5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People with gas mileage issues

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I came from a 2500 Suburban with the 8.1L and 4.10’s. It’d get 11-12 with nothing behind it and 9-10 with our 26’ boat. I don’t expect 20 mpg out of mine but would sure like upper teens.

myram2019

Reaction score
Those 33 12.50 ridge grapplers and moto metals are not helping, You're running around 110 lbs per corner versus 72 lbs for the factory 20 inch setup. I had a similar setup on my GMC 33 1250 18 on 18x9 fuels that weighed in at 100 lbs even and they ate about 4 mpg off the average.
Well I did have stock shoes on her and to be honest I don’t see much difference. Before I would say it was 11 mpg before I went to bigger tires. 1 mpg worst but hell of a lot prettier. ;)

Pitcom

Reaction score
I just hit 500miles on my truck and im at 14.0 for fuel economy. I live in Pa and we have lots of hills where i live. The fuel economy drops to 7 on every single hill. On the highway, im averaging about 18 mpg.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I did have stock shoes on her and to be honest I don’t see much difference. Before I would say it was 11 mpg before I went to bigger tires. 1 mpg worst but hell of a lot prettier. ;)
For sure, I'm at 12.5 in town with 275 60 20 on stock wheels lucky if I touch 14 mixed, does great on the freeway low to mid 20s, I just don't drive a lot of freeway miles

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
5.7 e-torque average 13.3 with 3.92 gears, total disappointment, and I drive REALLY easy...
Stop driving easy! I promise mine gets noticeably better mileage when I accelerate somewhat briskly from a stop getting up to speed quick and then maintain my speed. A long time in slow acceleration really killed my mpgs

myram2019

Reaction score
Its been cold here and what really kills gas mileage is remote start. I would rather have a nice warn truck to get into then worry bout mpg . LOL

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stop driving easy! I promise mine gets noticeably better mileage when I accelerate somewhat briskly from a stop getting up to speed quick and then maintain my speed. A long time in slow acceleration really killed my mpgs

I’ve been wondering about this, because it says like 5mpg currently during the whole acceleration process, almost regardless of how much gas you give it.

Jtc411

Reaction score

This! My gas milage is good and from a stop I accelerate briskly to about 5-10 mph over the speed limit and just maintain speed

Firepower2010

Reaction score
I will give that a shot, I doubt it's going to gain me MPG, but what the heck, I'm game to try anything. Thx.

Reaction score
I noticed that idling at lights kills the computed mileage so if there is a lot of idling then the mileage will be bad. If equipped with start/stop it should be better.

I have the etorque start/stop and live in a flat area (Texas). I am getting 13.5 combined and have never gotten over 14. I am really surprised by this because I have always been able to get better mileage than the EPA stickers.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I'm not sure why some get so high vs others. I started around 13 and have increased to about 14 in mostly city driving which is about what is expect. I'm sure lift and tires make a difference too.

The biggest variable might be temps and fuel blends. I live in ND and it's been cold here (below freezing) for most of the time I've owned it.
I live in ND too, bought the truck in November after my last one crapped out on me and I was tired of weekends spent crawling around finding and fixing issues. I've been getting about 14 in town lately, with less autostarts now that it's warming up, but on the highway again around 65 I average 22-26mpg. Curious to see what it does in town this summer when the engine is warm before starting.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll second that. When I take it easy, my everyday average is around 15.4. If i get up to speed quicker, my everyday average rises to between 16.5 and 17.4. Don't stomp on it; but give a little more gas and get up to speed more quickly. I was surprised at the difference and have experimented with it quite a bit to "prove" my results.

Firepower2010

Reaction score
I'll second that. When I take it easy, my everyday average is around 15.4. If i get up to speed quicker, my everyday average rises to between 16.5 and 17.4. Don't stomp on it; but give a little more gas and get up to speed more quickly. I was surprised at the difference and have experimented with it quite a bit to "prove" my results.
That's really interesting. The only issue I have is since I have the 3.92's it sounds like I'm always trying to "Fast and Furious" the car next to me, and the throttle is really jumpy/sensitive, the truck lurches becuase of the gearing, so as to not feel like I'm impersonating Vin Diesel I try and feather in the throttle so I don't look like I'm trying to live my life a 1/4 mile at a time. :)

Fidomac

Reaction score
I’m just confused on why some people get such bad gas mileage. My 18.1 on the screen is 75% city driving and 25% highway and freeway. Usually when I reset my trip and do highway only on that stretch I see the 22-25 mph depending on wind and direction. If I did only highway driving I would think I’d see about 22mph. I’m just very curious of what’s wrong with peoples trucks to get such poor gas milage
What are your tires inflated to?

myram2019

Reaction score
This is such a tough topic. Can't really compare apples to apples. Each situation has a different truck setup, a different driving style and different terrain. I love my truck and if i was buying for MPG then i would of got a Prius. LOL

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At 65 I'm at 18.9 with 3.92 gearing. I'm a bit surprised your not seeing higher with 3.21 @ 65.

Now anything over 70 and it starts dropping off quickly...

I hope after break in I see those numbers. Currently 13, admittedly its under 100 miles on the non-etorque 1500 hemi and its been idling... but still, 13 was a shocker.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope after break in I see those numbers. Currently 13, admittedly its under 100 miles on the non-etorque 1500 hemi and its been idling... but still, 13 was a shocker.

It should. I'm closing in on 10K miles and just got 17.5 MPG driving to Dallas and back doing 80. It actually was higher but I burned a lot of MPG trying to navigate around the overly aggressive Dallas drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread