine). I now have the longest truck I have ever had and I would guess the heaviest and I get 14 -15 with mostly in town driving and have seen 19 on the highway that is after leveling and aftermarket rims and tires with 392 gears. Fuel efficiency has come a long way, do I think It could be better, sure, but it is a truck at 6000 pounds with bad wind drag when compared to a car. I came back to a truck from driving a 2018 Challenger T/A 392 with 370 gears averaging around 16 mpg and burning 93 octane. If you want great gas mileage these are not the vehicles for you. Go buy a little Honda and enjoy.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
What is the reason folks say using cruise control kills fuel mileage?
Depending on the terrain you live in, the driver can predict hills and curves better than cruise control can. I can speed up a little before a hill and keep my truck in 8th gear whereas the cruise control will panic when it feels the incline and rev to the moon. Cruise does just fine on flat ground. We just don't have any of that here.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not the wind resistance as much as it's the rpm's. At 65 mph, a 3.92 geared truck is getting 20 mpg. A 3.21 truck at the same speed is getting 25 mpg.
I'm good up to about 75 MPH before my MPGs start to noticeably drop off.

My sweet spot is 70-75 MPH. 65 MPH puts me about 1500 RPM with my 3.21 and is a little below the oomph it needs to hold 8th on anything more than some headwind or slight incline.

At 75 MPH I'm at 1750 RPM and the truck is happy in 8th for just about my entire commute to/from work in cruise control.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I think where we are today is way better than many years ago. My last truck was 2001 dodge 1500 4WD extended cab short bed and I was getting 10 mpg with mostly highway driving. This was a truck that only made under 300 HP and I think it was just over 300 Tq (360 engine). I now have the longest truck I have ever had and I would guess the heaviest and I get 14 -15 with mostly in town driving and have seen 19 on the highway that is after leveling and aftermarket rims and tires with 392 gears. Fuel efficiency has come a long way, do I think It could be better, sure, but it is a truck at 6000 pounds with bad wind drag when compared to a car. I came back to a truck from driving a 2018 Challenger T/A 392 with 370 gears averaging around 16 mpg and burning 93 octane. If you want great gas mileage these are not the vehicles for you. Go buy a little Honda and enjoy.
I agree. Compared to trucks of old these things sip gas. My last full size was a retired M880. An old 1977 Dodge W200 full time 4x4 with Dana 60s front and rear. 318 motor that barely had horsepower to get out of its own way. It was a beast in 4 low though.

It got a whopping 8 mpg! It could just chew up Hondas, suck the gas out of them and spit them in the ditch as it went down the road. It had a carbon footprint you could clean up with a shovel.

Ah the good ol' days.

TSL

Reaction score
As someone who has owned many vehicles of many types, currently have an E90 sedan (manual), Crossfire coupe (manual), Lexus ES300 and Toyota C-HR, I have pretty good choices of vehicles that get decent to good mpg. I will say that if you have a manual, you may want to hold on to it, they are getting harder to find and you fixed the number one issue with that gen of Subaru, the engine. You have defused that ticking time bomb.

Also, it's nice to have a beater where you are less worried about door ding and stuff like that such as a busy grocery store. That Subaru seems to check off a lot of things if you get what I mean.

Based on your driving, if you are easy with your right foot, you may be able to hit 15 mpg mixed. You got a Costco in your area I hope or an ARCO for cheaper Top Tier fuel? I will say I love my Rebel. It's the first vehicle I've owned in the last decade where I haven't become bored of it after 2 years. I may just keep this one for a while :)
Top Tier Fuel.... I'm familiar with the term and understand it means better quality gasoline, but have't put much effort into researching the details and how important it is to use Top Tier gas. Yes, we do have Costco in our area, although it's not on my "regular beat" these days, nearest one is about 17 miles away and it's a special trip, usually go there once a month or so. Typically we buy gas from our local Fred Meyer ( grocery chain owned by Kroger ). We get 10c / gal off for every 100 bucks spent ( which happens alarmingly quickly in grocery stores these days ! ). However, I just did a quick check, and it seems that Kroger / Fred Meyer may NOT be Top Tier certified. Here's one article , https://firstquarterfinance.com/fred-meyer-gas-quality/ . Hmmm. Now I got some thinkin' to do ! After rebuilding the Subaru I don't want to compromise it with bad gas ! Nor do I want to get off on the wrong foot with the Rebel once it arrives.
By the way, I think you are right and I should think carefully before parting with the Subaru. If nothing else, it's a fun car to drive, especially being a manual. I'm currently running Falken Wildpeaks on it ( which I thought might hurt the gas mileage but didn't seem to make a noticeable difference ), and it's just super solid on the road ( and off the road !)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Top Tier Fuel.... I'm familiar with the term and understand it means better quality gasoline, but have't put much effort into researching the details and how important it is to use Top Tier gas.
"Back in the day" I had no problem putting additives in vehicles. Now with all the new technology and sensitivity of sensors and programming I do not mess with that any more.

I stick to Top Tier fuel and do not add any fuel additives and do not "home brew" my oil any more. IMO too much chance of something going wrong with how complicated and sensitive systems are nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online