5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
No doubt, a worthy effort, and thanks for the compliment. I hope no one thinks my comment was a criticism of this fine group here doing good work trying to find the answers.

Ram ought to provide buyers the detailed payload info so they can make an informed decision, and not get on the wrong side of a weight rating when towing. I’ll make it work and be safe doing it, but my option list would have been shorter, or my truck would be a BigHorn, had I known. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to suffer with my Laramie and pano roof... ;)
ahem.... :)

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh fine, post updated. :LOL:

To all, this thread is gold and will keep you from making my mistake if payload is critical. So an update from me, since my ordered truck (long awaited Laramie w/ Ramboxes, 1240 lb payload) ended up being well below my minimum requirement I had to have an unpleasant discussion with dealer but got my deposit back. Don’t depend on your dealer to advise you on payload, as mine promised the full 1780 payload WITH options which is just wrong. Most Laramies are coming in at 1450ish, but Ramboxes alone drop that by about 165. Even the savvy salespeople don’t have the detailed information we are learning through the hard work of members here. Read and heed.

My new ride, picking up Friday: BigHorn CC Level 1 Hemi eTorque Side Steps:
F04966EB-9AD2-45F0-A9D9-C03C229F74C6.jpeg

Attachments

• 133A3E75-0467-4E0C-B78E-A0EE32B8CDC0.jpeg
    133A3E75-0467-4E0C-B78E-A0EE32B8CDC0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great minds DD... I am planning to do that with the Laramie I ordered today to confirm my actual vs posted payload.

@Zeronet if you want to, let me know your method and I can try some of the leg work. With a few door and window stickers, and some time ;), should be solvable. Any math whizzes out there who like to do matrix solutions?
I see you made some changes to your plan. Did you get the actual weight of your ordered truck...or did you just go with the payload sticker.

Sounds like you made a good decision, although those Laramie Rams sure are great looking.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
@devildodge Yeah this is a bit sobering for me. I ordered a Loaded Limited too but maybe I was too optimistic in thinking that my build would give me a payload of 1300. I have a feeling when I get my truck and look at the payload it might be more like 1100. It's nuts, my wife's GMC Acadia would have a higher payload then my truck , her's is 1400lb!

The only silver lining is that I don't plan to buy a camper for at least a couple of years, so maybe I will just lease my truck for 2 years then step up to a HD refreshed model when they come out. I think by 2021 they should have a entirely new generation or refreshed at least. So basically I might be in the same boat as you @devildodge

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get the actual weight of your ordered truck...or did you just go with the payload sticker.
Short answer nope, wish I had but things moved fast when I started asking payload questions.

I asked my salesman if I could weigh the Laramie on the scales to confirm the payload but he referred me to the manager, who didn’t like the idea of me questioning whether the truck would suit my requirements safely. Same folks that told me it could carry 1780, and that 540 pounds was “factored in for families”. Yep. That’s when I knew the deal was doomed, and found a truck they could swap for, which they chose not to do... so I didn’t get to weigh it. Btw I no longer recommend my local dealer...

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the only things I left off is the trailer mirror and the tri-fold cover

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Here's my fat a$$ loaded Limited @ 1141 lbs. I see Slim's above at 1182 and think we had exact matches except I have the OR package. I would have thought the skid plates weighed more than 41 lbs...
View attachment 5513
I know we talked about the size of the trucks shouldn't really matter. But maybe it's because SLIM has 22's? When they put it on the scale I am sure it is heavier..

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know we talked about the size of the trucks shouldn't really matter. But maybe it's because SLIM has 22's? When they put it on the scale I am sure it is heavier..

Tires/wheels shouldn't matter because they are unsprung weight, but one thing I thought of later on the ORG is that it also includes a full size spare that is sprung weight. That and the skid plates could easily explain the difference.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
DId some investigative work and got payload and axle rating stickers for the following

Limited 4x4
- Non-eTorque V8
- Anti Slip
- Advanced Safety Grou
- Pano Roof
- 33 Gallon Tank
- 3.92 Rear Axle
-- 22" WHeels

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6SRFHT4KN513331

View attachment 6380

View attachment 6381
I'd love to see if someone has a very similiar setup w/o the 22"s and with regular 20's to verify/unverify my theory on the size of the tires factoring into the payload capacity. I know it shouldn't matter but if they are weighing it on a scale and just subtracting payload then it would factor in..

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd love to see if someone has a very similiar setup w/o the 22"s and with regular 20's to verify/unverify my theory on the size of the tires factoring into the payload capacity. I know it shouldn't matter but if they are weighing it on a scale and just subtracting payload then it would factor in..
When i did the option weight calculations for the Limited trim I found two nearly identical trucks (with payload stickers and window stickers to verify the options). The only difference between the two was that one had 20” and the other had 22” wheels. The payload stickers had IDENTICAL payload numbers.

I compared about 10 Limiteds overall, some had 20s, others had 22s. There was no difference in payload once the weight of the other options were factored in.

I found no weight penalty for 22s over the 20s.

I looked at a few Laramie’s as well. While I wasn’t able to verify it 100%, there DID appear to be a weight/payload penalty for 20” wheels over the 18s.

Last edited:

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
When i did the option weight calculations for the Limited trim I found two nearly identical trucks (with payload stickers and window stickers to verify the options). The only difference between the two was that one had 20” and the other had 22” wheels. The payload stickers had IDENTICAL payload numbers.

I compared about 10 Limiteds overall, some had 20s, others had 22s. There was no difference in payload once the weight of the other options were factored in.

I found no weight penalty for 22s over the 20s.

I looked at a few Laramie’s as well. While I wasn’t able to verify it 100%, there appeared to be a weight/payload penalty for 20” wheels over the 18s.
Ahhh good to know it didn't matter as it shouldn't. Thanks for your research Zeronet, my OCD was kicking in and you saved me the hassle of doing it myself ha.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahhh good to know it didn't matter as it shouldn't. Thanks for your research Zeronet, my OCD was kicking in and you saved me the hassle of doing it myself ha.
Actually any option that makes the truck heavier should reduce payload, even tires/wheels. Since the payload is calculated as GVWR minus the weight of the truck as optioned from the factory with full fluids (even a full load of fuel is included in the calculation).

I can only assume that the 20” wheel/tire combination is very close in weight to the 22s. There is zero effect on the payload stickers.

However, I believe that the 20 and 22” weigh significantly more (I estimate 60lbs more) than the 18” tire/wheel combination and that is reflected as reduced payload for the trucks equipped with the 20 or 22” wheels when compared to a similarly optioned truck with 18s.

Users who are viewing this thread