5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Roof Durability

Rebel0716

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm in the process of ordering a Rebel and am wondering what everyone's experience has been with the durability of the panoramic sunroof over the long haul. I love the idea of having it, but am worried about its long term durability since I plan on keeping the truck for 10+ years and will mostly be keeping the truck outside in the northeast. I also worry about it from a stability standpoint when off-roading. If anyone can shed any light on their experience over the course of their ownership I'd appreciate it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Would anyone know if there would be any adverse effect on tinting the pano roof?

I’ve seen some videos that tinting it with some kind of reflective materials will reduce the cabin heat.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You're fine with tinting the sunroof. There have been instances where the sunroof glass shattered on both tinted and untinted sunroofs. It's more likely those were caused by defects in the glass and not from being tinted.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would anyone know if there would be any adverse effect on tinting the pano roof?

I’ve seen some videos that tinting it with some kind of reflective materials will reduce the cabin heat.

I tinted mine with Llumar Air 80 it’s clear and meant for windshields but provides 43% heat rejection

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Skip it. It's heavy and lowers your GVWR AND it's hot as sin. The heat that glass puts off is brutal in the dead of summer. I used it a few times when it was new but now I never touch it. It just sits up there producing heat. I don't even open the cover as I prefer a dark "cooler" cabin.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Sorry....I chose the wrong word, Payload. Adding the Pano Roof reduces Payload Capacity. My bad....but my point was the same. Adds unnecessary weight imo. But if you aren't towing or you have the payload to spare and you like a hot head and to soak up the rays, then it could be for you.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry....I chose the wrong word, Payload. Adding the Pano Roof reduces Payload Capacity. My bad....but my point was the same. Adds unnecessary weight imo. But if you aren't towing or you have the payload to spare and you like a hot head and to soak up the rays, then it could be for you.

Yeah, I'll miss being able to carry that 1 extra 40# bag of fertilizer, 100 will have to do

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if you aren't towing or you have the payload to spare and you like a hot head and to soak up the rays, then it could be for you.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the heat coming through the sunroof, maybe a regional thing? Haven't had that issue at all this summer on any of our hottest days, granted I live in the northeast. Our hottest day this year was probably high 90s or maybe 100, and of course with some nice humidity usually too. Those days I leave the shade closed and remote start for 10-15 minutes, everything is comfortable.

I'm sure down south it's a much different story, but up here I wouldn't dissuade anyone from getting it for that reason. Agree on your other point, if you were on the fence about having the sunroof and were planning to tow or haul a lot, you do lose a decent amount of payload with it.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If the weight of the panoramic sunroof prohibits you from towing your trailer, you shouldn't have purchased a 1/2 ton truck.

The sunroof does get a little hotter than a roof without one, but it's really not enough to mention. I was going to order my truck without it but I really like the one in my wife's car, so I went ahead and ordered it for my Laramie. I'm so glad I got it. I run the shade open and the glass tilted up, on all but the hottest days.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people complain about the heat coming through the sunroof, maybe a regional thing? Haven't had that issue at all this summer on any of our hottest days, granted I live in the northeast. Our hottest day this year was probably high 90s or maybe 100, and of course with some nice humidity usually too. Those days I leave the shade closed and remote start for 10-15 minutes, everything is comfortable.

I'm sure down south it's a much different story, but up here I wouldn't dissuade anyone from getting it for that reason. Agree on your other point, if you were on the fence about having the sunroof and were planning to tow or haul a lot, you do lose a decent amount of payload with it.

Granted mine has IR tint on it but I fell no heat coming through the sunroof with the cover closed and very little with it open. Open its more the brightness/glare of the sun coming in than the heat and I'm in Texahotto

Users who are viewing this thread