5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please recommend 20” All-terrain favorites - the Duelers are awful!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been running the Nitto 295/55R20 Ridge Grapplers on stock rims on my truck since new. I love them! Still very quiet with 33k miles on them and tread is holding up nicely. Are they as quiet as stock? No, but I love the look and traction and wear. They are a little heavy, but I’m not a lead foot, so it doesn’t bother me. :)
Just replaced my XL-Rated Ridge Grapplers (OEM size 275/65-18). They were quiet until the end and there was still a little tread left at 55K miles (although the edges were almost bald). Great tire (y)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't compare to the stock Duelers as I didn't drive the truck with them. Last truck was a 2019 Rebel with Duratracs and I have always likes the KO2's better(have had KO2's on a few trucks). Duratracs get really noisy when they get some miles on them.
I've got 36K on my Duratrac's and the noise is awful now. Replacing them soon with either KO2's or Wildpeak's.

Reaction score
I replaced mine with the same size in the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and have been very happy with them. View attachment 115678 View attachment 115679
hey there. Appreciate the feedback. I literally almost have the same truck....topper...always love the toppers.....just curious.....have you been happy with the quiet factor and did you consider just edging up one size taller?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey there. Appreciate the feedback. I literally almost have the same truck....topper...always love the toppers.....just curious.....have you been happy with the quiet factor and did you consider just edging up one size taller?
I have been happy with the noise - I don't notice any increase over the stock Duelers but I should qualify that with the fact I didn't keep them long and I generally have the radio on or window down. I never considered a size other than stock because my truck is a lease and I wanted to keep it as stock as possible. I did consider getting a smaller 17 or 18 wheel for more sidewall but decoded the additional cost wasn't worth it for me.

rotts4u

Reaction score
I have been happy with the noise - I don't notice any increase over the stock Duelers but I should qualify that with the fact I didn't keep them long and I generally have the radio on or window down. I never considered a size other than stock because my truck is a lease and I wanted to keep it as stock as possible. I did consider getting a smaller 17 or 18 wheel for more sidewall but decoded the additional cost wasn't worth it for me.

Look familiar?

15483E1E-7F76-4877-A1A9-80C5ADA71BC1_1_100_o.jpeg

Andy G

Reaction score
You're going to get a lot of opinions on this topic. Most are based on personal experience and all are good. Problem is there a lot of good tires. Doesn't take much to be better than the dueler HLs. I suffered through one wisconsin winter with them and wasn't going to do another. I replaced them with BFG KO2 and went up a couple of sizes. I wanted an E load rated tire. My second choices would have benn Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Firestone Destination XT. Lots of choices. In the end you gotta just go with your gut and hope for the best. Good luck in your decision-making process. It took me a couple of months. My wife got really tired of hearing about tires!
I agree, I had the ko2s on my 2015 tundra,excellent tires,will buy them again when it's time, they should look good on my 2020 bighorn!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did consider getting a smaller 17 or 18 wheel for more sidewall but decoded the additional cost wasn't worth it for me.
17" wheels will not fit on the 5th gen. They won't allow enough clearance for the brake caliper.

Aftermarket 18" wheels are a hit and miss as well. If you go that route make sure they fit before you purchase them.

Obviously a bit off-topic but wanted to throw that out there for anyone that might run with that idea.

GoTide

Reaction score
I might be too late to the thread, but I love my Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT 20" tires mounted on my 2019 Big Horn. I believe they are exclusive to Discount Tire. Maybe that's why I haven't heard much about them on these boards. They ride great. No road noise. Great look. Carries the 3PMSF snow rating. I love them. Pardon the dirty wheels. We are in the middle of an ice storm here in the Memphis area, so all cars are winter dirty. These are P275/65R20. 20220203_124328.jpg 20220203_140308.jpg 20220203_124342.jpg 20220203_140144.jpg

Attachments

• 20220203_140322.jpg
    20220203_140322.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 36

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with General Grabber ATx. LT275/65/20 (34”). I’ve had them on for over a year and ~ 15k miles. They are showing virtually no signs of wear, they aren’t noisy, and they provide good traction in all conditions. Plus they look good.

View attachment 115680 View attachment 115681
I really like these tires, so you say they are 34" ? I have the limited longhorn with air suspension, you think i will have tire rub? I know entry level makes the truck pretty low. Thanks

Choate

Reaction score
I really like these tires, so you say they are 34" ? I have the limited longhorn with air suspension, you think i will have tire rub? I know entry level makes the truck pretty low. Thanks
It’s a 275/55. Look at the picture and zoom in. So stock size. Can’t speak to the tire rub on air low ride but I ran 275/60/20 wildpeaks ATw3 on an all stock big horn and zero rub

fireberd350

Reaction score
FWIW here's some notes I've been taking to compare my tires (285/55/20) to other options with regard to price and weight. My BAJA ATZ's are very nice to look at but very heavy (MPGs :poop:) and a bit noisy. I don't need to tow crazy weight so I will look for a lighter tire when I replace these and hope to re-claim some MPGs. I have about 30k experience w/ RidgeGrapplers on my Tacoma and the noise was amazingly equal to stockers. They were impressive in rain and snow as well. Very heavy tho.

1644031335392.png

Choate

Reaction score
Another fun tid bit. Isn’t it interesting the name “light truck” LT tires are much heavier than XL extra load tires. Wouldn’t you think a light truck tire would be lighter and less heavy duty than a “extra load” XL tire? It can be very confusing. But the LT tires are 10 ply so there is no XL. That’s only in the “lighter” (less heavy duty) or standard tire. I guess you’d need to talk to a tire consultant bc I’m not one but I understand most of it

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FWIW here's some notes I've been taking to compare my tires (285/55/20) to other options with regard to price and weight. My BAJA ATZ's are very nice to look at but very heavy (MPGs :poop:) and a bit noisy. I don't need to tow crazy weight so I will look for a lighter tire when I replace these and hope to re-claim some MPGs. I have about 30k experience w/ RidgeGrapplers on my Tacoma and the noise was amazingly equal to stockers. They were impressive in rain and snow as well. Very heavy tho.

View attachment 119636
The XL version of the 305/55/20 Ridge Grapplers, which are just a little taller and wider than your 285/5520's, are only 51 lbs.

327V8Hemi2020

Reaction score
I just replaced my stock Bridgestone’s Dueler at 61k….not one issue….replaced with the same….

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 30k experience w/ RidgeGrapplers on my Tacoma and the noise was amazingly equal to stockers. They were impressive in rain and snow as well. Very heavy tho.
Those were most likely the E-rated version of the tire if they were heavy.

The XL version of the 305/55/20 Ridge Grapplers, which are just a little taller and wider than your 285/5520's, are only 51 lbs.
I have 275/65-18 tires and the XL version of the Ridge Grapplers (45 lbs/tire) which are lighter than the C-rated Falkens (48 lbs/tire) that came with my truck.

I'm on my second set. The first set was great - they had great traction and were quiet all the way to the end. I replaced them at 55K miles - they were still above the wear bars in the middle but the edges were pretty much bald. I was hoping for 45K miles (they are an off-road tire) but was very happy when I got over 50K miles out of them.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also researching tires to replace the terrible duelers. They are truly, truly awful. I've never replaced a set of factory tires before they wear but these are gone come Spring. I'm probably between the Cooper Discover AT3 and Michelin Defenders. But I'll probably change my mind twelve times before then. Either way I'm going to a 60 height instead of 55.
have you replaced you tire with the 60 height yet? i would like to do the same but was not sure if the would rub. do you have a stock suspension?

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
have you replaced you tire with the 60 height yet? i would like to do the same but was not sure if the would rub. do you have a stock suspension?
Not quite but I will be in a few weeks. A friend of mine just ordered the same setup for his Sierra so I'm going to test fit his on mine before I buy. I will be doing a 2 inch level on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread