5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Reverse

Reaction score
To the posters here reminding us that you do not buy a truck to get good gas mileage: you are absolutely right.

However, that does not explain why my 2020 Limited with all the gas-saving doodads sucks more fuel (gets abt. 1.5mpg less in same drive cycle) than our 2014 Big Horn.

The 2014 Big Horn doesn't have any of the supposedly fuel saving features that the Limited does have:
- active grill shutters
- e-torque
- lowering to aero
- active spoiler up front
- start-stop
-

The weight of the trucks is within a few lbs of each other, they have the same 3.92 diff, same 4x4, same 5.7 engine, etc.
I use the same synthetic oil in both, and fill it up with the same gasoline.
The only real difference is the 22" tires vs 20" tires.

I was expecting a modest increase in mpg, not a 1.5mpg decrease.

The only car reviewers online who made a stink about this were TFL trucks, but even they did not get a satisfactory answer from Ram afaik, so no chance we'll ever get clarification on this.

U

User_3336

The only car reviewers online who made a stink about this were TFL trucks, but even they did not get a satisfactory answer from Ram afaik, so no chance we'll ever get clarification on this.

Don't be holding your breath waiting for a response.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the posters here reminding us that you do not buy a truck to get good gas mileage: you are absolutely right.

However, that does not explain why my 2020 Limited with all the gas-saving doodads sucks more fuel (gets abt. 1.5mpg less in same drive cycle) than our 2014 Big Horn.
They are two different trucks. They look similar and have the same-ish powerplant but all the computers, programming, and parts are different.

The DT is an "all-new" truck, not just a refresh. Since it is a re-design all bets are off for comparing your DT (5th gen) to your DS (4th gen).

Reverse

Reaction score
They are two different trucks. They look similar and have the same-ish powerplant but all the computers, programming, and parts are different.

The DT is an "all-new" truck, not just a refresh. Since it is a re-design all bets are off for comparing your DT (5th gen) to your DS (4th gen).

Relatively speaking, and this is according to Ram itself, there should have been a 18% improvement in fuel mileage between the two trucks. Instead, it's almost 10% worse. That's quite a difference. (screenshots are directly from the Munroney forms for my two trucks).

1626794850196.png

1626794950434.png

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Relatively speaking, and this is according to Ram itself, there should have been a 18% improvement in fuel mileage between the two trucks. Instead, it's almost 10% worse. That's quite a difference. (screenshots are directly from the Munroney forms for my two trucks).

View attachment 100463

View attachment 100467
Thats because your 2014 Ram is a trimmed down, lean mean fighting machine Bighorn. Now you have a big fat lazy Limited. Often times Limiteds weigh up to 800 lbs more than a Bighorn. Also, further compounding the issue, the EPA sticker is based on a 2wd Tradesman

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My big fat lazy Bighorn gets 15-16 mpg overall (I checked almost all the option boxes).

I get that many thought "new truck, better mileage" but I never expected to get anywhere near the window sticker with a 10+ year old powerplant design.

For me 15 mpg was the realistic mark I set for acceptability for me. I didn't meet it by much but I'm happy with it. I burn through at least a tank a week (which is about $100 right now) so it doesn't take much of a change in fuel economy to affect my wallet.

As a reference I'm coming from a 2003 Ford F-250 diesel and I was getting about 15 mpg in that truck (8000 lbs, 4x4, 444ci big block). I was a little surprised to find out my new 5600-ish lbs small block gas V-8 truck gets about the same fuel economy. There's something said for simpler designs and less emissions monitoring/controls.

Nibis

Reaction score
Last month we took a trip from Missouri to Tennessee, before we hit the mountains, I stopped and filled up, checked my mileage, and we got 21 mpg. That was with my wife, 2 kids and our gear. Coming back I calculated the mpg's from the mountains, and we got 19. My normal weekly driving puts me at 18 to 19 mpg

Klicht87

Reaction score
I didn't read all the comments in this thread but I have seen many reports stating people are getting as low as 13MPGs. Something seems off on that. Not saying people are lying but seems like something is off on their trucks unless they are driving uphill both ways. I have a fully loaded laramie---air suspension, MFT, panoramic sunroof, e-torque, 22in wheels,3.92 ratio, and every electronic accessory -- I get around 17-18 City and 19-20 Highway. I hardly drive highway so my truck is taking a beating. I think that's pretty good for such a big/ heavy truck. I'm not sure if these people reporting such bad mileage are all in the same build timeframe but something seems wrong.
P.S. If you think your MDS is not activating, you can turn on and off the indicator through the U-Connect settings. It will activate as normal, minus the indicator.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Thats because your 2014 Ram is a trimmed down, lean mean fighting machine Bighorn. Now you have a big fat lazy Limited. Often times Limiteds weigh up to 800 lbs more than a Bighorn. Also, further compounding the issue, the EPA sticker is based on a 2wd Tradesman

The fact that RAM is permitted and chose to put the same window sticker on a higher trim packages with different specs as is on a 2wd Tradesman is not transparent and manipulative. That said, anyone expecting 22mpg from a truck that is very heavy with a 5.7L V8, large rims/tires and a 3.92 rear is not being realistic with expectations.

Mb7640

Reaction score
I just bought 2021 1500 warlock 4x4, 5.7l,3.92 gears. From 10 miles odometer - 200 miles was getting 14.0 mpg 90 percent hwy. 200-500 miles getting 17.5. I know it took awhile for my 5.7l Challengers to get mpg that the sticker said. I'm hoping to get 20mpg hwy if not oh well. I drive 80 miles a day 4 days a week to and from work.

BNeal

Reaction score
I just drove from TX to IL and back and managed to get between 20 - 21. I was really happy with that considering I was hauling about 800lbs in the back with two adults in the truck. Mine is FWD, 5.7 with 3.21. Driving to and from work I get about 17.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't read all the comments in this thread but I have seen many reports stating people are getting as low as 13MPGs. Something seems off on that. Not saying people are lying but seems like something is off on their trucks unless they are driving uphill both ways. I have a fully loaded laramie---air suspension, MFT, panoramic sunroof, e-torque, 22in wheels,3.92 ratio, and every electronic accessory -- I get around 17-18 City and 19-20 Highway. I hardly drive highway so my truck is taking a beating. I think that's pretty good for such a big/ heavy truck. I'm not sure if these people reporting such bad mileage are all in the same build timeframe but something seems wrong.
P.S. If you think your MDS is not activating, you can turn on and off the indicator through the U-Connect settings. It will activate as normal, minus the indicator.
I’m just shy of 1,000 miles on my truck but I’m in the 13-14 mpg range and 90-95% of my driving so far is city.

Reverse

Reaction score
My Limited and Bighorn weigh within abt. 200lbs of each other. And if both EPA stickers are based on Tradesman, then the relative fuel economy discrepancy still stands as a percentage.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well there goes that theory. Also, that's a pretty heavy Bighorn, or a light Limited

Klicht87

Reaction score
Have you guys with poor gas mileage tried disconnecting your battery to reset transmission memory data points and whatever else? Not sure if that would help

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fact that RAM is permitted and chose to put the same window sticker on a higher trim packages with different specs as is on a 2wd Tradesman is not transparent and manipulative. That said, anyone expecting 22mpg from a truck that is very heavy with a 5.7L V8, large rims/tires and a 3.92 rear is not being realistic with expectations.

Depends on your driving....I have what your describe plus a tow package and 4x4.....I get 21 to 22 on a regular basis.....see my earlier posts......I love the mileage.

Kicker0927

Reaction score
So I’m now about 1500 miles in on my 2021 Laramie 4x2 w/Hemi e-torque and I’m getting overall average of 14.5 around city and I have topped out at an overall average of 19 highway. I’d say my driving so far has been about 80% city and 20% highway.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
when I set the cruise at 55 - 60 the instant is 22 to 25mpg without MDS on fairly flat roads. 28 to 31 with MDS. Idling in drive thru's and convenient stores kills my mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online