5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People with gas mileage issues

EGD

Reaction score
Believe realistically with a 3.92 rear, city will be 14/15 and highway at 70-75mph will be 18/19, all with hand calc and standard wheels/tires from factory.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Believe realistically with a 3.92 rear, city will be 14/15 and highway at 70-75mph will be 18/19, all with hand calc and standard wheels/tires from factory.
Yep. I went back and forth on the gears... I knew the 3.92’s would cost me mileage but the power sure would have been worth it.

1Raider

Reaction score
I’d presume with E Locker and ORG you have the 3.92’s, that and even just a mix of city/hiway would drop you into the teens. Mud and snow tires? EPA probably tests a Tradesman 4x2 quad cab, likely anyway. On this trip it was 2 lane divided each way with little traffic so I had no reason to speed. 75-80mph it would likely be 3-4 mpg less.

No I ordered the 3.21's with mine but should have went 3.92's as im sure my mileage couldn't be any worse than it is..

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no mileage issues, my Rebel is a thirsty som-a-biatch... that's alright with me!

1Raider

Reaction score
I have no mileage issues, my Rebel is a thirsty som-a-biatch... that's alright with me!

Wouldn't really be an issue with me either if it just had the get up and go to go along with it..
My truck just isn't that impressive from a power standpoint.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't really be an issue with me either if it just had the get up and go to go along with it..
My truck just isn't that impressive from a power standpoint.
I completely understand. I am not disappointed in my "get up and go". That would be an issue for me as well. The only issue I have is the price of tires.

EGD

Reaction score
Quick jaunt from Space Coast to Orlando Airport and back. Primarily all highway at 72mph on cruise. Hand calc at 19.43mpg. A shade over 2500 miles on odometer. DVIC stated 21.6mpg. Consistently 2mpg optimistic vs. hand calc.

mkel2010

Reaction score
Just filled up this morning after a 176 mile round trip - 90% on the freeway in Southern California at around 75 mph. Hand calculated average was 20.8 MPG for the tank. The dash was telling me the average was a little over 18 MPG. The truck has a little over 1100 miles and has a 3.92 rear end. Extremely happy with my mileage so far.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a 480 mile trip and averaged 20.8 mpg hand calculated which was with 2/10ths of the dash read out. I had a lot of stop and go in Chicago and Milwaukee and speeds ranged from 74-80 open highway. Very pleased to get this mileage under these conditions.

EGD

Reaction score
Central FL to Miami and back, 19mpg at 72mph on cruise on return. Trip down was 1.5hrs longer due to accidents so I am sure it shaved a bit off average.

Jtc411

Reaction score
This is where I’m at around 3750 miles. 60% highway 40% city. Pretty happy. All on 87 octane other than one tank of 92 which I noticed 0 difference in power or fuel economy

Attachments

• C7FBA5BA-C82C-4954-9C22-E7A81C66FC71.jpeg
    C7FBA5BA-C82C-4954-9C22-E7A81C66FC71.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 69

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must be the only guy around here who has nfi what my fuel economy is. I figure it like this: I need it for working and like it for pleasure, and I'm going to have to put gas in it if I want to drive it so there's no point in making myself nuts seeing if I can get higher fuel economy. Even great fuel economy sucks compared to virtually everything else out there because it's a 4WD truck.

I've run lots of experiments with my smaller cars to see what I can milk from them - I have averaged 42MPG out of my Kia Soul and close to 40 from my Miata - but it's just not worth my time or worry on the truck. I think I've put gas in it 5 times so far (I fill it) and I have 2600+ miles on it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I must be the only guy around here who has nfi what my fuel economy is. I figure it like this: I need it for working and like it for pleasure, and I'm going to have to put gas in it if I want to drive it so there's no point in making myself nuts seeing if I can get higher fuel economy. Even great fuel economy sucks compared to virtually everything else out there because it's a 4WD truck.

I've run lots of experiments with my smaller cars to see what I can milk from them - I have averaged 42MPG out of my Kia Soul and close to 40 from my Miata - but it's just not worth my time or worry on the truck. I think I've put gas in it 5 times so far (I fill it) and I have 2600+ miles on it.
Its true if you need it and like it and just don't care then its all good! After all, gotta drive something.

Barney556180

Reaction score
I’m absolutely not trolling anyone. I was fully expecting to experience bad gas milage like most but was surprised that I’m getting pretty solid fuel economy. I have the 5.7 with 3.21 gears

I’m getting pretty much the same results with the same build and similar driving.

ECO comes on less often over 55 or so, but otherwise cycles on and off regularly.

KingRebel

Reaction score
All of you must live on flat lands and drive only highway. I drive mostly city (NJ will lots of hills) and a little highway. I average 10. that's right 10. The windows sticker that says 17 city is total BS. LOL
I may have a heavy foot and do enjoy the sound of the exhaust but really 10. Was expecting more :(
I am with you. Just got my Rebel in Apr and most city driving in Queens NY. I am averaging 10-11.5 at best with 1750 miles on the 5.7 non-etorque.

However, I am moving to Dallas TX in a month (flat land). Hopefully the mpg will improve. Good luck with your ride.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am with you. Just got my Rebel in Apr and most city driving in Queens NY. I am averaging 10-11.5 at best with 1750 miles on the 5.7 non-etorque.

However, I am moving to Dallas TX in a month (flat land). Hopefully the mpg will improve. Good luck with your ride.
Don’t hold your breath! It is just as flat in Queens.

41magmag41

Reaction score
I have 4809 miles on my 6 week old Big horn, 4x4, 5.7. 8 speed and some other goodies. Been averaging 18.7 to 19.8 mpg on her whether its on the computer or hand computed. This is with 75 mph runs into the white mountains in New Hampshire to flat runs down to Rhode Island to see family. Very pleased with her.

Users who are viewing this thread