5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is 14.5 everywhere I go and I drive pretty conservatively. Even cruise control on a flat surface at 70 mph is 14 or 15 mpg. It is what it is, I guess!

If I reset my mpg computer while on the highway, I can get 19 mpg. However, any city driving of any kind and that drops me down to about 15.5 mpg with about 90% highway.

That's what I got for the last long drive was about 300 miles round trip, maybe 10-15 of those miles were in the city, very little traffic and about 75 mph mostly on the highway, and the best I could do was 15.5 mpg. But 3.92 axle and 33" tires on a Rebel, it is what it is.

Funny, if you told me one day I would own a vehicle that only gets me 11-13 mpg on my normal (mostly city) drives, and I would be putting in premium fuel (Costco 91, cheaper than most others 87), I would have laughed in your face. But now, I don't blink twice, you somehow get use to it. Probably because I work from home and have other more fuel efficient vehicles.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Stop bragging will ya :)
I was shocked. I normally have MPG's displayed on the right side of the cluster, but this tank I turned it off. I looked at it today and just laughed. I'm going to leave it that way...it's more fun just driving it hard. Remote starts are so sweet in cold weather.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was shocked. I normally have MPG's displayed on the right side of the cluster, but this tank I turned it off. I looked at it today and just laughed. I'm going to leave it that way...it's more fun just driving it hard. Remote starts are so sweet in cold weather.

I should do that too, stop looking at that mpg rating, lol. Yes, I love the cold start, especially with my aggressive muffler, sounds a 60s muscle car.

BigD

Reaction score
People who say they are getting well below the sticker are not taking into consideration how long they are letting their truck sit & idle in the driveway before going somewhere. Reset your thing as soon as u actually pull out of the driveway. I have no problem getting close to what the sticker says. I call b.s. on all these poor gas milage posts.

BigD

Reaction score
Btw- it is terrible for your motor to let it idle for extended periods of time. That's why u never want to buy an old cop car at an auction! 2 or 3 minutes is plenty for the fluids to lubricate everything before taking off. If your cold put on a hat & gloves ! Before anyone comments & says that's why I trade them in every 3 years, I say that's why I would NEVER buy used !! There are of course a lot of other reasons not to buy used though.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Btw- it is terrible for your motor to let it idle for extended periods of time. That's why u never want to buy an old cop car at an auction! 2 or 3 minutes is plenty for the fluids to lubricate everything before taking off. If your cold put on a hat & gloves ! Before anyone comments & says that's why I trade them in every 3 years, I say that's why I would NEVER buy used !! There are of course a lot of other reasons not to buy used though.
You're not wrong but I definitely think it matters what you're driving. It just seems like vehicles are more durable thede days, mechanically speaking. A couple of decades ago I was a private investigator. 100% travel. The first year they hit, I bought a Scion tC because it was cheap and had decent mileage and they seemed mostly pieced together from Toyota's existing parts bin anyway. I put close to 200,000 miles on it in about 3 years before it was totaled out in a head on collision by a guy who fell asleep behind the wheel.

I idled that thing daily. And in the summers it was a LOT. The only repair it ever needed was a new A/C clutch fan (from all the idling). All I ever did was the recommended maintenance schedule (and stuff like brakes and tires of course). Sometimes I still miss that little thing just because it was so rock solid.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is 14.5 everywhere I go and I drive pretty conservatively. Even cruise control on a flat surface at 70 mph is 14 or 15 mpg. It is what it is, I guess!
"cruise control" there's your first problem

"flat surface" where did you find one, I'd love to know 😅

"70 mph" there's your second problem.

Don't use cruise, stay around 65, you'll see a noticeable improvement.

BB22

Reaction score
I've had my 22 Rebel 5.7 E Torque since late October. The best I could squeeze out of it was 18.6 mpg on an all highway trip. Back and forth to work, 50% highway and 50% city I average 16.5. I am driving it extremely conservatively. My 17 Ram Sport with the standard 5.7 would average 17.5, driving it Hard all the time! If I drove the 22 that way I drove the 17, I'm sure I'd be down to no more than 14mpg. I personally think the E Torque is totally ineffective and just a ploy to get people to think they are saving fuel by buying a "mild hybrid "vehicle.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"cruise control" there's your first problem

"flat surface" where did you find one, I'd love to know 😅

"70 mph" there's your second problem.

Don't use cruise, stay around 65, you'll see a noticeable improvement.
💯

Listen people, I hypermill a freaking 4 cylinder Camry to work and home every day. If driving style can be a 3-4mpg difference on a Camry, just guess what it does with a truck.

Even on my old Trans Am with headers and full exhaust I could get 30mpg on the highway or I could get 18mpg. The choice was mine 🤣

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my 22 Rebel 5.7 E Torque since late October. The best I could squeeze out of it was 18.6 mpg on an all highway trip. Back and forth to work, 50% highway and 50% city I average 16.5. I am driving it extremely conservatively. My 17 Ram Sport with the standard 5.7 would average 17.5, driving it Hard all the time! If I drove the 22 that way I drove the 17, I'm sure I'd be down to no more than 14mpg. I personally think the E Torque is totally ineffective and just a ploy to get people to think they are saving fuel by buying a "mild hybrid "vehicle.
18.6 isn't bad with 3.92 gears and the bump in ride height.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
18.6 isn't bad with 3.92 gears and the bump in ride height.
Yeah, my best tank ever (in 40 months of ownership) was 17.1 mpg. The ORG, AS, 3.92s and everything else make for a heavy truck with a lot of revs at highway speeds. I’ll never get 18+ for a tank without driving 500 miles at 50 mph and no/few stops.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I leave mine on all the time but really I get the same effect since I have to dig up my reading glasses to see the little numbers. 🤓

Thank goodness the main screen has the option for giant speedometer numbers. I don't have to paint reference points on the cover of where the needle should be on the regular one. 😄

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What mostly kills mine is remote starts, drive they’d, and getting down at lowes while leaving my wife in the running truck 🤷🏻‍♂️

SD Rebel

Reaction score
People who say they are getting well below the sticker are not taking into consideration how long they are letting their truck sit & idle in the driveway before going somewhere. Reset your thing as soon as u actually pull out of the driveway. I have no problem getting close to what the sticker says. I call b.s. on all these poor gas milage posts.

A remote cold start doesn't necessarily mean extended idling. Some may do that, but I usually cold start from 20 ft away, once I get seated and belted, I am off. My truck will likely idle on about 30 seconds to 1 minute max before I start driving.

There are plenty of threads about RAM mpg in this forum, it's not BS, these trucks suck down fuel depending on several variables. The tire size and type, the type of driving you do, even elevation of the roads you drive have a big effect. A flat road versus one with lots of elevation changes can be night and day with mpg.

Most of the complaints come from Rebel owners, because the 1" lift, 33" Duratracs and 3.92 axles along with a window sticker EPA rating that is exactly the same as a regular street oriented RAM with street tires. You are allowed an exception by the EPA to adjust mpg down based on trim, which is what GM did with the Trail Boss, considering it had 32" Duratracs tires, they dropped the EPA rating by 2 mpg to be more accurate. FCA, however choose to not adjust the rating at all. People who aren't familiar with trucks were likely in for a shock, hence all these threads.

No one wants to brag about low mpg, these statements aren't fake, depending on your own variables, you can get close to the sticker or way off. I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting into by being a truck owner for decades. I know that 33" A/Ts and a 3.92 axle ratio was not going to get me anywhere near the EPA rating on the sticker, which by the way was the same rating on a Laramie with street tires. That's what is BS here.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A remote cold start doesn't necessarily mean extended idling. Some may do that, but I usually cold start from 20 ft away, once I get seated and belted, I am off. My truck will likely idle on about 30 seconds to 1 minute max before I start driving.

There are plenty of threads about RAM mpg in this forum, it's not BS, these trucks suck down fuel depending on several variables. The tire size and type, the type of driving you do, even elevation of the roads you drive have a big effect. A flat road versus one with lots of elevation changes can be night and day with mpg.

Most of the complaints come from Rebel owners, because the 1" lift, 33" Duratracs and 3.92 axles along with a window sticker EPA rating that is exactly the same as a regular street oriented RAM with street tires. You are allowed an exception by the EPA to adjust mpg down based on trim, which is what GM did with the Trail Boss, considering it had 32" Duratracs tires, they dropped the EPA rating by 2 mpg to be more accurate. FCA, however choose to not adjust the rating at all. People who aren't familiar with trucks were likely in for a shock, hence all these threads.

No one wants to brag about low mpg, these statements aren't fake, depending on your own variables, you can get close to the sticker or way off. I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting into by being a truck owner for decades. I know that 33" A/Ts and a 3.92 axle ratio was not going to get me anywhere near the EPA rating on the sticker, which by the way was the same rating on a Laramie with street tires. That's what is BS here.
Pretty much all EPA ratings are like that though, they assume optimal conditions because they can…even though it makes no sense lol.

My Cherokee actually did better than it's EPA ratings, but my Grand Cherokee and my Ram have definitely been worse, though the Ram has actually been closer than the JGC was.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty much all EPA ratings are like that though, they assume optimal conditions because they can…even though it makes no sense lol.

My Cherokee actually did better than it's EPA ratings, but my Grand Cherokee and my Ram have definitely been worse, though the Ram has actually been closer than the JGC was.
My mom's Grand Cherokee can have pretty wild EPA. Like 14mpg in town and then on the flip side I can hit back roads going to my family property and get 27MPG cruising at 55-60mph.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Yes, definitely agree. Only criticism I have is that FCA had the ability to adjust the EPA rating on Rebels, but choose not to. GM however did that on the Trail Boss, lowering it accordingly do to the off-road tires and setup of the truck.

Not illegal, but not exactly being up front I would say. Again, I'm familiar with the configuration to know better, but plenty of new truck and RAM buyers these last few years who will see a 15 city / 22 highway on a Rebel window sticker who don't realize how off that is. When in reality it's closer to 12 city / 16 highway, that may surprise some of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• TSL