5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just did this very thing. Went up one size to 275/60/20 which changes the 3.92 rear to 3.79. Tires are same metric category as stock Bridgestone's. (no XL or D or E load rating).
Hopefully I'll see a slight uptick in my abysmal 12MPG I'm currently getting with 80% around town/short trips. But I think most of my problem is the short trips. I think the Hemi is extra thirsty when it's not up to temperature.

FYI, going to a 275/65/20 changes the 3.92 rear to 3.67, but now you're getting into a much heavier tire and harsher ride.
How's your fuel mileage since going to 275/60r20 tires?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How's your fuel mileage since going to 275/60r20 tires?
Too soon to tell since I don't put a lot of miles on, but in the 100 or so miles I've driven with them I don't think MPG's have gotten any worse. I'll report back in another week after I go through this tank. I do notice the RPM's are a touch lower at speed.
It rides beautifully with these tires and the truck just looks more like a 4x4 should.
Mods:
-Lifted just the front 3/4" with airlinks = $50
-New 275/60R20 All Terrain tires = $950
-Alignment = $80
-Speedometer Calibrator = $250
-CREDIT for selling Bridgestone 'Highway' tires it came with = $400

Total cost for facelift = $930
1615909752278.jpeg

1615909745988.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Gotcha. nice looking truck. I wish i could use air links.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Too soon to tell since I don't put a lot of miles on, but in the 100 or so miles I've driven with them I don't think MPG's have gotten any worse. I'll report back in another week after I go through this tank. I do notice the RPM's are a touch lower at speed.
It rides beautifully with these tires and the truck just looks more like a 4x4 should.
Mods:
-Lifted just the front 3/4" with airlinks = $50
-New 275/60R20 All Terrain tires = $950
-Alignment = $80
-Speedometer Calibrator = $250
-CREDIT for selling Bridgestone 'Highway' tires it came with = $400

Total cost for facelift = $930
View attachment 85905

View attachment 85906
Woah! I also have a Limited with air. Air links to level the front?? Got a link???? Any rub?? I am going to need tires soon and may want to go up in size.

AALiVEE

Reaction score
This thread is just as stupid as it was when started, grown men complaining and measuring mpg with an half ton truck? (Wtf?)
If you are having trouble sleeping about the cost or the pollution, just sell the truck and get a Prius.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is just as stupid as it was when started, grown men complaining and measuring mpg with an half ton truck? (Wtf?)
If you are having trouble sleeping about the cost or the pollution, just sell the truck and get a Prius.
Not all of them. Some are happy with the numbers they are getting, some don't care because they know it's a truck, and some are just trying to console those who actually expected the window sticker to be accurate for their truck (besides the equipment listing).

For the most part the 5th gen fuel economy is not comparable to the 4th gen with the same powertrain, which many came from to this truck. This is my first RAM so have no point of comparison when I got my truck so I was happy to drive off the lot with what I picked, even with the manual-fold unheated tow mirrors.

Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy. Their new truck doesn't match or exceed what their last truck was so they are expressing their frustration with their $40K, $50K, or $60K+ purchase and finding consolation in others that are experiencing the same emotions. No harm, no foul. They will complete their grieving process in due time and grow to enjoy all the things that come with their new truck that they didn't have before.

Just my .02

P.S. Axle is spelled "axle" not "axel"...as in "Electronic Locking Rear Axle"

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not all of them. Some are happy with the numbers they are getting, some don't care because they know it's a truck, and some are just trying to console those who actually expected the window sticker to be accurate for their truck (besides the equipment listing).

For the most part the 5th gen fuel economy is not comparable to the 4th gen with the same powertrain, which many came from to this truck. This is my first RAM so have no point of comparison when I got my truck so I was happy to drive off the lot with what I picked, even with the manual-fold unheated tow mirrors.

Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy. Their new truck doesn't match or exceed what their last truck was so they are expressing their frustration with their $40K, $50K, or $60K+ purchase and finding consolation in others that are experiencing the same emotions. No harm, no foul. They will complete their grieving process in due time and grow to enjoy all the things that come with their new truck that they didn't have before.

Just my .02

P.S. Axle is spelled "axle" not "axel"...as in "Electronic Locking Rear Axle"
My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, 230 hp, 16 mpg hwy
My 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn, 395 hp, 21 mpg hwy
Me Happy!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
"...Some are happy with the numbers they are getting..."
Count me as one.

Attachments

• A9F46BF4-F6F3-4914-8548-05CFAAB9893A.jpeg
    A9F46BF4-F6F3-4914-8548-05CFAAB9893A.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 58

Jeeper

Reaction score
on my second Gen 5 now...can't recall ever seeing it get better than 18mpg. Daily driving I average around 11.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is my first ram so I can’t compare. Was driving a 5 cyl Colorado before this and was getting 20. Not a bad trade off. I’m happy with 18 to 19 mpg avg. what I’m interested in is if 1” taller tires is going to make mpg better or worse 🤔

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Woah! I also have a Limited with air. Air links to level the front?? Got a link???? Any rub?? I am going to need tires soon and may want to go up in size.
Link for airlinks: https://airlinksgc.com/ram-airlinks
Absolutely no rub even with larger 275/60's.
Even though the airlinks have the ability to raise the front over 1-1/2", I highly recommend you only go up 3/4" for a few reasons:
-Unless you also install a spacer, going more than 1" will noticeably affect the ride. It'll stiffen it up to where you'll notice it. I found that at 3/4" I hardly notice the difference in ride.
-The Limited's only have @1-3/4" to 2" of rake from the factory, so lifting the front 3/4" takes your rake down to about 1", which pretty much looks level.
-I've found that if you truly level a truck without also lifting 4" or more, the truck doesn't look right. It can actually look like it has negative rake in some instances depending what kind of ground it's sitting on.

So with the 3/4" lift and the 275/60 tires which add another 1/2" of height/ground clearance, the front end sits 1-1/4" higher than stock making it look and feel like a much bigger truck.

Here's the front wheel well with the new 275/60's and a 3/4" front lift/level using the airlinks.

1615996551323.png

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first ram so I can’t compare. Was driving a 5 cyl Colorado before this and was getting 20. Not a bad trade off. I’m happy with 18 to 19 mpg avg. what I’m interested in is if 1” taller tires is going to make mpg better or worse 🤔
Too many variables to make a judgement call. Things that will be affected:

- Your gearing will effectively get taller (lower number) which will be lower cruising RPMs on the freeway. I'm at ~1550 RPM @ 70 mph so you will be less than that. Depending on where the powerband is you might not get as much ECO time or sooner/more kickdown on slight inclines.

- A larger tire is going to add unsprung weight. Your engine has to overcome that additional inertia to move those tires.

Variables that will affect your results:

- Driving style. I found that "short-shifting" by lightly pressing the accelerator to slowly get up to speed and get the truck to up-shift as soon as possible does not help economy. I briskly accelerate (~3000 +/- 500 RPM depending on the situation) to cruising speed for the most part now and I'm getting about 1 mpg better overall.

- What kind of tires?
..........C/XL/E-rated tires add more weight for the additional construction to meet those standards. An E-rated version of my tire (same size) is 11 lbs heavier per tire. Almost 45 lbs of tire weight will definitely zap my economy and I don't need a "10-ply" tire like I did on my last truck (Ford F-250).
..........Off-road tires are softer than street/highway tires so will have more rolling resistance. In addition to more friction they will also wear faster. They do look a lot better in the wheel well though. ;)

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Members have to remember that everyone on here lives in different places with different topography as well as urban to rural locations. While some members putt their way from street light to street light and blvd to blvd, others leave their homes and drive several miles at 55 mph on a two lane hwy. No two members drive the same route. I live in the mountains and will go back and forth from 5800 ft to 7000 + in my regular commutes, lots of uphill and downhill stretches mostly at highway speeds with very little stop and go city style traffic. No way my mileage is going to be the same as someone living and working in a large city.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree on the acceleration. Getting upp to speed really slow kills my mpg. I usually go about half throttle.

Tombato

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I have a 19 5th gen ram with hemi and no e torque, I used to average 15 to 17 miles per gallon up until 6 months ago and at 60,000 miles. it was around that time I got a new set of tires and switched from the factory Wrangler Fortitude HT to the Wrangler all terrain adventure with Kevlar. find it hard to believe that the tire change would make that much of a difference. any thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Do you know which load rating you got on the new tires? They offer SL, C, & E. If you got E, they’re 13lbs heavier per tire which will have an effect on mpg but definitely not that much!

Jako

Reaction score
i have a 19 with hemi, no etorque up until 6 months ago roughly (and at just under 60,000 mi) i averaged 15-17 mpg which i thought was good for size of the truck but since then I'm 13-14 mpg. the only difference being a new set of tires going from factory Goodyear Fortera

I have a 19 5th gen ram with hemi and no e torque, I used to average 15 to 17 miles per gallon up until 6 months ago and at 60,000 miles. it was around that time I got a new set of tires and switched from the factory Wrangler Fortitude HT to the Wrangler all terrain adventure with Kevlar. find it hard to believe that the tire change would make that much of a difference. any thoughts would be appreciated
Happened to me in my 1994 Ford Explorer, went from Pirellis to Firestones with a noticeable mpg drop. Pirellis were from the Firestone/Ford Explorer flip over lawsuit, great tires. I drove them to "baloney skin" status waiting for something else to go wrong and be done with the Ford but nothing went wrong UNTIL I replaced the tires than everything went wrong.

C’est la vie​

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just filled up yesterday.....on the trip odometer......392 miles averaging 20.9 MPG........when I filled up.....range indicator read 520 mile......very pleased with my Ram. 11,900 miles.....5.7 Hemi....3.92 rear.....4x4......tow package......18 inch wheels.......it's also red....maybe that helps????

Users who are viewing this thread