5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So I have been running 91 Octane since new and thought I would try 87 Octane to see if the MPG improved.

I saw a bit of an improvement on the highway, getting about 22-24 mpg, compared to 18-20 mpg.

The only negative is that the initial throttle was a bit more lax and hard acceleration resulted in a bit of initial pinging.
I used to run 87 and couldn’t figure out what the “clicking” sound was. Finally I tried 91 to see if maybe it was pinging and sure enough that fixed it. Tried running 89 just to see and it still pinged. Glad to see I’m not the only one. My challenger with the 5.7 never once pinged with 87 so it’s annoying I have to 40 cents more per gallon in this truck

RammyShand

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque and 12,500 miles. I haven't seen anything over 13 mpg in the year and 5 months of ownership.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque and 12,500 miles. I haven't seen anything over 13 mpg in the year and 5 months of ownership.
What gears? Mostly city? Ours is not ET and 3.21 gears, 80% + highway.

I’ve never reset the mileage trip meter so thats actually the whole 12,800 some miles.

Attachments

• 1FA5ABA7-2BF0-41FD-951A-E653DAA6E22B.jpeg
    1FA5ABA7-2BF0-41FD-951A-E653DAA6E22B.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:

RammyShand

Reaction score
95% City 3.21 Gears

Even when I was driving 50% city and 50% highway, I was seeing 12ish mpg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Something wrong there. I am an admittedly slower accelerating and not zoomer driver but my spouse kinda’ makes up for me so there’s a balance. Try using better grade and octane, unsure what else to say, maybe too much idling?

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I have the V-6 with etorque, I’m averaging about 14 miles to the gallon total. The only time I t gets close to 18 is when I’m going 45 miles an hour on a country road. On the freeway, barely ever hit 16 on the flat.
First trip to the dealership they said there were no code, they said they’d call factory. Factory said if there’s no codes the problem is my driving. Of course the service manager also took it on the freeway for a 20 minute back-and-forth and couldn’t get over 16 either. I use the cruise control on the flat. The V-6 should be getting 19 to 24mpg, Ave 21
i’m ready to take this as far as I can including getting an attorney. This is $100 a month cost for me not to mention third more carbon going into the air. Keep the truck 10 years that’s $12,000. I’m waiting for the factory to call to discuss it, we’ll see.
I have the 1500 Rebel, loaded.

Zig10

Reaction score
I have the V-6 with etorque, I’m averaging about 14 miles to the gallon total. The only time I t gets close to 18 is when I’m going 45 miles an hour on a country road. On the freeway, barely ever hit 16 on the flat.
First trip to the dealership they said there were no code, they said they’d call factory. Factory said if there’s no codes the problem is my driving. Of course the service manager also took it on the freeway for a 20 minute back-and-forth and couldn’t get over 16 either. I use the cruise control on the flat. The V-6 should be getting 19 to 24mpg, Ave 21
i’m ready to take this as far as I can including getting an attorney. This is $100 a month cost for me not to mention third more carbon going into the air. Keep the truck 10 years that’s $12,000. I’m waiting for the factory to call to discuss it, we’ll see.
I'm seriously interested in the outcome of this conversation. I know the MPG is all over the map with these, but to see a V6 getting stuck on 14 MPG is pretty crazy, even with the Rebel package.

Good luck.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm seriously interested in the outcome of this conversation. I know the MPG is all over the map with these, but to see a V6 getting stuck on 14 MPG is pretty crazy, even with the Rebel package.

Good luck.

That is amazingly terrible MPGs...makes my 13 with the HEMI seem amazing!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a heavy truck to move, especially with E-rated tires. I'm surprised that FCA posted those numbers for the V-6. Hopefully they stand by those expectations and do you right. Good luck!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I doubt any EPA numbers listed on the sticker are for (his) that truck. Unless I have missed some recent thread on it, previous threads/posters have indicated that RAM used a Tradesman with maybe a quad cab as their EPA test mule.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I doubt any EPA numbers listed on the sticker are for (his) that truck. Unless I have missed some recent thread on it, previous threads/posters have indicated that RAM used a Tradesman with maybe a quad cab as their EPA test mule.
Specifically it was a two-wheel drive Tradesman, five gallons of gas, downhill, and with a tailwind

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember someone posting the trucks used to determine the EPA rating. Some other configurations besides a V-6 Tradesman but I'm sure they were bare-bones with no options.

I don't think it's as much for us as it is for their CAFE rating. FCA (Stellantis) has to make some fuel efficient vehicles if they want to keep putting the 392ci V-8 in more vehicles. ;)

I know that FCA and GM buy greenhouse credits from Tesla already to avoid going "over" standards and paying heavy fines (which we ultimately pay for in the purchase cost). I don't know how many more rocks are left to turn over to find credits to buy other than use the bare minimum to establish EPA MPG numbers to get the most bang for their buck.

Realistically I'm sure that most other auto manufacturers do that too. I didn't expect to meet those numbers on the window sticker but it's a pretty good hit for anyone that did.

Jako

Reaction score
I remember someone posting the trucks used to determine the EPA rating. Some other configurations besides a V-6 Tradesman but I'm sure they were bare-bones with no options.

I don't think it's as much for us as it is for their CAFE rating. FCA (Stellantis) has to make some fuel efficient vehicles if they want to keep putting the 392ci V-8 in more vehicles. ;)

I know that FCA and GM buy greenhouse credits from Tesla already to avoid going "over" standards and paying heavy fines (which we ultimately pay for in the purchase cost). I don't know how many more rocks are left to turn over to find credits to buy other than use the bare minimum to establish EPA MPG numbers to get the most bang for their buck.

Realistically I'm sure that most other auto manufacturers do that too. I didn't expect to meet those numbers on the window sticker but it's a pretty good hit for anyone that did.

As The New York Times reports, some analysts were expecting Tesla to “lose money as the coronavirus pandemic squeezed the company” by forcing consumers to cut back on spending and Tesla to halt production in Fremont.

Without the $428 million in sales of emission credits, Tesla would have lost $324 million, the Los Angeles Times noted. For all of 2019, it sold $594 million worth of pollution credits.

“Tesla’s business model is currently 100% predicated on selling one-time temporary credits to guys who increasingly don’t need them,” Gordon Johnson of GLJ Research said.

Usa450r

Reaction score
I’m around 13 mpg city driving with small lift and 35s. Pulling a 2000 lb UTV and open trailer I get around 9 mpg. Located in UT so some Mtn elevation driving. I have never hit 16 mpg......

Usa450r

Reaction score
That is amazingly terrible MPGs...makes my 13 with the HEMI seem amazing!
Yup, the MPGs are terrible with this truck.
That being said, I didn’t buy it because of great MPG.......but 16 mpg would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/