5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
2020 Limited, 3.92 rear, non-e torque.
Bone stock, no mods.
Almost all in-town driving.
13 - 13.5mpg is best I can do after 3,000 miles.
Seriously, this thing is a PIG. My 2.7 Ecoboost got 16mpg same exact scenario.
I'd still rather have the RAM, but holy crap this thing sucks down fuel.
It’ll improve with more miles on the truck!

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also had a 2.7L Ecoboost and now a Rebel, I use to get 18 mpg on the same cycle my Ram gets 13 mpg. Of course I didn't have 33" tires on the F150, I suspect the difference would have been closer to about 3 mpg if all things were equal.
Now that you mention it my 2.7 had slightly larger tires and a 2" level, so yeah I probably would have been in the 17-18 range myself.
But the RAM is heavier and much smoother. Nothing is free I guess.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Shoot when I had mine, I was averaging 9 mpg yes you see that correctly (9) and I just considered that normal lol.
Jeeeez that’s crazy! I have basically the same setup as you and on a 1000mi road trip up and down california I averaged 16.5mpg and around town 100% city I get around 13 usually.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far I am averaging about 13-14 in city and 18-20 on highway.

My previous truck(2016 GMC 5.3) would do about 16-18 city and 23-25 on highway. It was a 2wd

Drewster

Reaction score
Check the Fuelly in the sig. Only a few 100 miles of that towing at highway speed. I like the POWER of the 5.7, but the mileage SUCKS (for me at least)...

While I didn't expect MUCH - I sure EXPECTED BETTER. Now with fill ups from "idiot light zone" costing over $70 (and BidenRising) - I'll be glad(der) when my Yukon Diesel comes in.

Just sayin

Rick
If you're getting 10MPG, that's 100% on your driving/ idling. My truck gets 13 MPG towing 6,000lbs, 17 on my commute, and ~20 highway.

Morenar

Reaction score
I have tested this out over the past few months. I went to 93 octane a few months back to address the knocking noise on my hemi (which it did) I always filled with Citgo which is a top tier gas and would get 14-15MPG. I had to fill up at a Mobil on my way to my son's school one day. I filled it with 93 at Mobil and got 16.5MPG. I thought it was a fluke and went back to Citgo the next time and noticed the MPG's drop again. When I had to fill up, I went to Mobil again and have continued to get 16.3-16.5 consistently. I even convinced my wife to add it to her 2016 CX-9 and she saw a 2-3MPG increase. We drive the same routes and nothing has changed. I am not sure if it's the Mobil additives but it made a difference. All city driving and MDS turned off by the way.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have tested this out over the past few months. I went to 93 octane a few months back to address the knocking noise on my hemi (which it did) I always filled with Citgo which is a top tier gas and would get 14-15MPG. I had to fill up at a Mobil on my way to my son's school one day. I filled it with 93 at Mobil and got 16.5MPG. I thought it was a fluke and went back to Citgo the next time and noticed the MPG's drop again. When I had to fill up, I went to Mobil again and have continued to get 16.3-16.5 consistently. I even convinced my wife to add it to her 2016 CX-9 and she saw a 2-3MPG increase. We drive the same routes and nothing has changed. I am not sure if it's the Mobil additives but it made a difference. All city driving and MDS turned off by the way.
Not sure about the laws around ethanol in Florida. Some states mandate that ethanol percentages be displayed at pumps, some do not. Some stations put it in at all octane levels.
Is it possible your Citgo has 10% or so ethanol, and the Mobil does not have any? I always get 1-3 better (highway) if I use a pump without ethanol.

It could just be additives, not disagreeing with you, just a curiosity question.

phillipcgp

Reaction score
Guess I'm lucky, my daily commute is 11 miles, I use cruise 95% of the time, 45 mph. As of today my average is 18.9. Granted I'm not in stop and go traffic but I cant see it going anywhere past 16 at most.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats not weird but surprising. While I avoid the 7-11 and CircleK stores for fuel, I didn’t think Citgo was down at their level.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure about the laws around ethanol in Florida. Some states mandate that ethanol percentages be displayed at pumps, some do not. Some stations put it in at all octane levels.
Is it possible your Citgo has 10% or so ethanol, and the Mobil does not have any? I always get 1-3 better (highway) if I use a pump without ethanol.

It could just be additives, not disagreeing with you, just a curiosity question.
Any “pure gas” is usually 25-30 cents higher, at least it is in Oklahoma when I go to visit family... not saying its that way everywhere but ethanol is used to “cut” gas and it’s cheaper so, that would tend to make pure gas more expensive, me thinks.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any “pure gas” is usually 25-30 cents higher, at least it is in Oklahoma when I go to visit family... not saying its that way everywhere but ethanol is used to “cut” gas and it’s cheaper so, that would tend to make pure gas more expensive, me thinks.
I do not doubt you at all. I was not presuming to tell him it'd be more cost effective, as gas vs ethanol-gas prices are different across the country. I was simply offering a possible explanation for the MPG difference.

qcman1983

Reaction score
I typically don’t post, but I’m intrigued by this post. I have a 2020 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 with etorque and 392 gears. I also have the 33 gal fuel tank.

I have added Corsa cold air intake, changed the muffler to a 14” Magnaflow and 2.5” pipes and remove the resonators. I have also added the p

qcman1983

Reaction score
Opps... hit post.

continued ..... I have also added the PedalMax (it’s awesome).

I constantly check the gas mileage and I’m getting 16.5 to 17 mpg combined. I don’t drive it hard, but I don’t baby it at all. I have about 1,600 miles on.

This is probably my 10th RAM since 2005, I bought this thinking the etorque would get better mpg, I was disappointed until I started reading this thread.

KSOTI

Reaction score
I'm pretty content with my 17MPG combined average on my stock setup but I'm curious. Are there any tuners that improve mpg. Perhaps stretch out Eco mode a little? Pretty much all I have seen is for increasing power. Thanks in advance! And before I take a beating from the "you should've bought a prius" guys. RELAX !This ain't a complaint, just a curious question. Lol

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I have 900 miles on my limited after few weeks. 3.92 w/ etorque. Averaging 14 overall w/ half those miles on two different 200 mile highway trips where I averaged 16-18 based on speed. Like others have said difference for me between 70 vs 80 on highway is almost 2 mpg. I’ve filled up twice both with 89 from Sunoco but might try top tier 87 next time. Most 89 prices are almost as much as 93 in my area. Expect this to improve with engine break in and spring ends winter blends.

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting mid-15's overall. I reset Trip A every fill-up but Trip B has never been reset. Trip B tells me I'm getting 16.0 mpg overall which really means about .5 mpg lower.

I used to ease up to speed but have found that I get better economy out of getting up to cruising speed briskly. Just changing that aspect and nothing else and I'm doing about 1 mpg better overall per tank (about 16 mpg vice 15 mpg...hand calculated).

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Limited, 3.92 rear, non-e torque.
Bone stock, no mods.
Almost all in-town driving.
13 - 13.5mpg is best I can do after 3,000 miles.
Seriously, this thing is a PIG. My 2.7 Ecoboost got 16mpg same exact scenario.
I'd still rather have the RAM, but holy crap this thing sucks down fuel.

It’ll improve with more miles on the truck!

I'm almost to 10K miles and it has never improved.

Morenar

Reaction score
I'

I will have to check that the next time I go. I have to fill her up tonight.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I've always kept my trucks stock and usually average 1-2mpg higher than the city rating, all of them have been v8's with no start stop. From what I've seen from my friends, lift kits and knobby tires with low pressure are the death of fuel mileage. I just bought a used 19 and I'm getting 16.5 so far with all city driving, the first day I put about 100mi's 75% highway and was averaging 22mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread