5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Roof Durability

Rebel0716

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm in the process of ordering a Rebel and am wondering what everyone's experience has been with the durability of the panoramic sunroof over the long haul. I love the idea of having it, but am worried about its long term durability since I plan on keeping the truck for 10+ years and will mostly be keeping the truck outside in the northeast. I also worry about it from a stability standpoint when off-roading. If anyone can shed any light on their experience over the course of their ownership I'd appreciate it.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not different than a regular sunroof with the same potential regular sunroof issues. Mine has been trouble free

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’m only at 18,000 miles but no issues. I try not to use mine a lot because it seems like there are a lot of moving parts. I would actually be fine without it.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
When I ordered my truck I just had to have the pano roof. Now that I have it, I'm disappointed. With the seat all the way back, I don't get the view I was expecting to get from it. I was imagining my younger days when I had my t-top Camaro. I find myself not even really using it anymore. I don't think I would order it again.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is that no one knows for sure about the long term reliability of it. But that's to be expected since these have only been in production for 3 years. I will say that my 2010 Audi has a very similar panoramic sunroof, and it's had zero problems. It's parked outside year-round. 105k miles on that car. I wouldn't worry about the reliability of it. What I would worry more about is the fact that there is a giant hole in your roof. :ROFLMAO:

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm in the process of ordering a Rebel and am wondering what everyone's experience has been with the durability of the panoramic sunroof over the long haul. I love the idea of having it, but am worried about its long term durability since I plan on keeping the truck for 10+ years and will mostly be keeping the truck outside in the northeast. I also worry about it from a stability standpoint when off-roading. If anyone can shed any light on their experience over the course of their ownership I'd appreciate it.
You might want to take a look at some of the payload threads. The panoramic roof is going to shave a bunch of load capacity. That could be important if you plan to pull a trailer.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
The panoramic sunroof in the Ram 1500 is the same design as the ones that have been in the Chrysler 300 since 2011. We owned both a 2011 and 2014 300S with these panoramic roofs and they were both worry free. And since they have been around a decade, any problems would have likely been ironed out by now. We love the one in our 2021 Ram Laramie. And the AC in our 2021 does a great job at keeping us cool in the Arkansas summer, so there's no issue with the pano allow in too much heat. Just remember to close the shade when the truck is parked. And that's true for just about any sunroof.

The only downside is that this sunroof is pretty heavy. As already mentioned, it will cut your payload. With our well-optioned Laramie with panoramic roof, our payload is only 1404 lbs. But that's plenty for our needs. I own three other pickups plus a one-ton. So if I need to haul, I have other options.

Handy's 2011 Chrysler 300S with Pano.
300S1.jpg

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys

Ha… we can be pano roof test buddies here in the northeast. Whenever we get our trucks..lol.

I like to crack my sunroof in my Charger in the winters, just get some air circulation. Works well for me, plus it helps with windows fogging up. Obviously I can’t take that off-road, like I would with the Ram, but I will let you know when I hit the pine Barron’s here in NJ.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My sample set is admittedly very small, but the only panoramic sun roof I had was on a 2012 Grand Cherokee. In its 4th year the darn thing actually exploded outward while I was driving. Luckily I had the sun screen closed so no glass fell on me or my daughter but that turned me off of overhead glass permanently. I had never heard of a sunroof doing that until I did some internet searches and found that it is indeed a thing.

With the pressure inside cars any small flaw in the glass can eventually let go and "BOOM". It was so loud, I thought someone shot at me.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Longhorn - took delivery in 2/2020.

I go thorough touchless Carwash at least once a week - sometimes if its really dirty, ill go to Regular Carwash (it has more powerful water jets plus contact-scrubbing) and then through touchless (its 24 hrs).

Lately, the touchless carwash (lower pressure) is fine, but the Regular Carwash lets the water through the seals of Pano-sunroof. Took it to dealer, and they are ordering new seals for the rear portion of the sunroof.... I am disappointed at the quality of the sunroof !

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m only at 18,000 miles but no issues. I try not to use mine a lot because it seems like there are a lot of moving parts. I would actually be fine without it.
That's one way to cause issuesm. Not using it could cause issues when you do end up using it.like power windows in older vehicles that havnt been used in a while then when you do try and use them they break. Actually using it keeps the moving parts free.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
That's one way to cause issuesm. Not using it could cause issues when you do end up using it.like power windows in older vehicles that havnt been used in a while then when you do try and use them they break. Actually using it keeps the moving parts free.
Yeah that’s a good point. I still use it, just not a lot. But I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would anyone know if there would be any adverse effect on tinting the pano roof?

I’ve seen some videos that tinting it with some kind of reflective materials will reduce the cabin heat.

6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Would anyone know if there would be any adverse effect on tinting the pano roof?

I’ve seen some videos that tinting it with some kind of reflective materials will reduce the cabin heat.

6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

Dont know about Ram - but there have been reports of glass shattering on pano-roofs of other cars if they are tinted.

Something
about heat trapping and glas shattering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score

6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

Mines be tinted for a year now and no issues other than it's now cooler

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

Have had mine tinted for al.ost a year with zero issues

Users who are viewing this thread