5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That mpg is from my bro in laws 2019 raptor. Pretty sure those have 35s.

I have not recalibrated my speedometer. It seems to line up with gps speed on like google maps or whatnot. Sounds like I have a little project to look into :)

Make sure to use an independent gps app on your phone.

And don’t plug your phone into your truck while using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
At current prices ($4.69/gal for 91 octane) it's a double swipe if I get below 3/8 of a tank. I either do one swipe and call it a day or do the double-swipe if some elitist is eyeballing me from their plug-in hybrid that's behind me waiting. :cool:

Which San Diego Costco at $4.69? Today at my station, 91 did just go up to $4.55 for Costco's, Southbay is my neck of the woods. Oil jumped to 8 year highs yesterday, expect prices to jump again. Regular is still $4.25 at the moment, better top off the Toyota before that goes up too.

I just came back from a trip in the UK, the gas we were getting, calculating for US gallon (3.8L) to the USD was almost $8 a freakin gallon!

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Poway Costco. It was $4.59 when I filled up last Friday and jumped 10 cents this weekend when I filled up my wife's Ranger yesterday.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Poway Costco. It was $4.59 when I filled up last Friday and jumped 10 cents this weekend when I filled up my wife's Ranger yesterday.

We are getting pretty close to the historical high of 2011 or so, which it was $4 in Cali, something like $5.11 if you include inflation. Plenty of Shells are already at that level.

What's scary is how little people are complaining, you hear some light grumbles here and there, but overall just seems to be whatever. I guess we all assume gas will drop again in a few months, but it may not drop back to where it was before because they (whoever that is) thinks we are getting used to it and will accept it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which San Diego Costco at $4.69? Today at my station, 91 did just go up to $4.55 for Costco's, Southbay is my neck of the woods. Oil jumped to 8 year highs yesterday, expect prices to jump again. Regular is still $4.25 at the moment, better top off the Toyota before that goes up too.

I just came back from a trip in the UK, the gas we were getting, calculating for US gallon (3.8L) to the USD was almost $8 a freakin gallon!
You don’t have to go all the way to UK to find expensive gas, just go in Northern Ontario Canada, regular gas is $1.689 per litre, our Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres so $7.668 per gallon. Diesel is slightly cheaper at $1.559 per litre so I pay $7.07 per gallon to fill my Rebel, 100 litre tank cost me $155 bucks.
I’m on my second month of retirement, no more traveling to work, I fuel up once per month, traveling America towing a small travel trailer this summer is getting costlier with these crazyfuel prices.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You don’t have to go all the way to UK to find expensive gas, just go in Northern Ontario Canada, regular gas is $1.689 per litre, our Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres so $7.668 per gallon. Diesel is slightly cheaper at $1.559 per litre so I pay $7.07 per gallon to fill my Rebel, 100 litre tank cost me $155 bucks.
I’m on my second month of retirement, no more traveling to work, I fuel up once per month, traveling America towing a small travel trailer this summer is getting costlier with these crazyfuel prices.
Is that in Canadian dollars or real dollars? 😆

killerformula

Reaction score
"cruise control" there's your first problem

"flat surface" where did you find one, I'd love to know 😅

"70 mph" there's your second problem.

Don't use cruise, stay around 65, you'll see a noticeable improvement.

There are plenty of flat surfaces around here not sure why that's so strange. Whether I'm in cruise or not, the mileage at 70 is the same.

I have gotten better mileage going slower and babying the truck, but nobody drives less than 75 on the turnpike here on the east coast.

Driven like a normal human this truck gets 14.5.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are plenty of flat surfaces around here not sure why that's so strange. Whether I'm in cruise or not, the mileage at 70 is the same.

I have gotten better mileage going slower and babying the truck, but nobody drives less than 75 on the turnpike here on the east coast.

Driven like a normal human this truck gets 14.5.
More of a joke about how in my area there's almost no such thing. Everything is a grade one way or the other. I imagine there's plenty of long flat stretches in line Arizona or Oklahoma but not around me.

And everyone's normal human driving is different, that should be obvious. If I baby it, I get close to 18, my normal is like 16.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I filled up at Murphy USA yesterday. It was $2.90 with my Walmart+ discount

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think he is quoting CAD, I think if you do the conversion to 3.8L, which is the US gallon and do the conversion from CAD to USD, its a little over $5 per gallon. Which means that Canada and Cali have similar gas prices, which sucks!
I forgot to show your 🇺🇸 gallon, still not cheap $6.38 CAD per gallon.

You’re absolutely right with the currency exchange, it would cost you close to $4.78 per gallon if you gas up here, for me to gas up in California (if my truck was not diesel) with the currency exchange it would be close to what I pay here.

I’ve never driven to California but have driven several times south to Florida, there is a gas saving as soon as I cross the eastern border, but the saving is not big after the currency exchange.
I think he is quoting CAD, I think if you do the conversion to 3.8L, which is the US gallon and do the conversion from CAD to USD, its a little over $5 per gallon. Which means that Canada and Cali have similar gas prices, which sucks!
The gas went up again today, $1.739 per litre X 3.78 litres (US gallon)=$6.57 CAD or $5.25 USD (20% exchange rate) and like you said it sucks.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I forgot to show your 🇺🇸 gallon, still not cheap $6.38 CAD per gallon.

You’re absolutely right with the currency exchange, it would cost you close to $4.78 per gallon if you gas up here, for me to gas up in California (if my truck was not diesel) with the currency exchange it would be close to what I pay here.

I’ve never driven to California but have driven several times south to Florida, there is a gas saving as soon as I cross the eastern border, but the saving is not big after the currency exchange.

The gas went up again today, $1.739 per litre X 3.78 litres (US gallon)=$6.57 CAD or $5.25 USD (20% exchange rate) and like you said it sucks.
Yea, to bad we can't get fuel back and forth easily between our countries. You know a pipeline would probably help that.......

MontFla

Reaction score
I filled up at Murphy USA yesterday. It was $2.90 with my Walmart+ discount
Murphy is good for revving up on Mondays and only filling up when you have a huge discount. The gas sucks. Make sure to run top tier often and not Murphy all the time.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Murphy is good for revving up on Mondays and only filling up when you have a huge discount. The gas sucks. Make sure to run top tier often and not Murphy all the time.
Don’t have a top tier station near me.
Murphy been workin good so far 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread