5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ParkSense / Navigation worth it?

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what you thought about the parksense system on the 1500. For me to option them it would cost about $750 but I'm not sure how useful they are. How useful are they in parking situations when you already have a backup camera...Do they malfunction often in rain, mud, or snow? They look pretty cool on the instrument cluster lighting up when you get close to something but not sure of the practicality. Also, $700 for navigation worth it? Is the system good and if so are the maps updatable or are you stuck with the version you have (apple carplay better)?

Bonus question: What can you do with the blank switches if you don't get the parksense/air suspension...seems like an eyesore to look at all the options you didn't get haha

Love some input on this, thanks!

S

Smashy71

Hey guys, just wondering what you thought about the parksense system on the 1500. For me to option them it would cost about $750 but I'm not sure how useful they are. How useful are they in parking situations when you already have a backup camera...Do they malfunction often in rain, mud, or snow? They look pretty cool on the instrument cluster lighting up when you get close to something but not sure of the practicality. Also, $700 for navigation worth it? Is the system good and if so are the maps updatable or are you stuck with the version you have (apple carplay better)?

Bonus question: What can you do with the blank switches if you don't get the parksense/air suspension...seems like an eyesore to look at all the options you didn't get haha

Get the 8.4 screen with CarPlay. Nav is a waste of money IMO because CarPlay uses your phones navigation and displayes it. I have the park sensors and I always have them turned off. They beep all the time and have locked up my brakes while backing out of my garage at an angle.

steveved

Reaction score
I like the Nav in mine, but they can keep the parksense crap. I turned it off.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO Nav is a waste. You can use your cell phone Nav through UConnect. When your Nav MAPS expire; sometimes Nav will stop working (happened twice on my 2015 Journey); then they want $150 per year to update maps. I bought a 6" Garmin with free lifetime map updates for less than $150 for those times where I really need Navigation.

meltedcheez

Reaction score
I can't miss what I don't have! I use the Android Auto and the back-up cam is more than enough for me (more than I had on my previous car) and I feel spoiled with it. The lighting could be better in reverse though. I have to back up a hill to park and it doesn't illuminate very well. During the day though you can throw the back-up camera on while sitting at a light and watch the guy behind you pick his nose. Very high res, I've had multiple people impressed with the back-up cam.

S

Smashy71

I can't miss what I don't have! I use the Android Auto and the back-up cam is more than enough for me (more than I had on my previous car) and I feel spoiled with it. The lighting could be better in reverse though. I have to back up a hill to park and it doesn't illuminate very well. During the day though you can throw the back-up camera on while sitting at a light and watch the guy behind you pick his nose. Very high res, I've had multiple people impressed with the back-up cam.
My wife drives a Porsche Cayenne and she likes the rebel better and can’t get over how clear and high resolution the backup camer is. Also the rebel is much quieter. Haha

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the front parksense for busy parking lots and cramped jobsites, I disabled the auto stop and set the beeps to low... I don't find it annoying at all. The Nav is only usefull because it enables all the other wireless functionality of the system, wifi, remote apps and assistance. Non nav can not be updated or unlocked because the head units are physically different.

I could do without both, but am happy to have them and they're part of my driving habits now.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
I like the front parksense for busy parking lots and cramped jobsites, I disabled the auto stop and set the beeps to low... I don't find it annoying at all. The Nav is only usefull because it enables all the other wireless functionality of the system, wifi, remote apps and assistance. Non nav can not be updated or unlocked because the head units are physically different.

I could do without both, but am happy to have them and they're part of my driving habits now.
Do the sensors easily get blocked by dirt or snow? I live up in canada so the front of my car is constantly bombarded with snow and rain in the winter...

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
IMO Nav is a waste. You can use your cell phone Nav through UConnect. When your Nav MAPS expire; sometimes Nav will stop working (happened twice on my 2015 Journey); then they want $150 per year to update maps. I bought a 6" Garmin with free lifetime map updates for less than $150 for those times where I really need Navigation.
Get the 8.4 screen with CarPlay. Nav is a waste of money IMO because CarPlay uses your phones navigation and displayes it. I have the park sensors and I always have them turned off. They beep all the time and have locked up my brakes while backing out of my garage at an angle.

Thanks, I'll probably skip the Nav then. Any experience on how much data the carplay uses from your phone on lets say a 2 hour trip. Only thing I'm worried about is remote places where cellular signal is at bare minimum and sometimes non-existant. Not a tech person but is there anyway you can download a trip at home and not use data when driving?

Thanks

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
While on the topic of saving some cash, for someone who is about 5' 9 can you go without running boards? For $750 that seems like a waste of money if I don't need it

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you turn on the backup camera without putting the truck in reverse?

cjmst23

Reaction score
How do you turn on the backup camera without putting the truck in reverse?
There is a backup camera and surround camera app you can drag into the main toolbar or run from the apps menu

S

Smashy71

While on the topic of saving some cash, for someone who is about 5' 9 can you go without running boards? For $750 that seems like a waste of money if I don't need it
I’m 5’9 and got the running boards factory. I could have saved 2-300 getting an off brand and doing it myself but the dealer gave me 8400 off msrp on a rebel, I went ahead and got them.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you get in the truck without running boards or would it be too awkward?
Yes, I could get in and out without a problem; but they are nice to have. I think the most benefit I get from the running boards are: 1. Makes it easier for my passengers to get in/out so my door sills don't get all scratched up. / 2. Gives me a little protection against door dings.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I love both in mine. Nav is great on 12".

S

Smashy71

Yes, I could get in and out without a problem; but they are nice to have. I think the most benefit I get from the running boards are: 1. Makes it easier for my passengers to get in/out so my door sills don't get all scratched up. / 2. Gives me a little protection against door dings.

Not to mention not having to hang your weight on the steering wheel and door while getting in. Just step up and you’re in!

Users who are viewing this thread